10:30 AM flight home / Port Everglades to FLL

I am having second thoughts on booking a 10:30 flight home, arriving on a Thursday on the Vision. As close as the airport is, would there be morning rush hour traffic to deal with, and by what time would I have to arrive at the airport?

I am wondering if I should change to a later flight. Would I have to rush to make the 10:30?

I am aware that RCCL recommends a later flight and I do know that stuff happens.

Edited by muladybug

I am having second thoughts on booking a 10:30 flight home, arriving on a Thursday on the Vision. As close as the airport is, would there be morning rush hour traffic to deal with, and by what time would I have to arrive at the airport?

I am wondering if I should change to a later flight. Would I have to rush to make the 10:30?

I am aware that RCCL recommends a later flight and I do know that stuff happens.

If you were on Oasis or Allure, I would say you had no problem making that flight. However, depending on what terminal Vision is scheduled to use, and what time she is scheduled to arrive, I might want to change to a later flight. For example, if Vision is scheduled to arrive at 8am in terminal 24 or 25, then I'd be concerned. For some reason, disembarkation from those terminals seems to take longer than other terminals.

Edited by clarea

I would not worry about a 10:30 flight if you are doing the express, carry your own luggage departure. The airport is so close that you really don't hit the rough areas of Ft Lauderdale traffic. I would say 75 minutes is what you need to get from outside the port to on an airplane---unless you're flying Spirit, then add 4 months to your time needed.

I would not worry about a 10:30 flight if you are doing the express, carry your own luggage departure. The airport is so close that you really don't hit the rough areas of Ft Lauderdale traffic. I would say 75 minutes is what you need to get from outside the port to on an airplane---unless you're flying Spirit, then add 4 months to your time needed.
Lots of constriction/detours though.

Lots of constriction/detours though.

Good call on that. I'm from the area and go through there all the time so I am just use to it. If you are using a taxi or car service, they will know the way, still no added time for that. If you are driving, I would allow an extra 15 minutes just in case you go the wrong way.

I would definitely take my chances on that flight....there's nothing worse than hanging around, killing time after a great cruise! You really should have no issues. The airport is only about 12 mins. away.

I would definitely take my chances on that flight....there's nothing worse than hanging around, killing time after a great cruise! You really should have no issues. The airport is only about 12 mins. away.

The airport may only be 12 minutes away but there are other factors to consider like what if the ship is delayed or there is a delay in the debarkation process?:eek:

Oh, I can think of many, many things far worse than being at FLL awaiting a scheduled flight while surfing the web, catching up on email, chatting or reading after a great cruise. Of the many worse things after a great cruise: waiting on standby hoping for aseat on a later flight because I missed my early flight for some reason or another (ship delayed, debarkation slowed by CPB or something else, traffic at a standstill due to accident).

Edited by Starry Eyes

Last Feb we self-disembarked. Walked off at about 8:00. It took us over an hour to get through Customs. At the airport it was again well over an hour to get through Security. We were OK - had a 1:30 flight. I would have been a nervous wreck if we had anything earlier. Even though there's not much to do at the airport, it's better than stressing.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I appreciate the advice. I will probably rebook a later flight....even though it will land me in Chicago just in time for the dreaded rush hour traffic. I thought I'd avoid it with an early and direct flight. Oh, well.

(1992cruiser, your comment about Spirit Air gave me a chuckle :D)

10:30 is fine. Ya, the ship could be late getting in, you could be in an accident or get 4 flat tires on the way to the airport. There could be locusts between the pier and the airport. What if a hurricane strikes south Florida and the ship can't dock. I bet 95% of the time everything will go as planned. Nothing is 100% guaranteed. If your returning August 14th, I'll be on that flight to MDW.

Aft Cabins Rule

Edited by ATC cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

It would be helpful if the people responding to your question would mention which ship their experience is with, and if they self-disembarked.

From Oasis/Allure, it is possible to be at the airport by 7:30 if you self-disembark.

However, any other ship is a totally different story. They arrive later, and do not process the disembarking passengers as quickly and as efficiently.

Since the OP is not on Allure/Oasis, any experience you share about your disembarkation from either of those ships could be very misleading.

