Carnival or Royal Caribbean

irishcraig

thanks for the info, oncruisecontrol, but for the next year or two, I will not likely be able to book any cruise unless I do so, at least 8 or 9 months in advance.

My job requires me to put in for vacation early in the year, and I tend to go in the fall, because of several reasons, so for now no other cruise line can come close to Carnivals price that far in advance for a solo.

But once retirement day arrives, woohoo!!! then I can hopefully branch out and try another line. But have to say Princess does appeal to me a lot.:)

There's a lot of nuances when you ask Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

If you've been on several Royal Caribbeans, try Carnival. You'll save a little money as Royal Caribbean is generally more expensive.

Carnival has a more diverse passenger base in my opinion. This changes the cruise experience a little. I feel more welcome on a Carnival ship than a Royal Caribbean ship. Both are very accommodating, but i just feel Carnival edges out there.

Food, both ships offer good food, but I feel Royal Caribbean edges out on the MDR food. Specialty restaurants, Carnival seem to do better.

Entertainment. I found Carnival's comedians to be far superior than royal caribbean, however, Royal Caribbean's stage shows are a little bit better. I find their singers and dancer are a slight step up in skill.

Service. I found Royal Caribbean reaches higher when giving personal service, but in doing so, I find they fail as often as they succeed. Therefore, I find Carnival gives you more consistently good service, but the wow factor goes with Royal Caribbean.

Ameneties. Royal Caribbean wins hands down. With flow riders, ice skating rinks, bumper cars and rock walls. They win here. But in my opinion, those are novelties, and they burn out fast. Once those novelties are exhausted, the ships become even.

Atmosphere. Royal Caribbean has a more mature atmosphere over Carnival. Their ships are nicer in my opinion. However, I find Carnival ships to more "fun". They seem to be able to relax me more than Royal Caribbean ships.

Bottom line, both are good choices. You should try it just to see how it is. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Which is better? I think that's impossible to say. They are both fun vacation. They both priorities things a little differently.

In my opinion, the food on Carnival is quite a bit better than the food that we had on Liberty of the Seas....

The food on Liberty of the Seas, IMHO, was inedible, especially the buffet food.

My opinion about the food on Royal is that it's of much better quality and more innovative than on Carnival, but at the same time, that means that many of the selections may not be as appealing to the average cruiser. When we sailed on the Enchantment a few weeks ago, we were actually thrilled about all the healthy options and various alternative dishes offered at the Windjammer as well as the Park Cafe. Many, many tasty dishes outside of the regular selections normally offered on Carnival, but I do understand that they may have not been what the "meat-chicken-potatoes" cruiser may have preferred. It was the first cruise in years when I've felt like I truly enjoyed going to the buffet, instead of just eating there for the sake of eating something.

I liked the Promenade on Royal, but it kind of feels like you're in a shopping mall with no windows. So, I give the edge to Carnival here as their Promenade has windows along the full length so you can appreciate the beauty of the ocean without being outside in the hot sun.

I think it really depends on the ship. While we did feel that the Allure lacked sea views on many of the public areas, the same can't be said about other Royal ships that we've sailed on. I have never seen as much use of glass or views like these on a Carnival ship:

V045_zps31af9085.jpg

V046_zps9d44036f.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I do know that there are plenty of windows which afford great ocean views on Carnival ships, but IMHO, they are not as impressive or as unobstructed, even along the promenade deck as you mentioned. There's a big difference between the views above and the one below

DSCF7894.jpg

Edited by Tapi

I have searched the Dailies of RCI ( Freedom of the SEas) and there is nothing to do. If you don't ice skate. climb walls. have a ticket to a show. ( like that but hard to get for when you want it apparently) gamble lay out in the sun.

ONE Trivia game a day. I like activities on sea days. I enjoy the people there as much as the activities. like Scattergories. Charades.

Port Canaveral is near my home. Am I missing something here?

My opinion about the food on Royal is that it's of much better quality and more innovative than on Carnival, but at the same time, that means that many of the selections may not be as appealing to the average cruiser. When we sailed on the Enchantment a few weeks ago, we were actually thrilled about all the healthy options and various alternative dishes offered at the Windjammer as well as the Park Cafe. Many, many tasty dishes outside of the regular selections normally offered on Carnival, but I do understand that they may have not been what the "meat-chicken-potatoes" cruiser may have preferred. It was the first cruise in years when I've felt like I truly enjoyed going to the buffet, instead of just eating there for the sake of eating something.