We got off Legend at PE and made a 10:20 am flight at FLL with no problem. I believe we were at the airport at 815 and we did the walk off

No one on here can speak for all other future ships, cruises that dock at PE, only what's happened in the past and then only if they sailed every ship/every week

Edited by setsail

Sorry, I was responding to the OP's original question, regarding the Vision of the Seas returning on a Thursday. I did the express walk off. Took a cab to the airport, and was thru security and at the gate by 7:50, for the 10:20 flight. My daughter even commented that we didn't need to leave the ship so early, some people are never happy. I should mention that I go thru the employee line at security, but this saved me less than 10 minutes. The TSA even randomly checked my 11 year old daughters hands for explosives residue. You read that right, they thought my daughter, not me, would be trying to bring down the plane. But they did let her keep her flip flops on. Tax dollars doing their very best.

Aft Cabins Rule

Just me, but I would NOT book a flight until Noon or after.. Any delay in customs or Immigration, and you are "stuck". :eek:

OP here :D,

I went to change to a later flite and the fare doubled in price. That took me off the fence. I am going to stick with the 10:30 flite and hope for the best.

I really appreciate all the opinions from both sides on this. Thank you.

there's nothing worse than hanging around, killing time after a great cruise! .

"nothing worse" really??? How awful..........

We like to hang around and kill time for a couple days after a cruise:D

Edited by bouhunter

My situation is also difficult as Southwest changed my flight from 1135a to 10a.

I'll be coming off Independence after a 14 day westbound transatlantic.

I've checked some other boards and people have made it for early flights with some getting off the ship at 715a with their luggage. I will be doing self express departure and hope for the best as you never know what might happen in customs.

Southwest does allow me to call at least 10 minutes before the 10a departure to make a one time change. The next flight is not until 430p.

It will be interesting!

Alan

My situation is also difficult as Southwest changed my flight from 1135a to 10a.

I'll be coming off Independence after a 14 day westbound transatlantic.

I've checked some other boards and people have made it for early flights with some getting off the ship at 715a with their luggage. I will be doing self express departure and hope for the best as you never know what might happen in customs.

Southwest does allow me to call at least 10 minutes before the 10a departure to make a one time change. The next flight is not until 430p.

It will be interesting!

Alan

Unfortunately, transatlantic cruises can sometimes take longer to clear customs. Every crew member has to see government agents, which slows down the guests coming off the ship.

Embarkation delays can and do happen. We had a cruise from FLL where we were not allowed to even begin disembarkation until around 9:30. You can only imagine the crush of people trying to rush off the ship - it was awful. Doubtful you would have made the flight that day. As luck would have it for us (and in this case, bad luck) a couple weeks before our cruise our airline changed their schedule and pushed our flight up half an hour. We were sailing with three 80+ year old relatives. All of us had to do our best to literally push our way through the crowds (all bets are off for any kind of manners when some people are stressed - they would have as soon knocked down our relatives as anything:)), and then we were running down the airport hallways to our gate (as best 80 year olds can run). We literally were the last passengers on the plane. Will never, ever, ever purposely put myself in that position again. Might you make it? Yes, a fairly decent chance. But I highly advise you to change your flight or at best make some good back-up plans.

OP here :D,

I went to change to a later flite and the fare doubled in price. That took me off the fence. I am going to stick with the 10:30 flite and hope for the best.

I really appreciate all the opinions from both sides on this. Thank you.

You should be just fine....yes, the big ships are a breeze to get on/off. The terminal was built just for them. Getting off Indy one time was a pain, but Vision has fewer passengers....

Just get a lower luggage tag number if you need to or carry off.

Have a fabulous cruise, enjoy!

If you were on Oasis or Allure, I would say you had no problem making that flight. However, depending on what terminal Vision is scheduled to use, and what time she is scheduled to arrive, I might want to change to a later flight. For example, if Vision is scheduled to arrive at 8am in terminal 24 or 25, then I'd be concerned. For some reason, disembarkation from those terminals seems to take longer than other terminals.

Can you please clarify what it is about Oasis/Allure that makes that flight time possible? Is it their early arrival? Efficiency of the terminal? Just curious, as I know very little about ship arrivals, the workings of terminals, etc.

I actually do have a 10:30am flight booked out of FLL after an Oasis cruise, so I am happy to see that we should be ok with that time. :)

Thank you