I think it really depends on the ship. While we did feel that the Allure lacked sea views on many of the public areas, the same can't be said about other Royal ships that we've sailed on. I have never seen as much use of glass or views like these on a Carnival ship:

V045_zps31af9085.jpg

V046_zps9d44036f.jpg

DSCF7894.jpg

Appreciate an honest opinion. Debating on booking RCI. many times. never do.

Like what were some of the alternative choices that you don't get on Carnival? I am not flaming. I am again talking myself out of booking Freedom of the Seas because there is nothing to do. I live in Florida. I get too much sun anyway. I am not young. I don't want to learn how to square dance. or line dance. I did that in Girl Scouts. The productions do look awesome. I would enjoy that. ++++

we were just on the 8 day Carnival to Aruba. We played trivia with a family from S.Carolina who cruises a lot. they did not like RCI because.....there was nothing to do.She said the last tome they were on the Jewel of the Seas...and they missed a port due to bad weather..could not tender..but RCI did nothing to put on activities or anything on what turned out to be a Sea Day. ANd they don't sail RCI anymore.

I read your posts a lot and usually am on the same page as you.

Love that picture of your Dog. I have a English black and grey Terrier. Called "Money Pit". He is allergic to Florida. Offical Vet's diagnosis. translates into $$$$$$$$$. But he is much loved. and an excellent watch dog. and has periods of being in remission.

Give Carnival a try. Variety is the spice of life! Your young, you will bounce back if it was a disaster... :cool: Maybe you will win the belly flop in pool contest :D

I have a few different cruise lines under my belt. I am in the process of booking either Celebrity or Princess for next November to mix it up a little more.

As far as activities and keeping busy, we enjoy Carnival much more than RC. After dinner and watching the show, we really enjoy walking around the ship and finding a musical group to listen to. I remember our 11 day southern Caribbean cruise on Jewel of the Seas about 10:30 at night - we could not find any entertainment at all! There was nothing going on! No live music anywhere!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Forums mobile app

Appreciate an honest opinion. Debating on booking RCI. many times. never do.

Like what were some of the alternative choices that you don't get on Carnival? I am not flaming. I am again talking myself out of booking Freedom of the Seas because there is nothing to do. I live in Florida. I get too much sun anyway. I am not young. I don't want to learn how to square dance. or line dance. I did that in Girl Scouts. The productions do look awesome. I would enjoy that. ++++

we were just on the 8 day Carnival to Aruba. We played trivia with a family from S.Carolina who cruises a lot. they did not like RCI because.....there was nothing to do.She said the last tome they were on the Jewel of the Seas...and they missed a port due to bad weather..could not tender..but RCI did nothing to put on activities or anything on what turned out to be a Sea Day. ANd they don't sail RCI anymore.

I read your posts a lot and usually am on the same page as you.

Love that picture of your Dog. I have a English black and grey Terrier. Called "Money Pit". He is allergic to Florida. Offical Vet's diagnosis. translates into $$$$$$$$$. But he is much loved. and an excellent watch dog. and has periods of being in remission.

When I cruise I like to have things to do. I found Disney had a ton and so does Carnival. Carnival gets the edge because of the things do day and night Disney shuts down early. I'm not into flow riders, rock climbing, etc so it sounds like RCI wouldn't be a great fit for me. Thanks for sharing this info. Very helpful.

Eta: Disney had to cancel a port due to weather and we had an unexpected sea day. The crew immediately came up with a slew of activities and even printed out a new daily schedule. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luv2sleep

Thanks for your comments.

Like what were some of the alternative choices that you don't get on Carnival?

Depending on which ship you sail on, the alternatives will vary. On the larger ships, you will have a hard time trying out all of the options available. Adagio (free), Brasserie 30 (free), Windjammer Marketplace (free), Sorrento's (free), Park Cafe (free), Solarium Bistro (free), Vitality Cafe (free), Boardwalk Dog House (free), Cafe Promenade (free), Chops Grille, 150 Central Park, Giovanni's Table, Izumi Asian, Vintages, Samba Grill, Seafood Shack, Rita's Cantina,

\Johnny Rocket's, and the Cupcake Cupboard.

We just sailed on the Enchantment, which is comparable in size to the Fantasy class ships (you can click on my review below for a bit more detailed information and photos). The list of alternatives is not as long as on the newer and larger ships, but we still enjoyed the options offered. The Windjammer Marketplace (buffet) is located forward, so you have a 270 degree view of the ocean. The place is divided into stations, instead of the more traditional buffet lines found on Carnival. Each station has a different type of cuisine, and as mentioned before, the quality just seems superior. For example, something as simple as a caprese salad was made with huge, plump tomatoes, and thick, tender slices of buffalo mozzarella.

In addition to the Windjammer, you have the Park Cafe which was was a wonderful alternative to the Windjammer buffet, and it's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Gourmet made to order salads, healthy sandwiches and paninis, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt parfaits, BIG muffins and other pastries, as well as their signature roast beef sandwiches.

At the My Fair Lady Dining Room, we loved selections like the Mojo Marinated Grilled Chops, Grilled Veal al Pepe Verde, Duck and Port Wine Terrine, Toasted Farro and Llamb Broth, and the Arugula and Bosc Pear Salad, etc.

And dont forget about the room service menu which is more extensive, and includes hot entrees. You can also enjoy full breakfast in your stateroom, including made to order omelets.

I am again talking myself out of booking Freedom of the Seas because there is nothing to do. I am not young. I don't want to learn how to square dance. or line dance. I did that in Girl Scouts.

About the entertainment, I really don't get people who say that they had SO much to do on Carnival but there was nothing to do on Royal. Many of the activities are basically identical, including, trivia, bingo, silly pool games, newlywed game, live music. (yup, Royal still has a Caribbean music LIVE band by the pool), but Royal takes it a notch higher (on the larger ships) with the professional entertainment, which basically leaves Carnival in the dust. Shows like Blue Planet, Ocean Aria, the full production musicals (like Chicago), and the various ice shows are a must. And you'll actually have full theater productions during the DAY. At night, if you're bored on these ships, you're consciously avoiding where to go. There's a LOT to do, including live music, night club, the 70's party (in the atrium). etc.

We played trivia with a family from S.Carolina who cruises a lot. they did not like RCI because.....there was nothing to do.She said the last tome they were on the Jewel of the Seas...and they missed a port due to bad weather..could not tender..but RCI did nothing to put on activities or anything on what turned out to be a Sea Day. And they don't sail RCI anymore.

We missed Coco Cay due to bad weather (thanks to Hurricane Arthur). They announced that our stop was canceled that morning, and within 30 minutes, cabin stewards were distributing a new Cruise Compass with activities for a day at sea! They didn't skip a beat!Kudos to them for having a plan B ready to go. I don't know what the people that you spoke to were looking for, but the list of activities for a sea day was just as comprehensive as what I've seen on other sea days, both on Carnival or Royal.

Those San Juan cruises usually are heavily discounted as the season goes on-at least in the summer/fall. The Adventure of the Seas is going to bring a lot more berths than the Jewel of the Seas presently there which should cause downward price pressure. You get boomeranged though by the air fare that climbs closer to the cruise. as you get closer to the cruise airfare is likely to skyrocket while cruise fare is dropping

My DW and I have been on both lines and we have cruised on the Valor. We are close to your age range. I agree with most of the replies, both are very similar cruises with regards to food and service. If you like a livelier nightlife then in my opinion Carnival edges out RCCL.

Like the OP, we have historically been RCCL people. We really like the product we receive from them.

My wife was on Carnival in the mid 80s and thought it was nothing more than a floating frat party on a filthy ship with lousy service and poor food (she was actually on the cruise that the American TV series "Growing Pains" filmed an episode on). So through the years, we have not even considered Carnival.

30 years later, we are looking for a last minute cruise. We booked the Valor out of San Juan mostly because we could get a balcony for the cost of an inside cabin on the RCCL ship doing a similar itinerary.

We were very pleasantly surprised. Everything about our experience on the Valor was similar to RCCL. The only exceptions have already been noted:

• The cabins on the Valor seem to be larger than our experience with RCCL. Even if they are not physically larger, they seem to make good use of the space. We didn't use all of the storage space we had available to us.
  • The entertainment is better on RCCL. Sorry to say this, but, the main shows on the Valor were really pretty bad. That being said, the comedians were some of the best I've seen at sea.

Moving forward, when we shop for cruises, Carnival will absolutely be a consideration and considering they seem to be less expensive, I wonder if I'll ever be on RCCL again?

Bottom line - book the Valor and don't worry about it.

I have searched the Dailies of RCI ( Freedom of the SEas) and there is nothing to do. If you don't ice skate. climb walls. have a ticket to a show. ( like that but hard to get for when you want it apparently) gamble lay out in the sun.

ONE Trivia game a day. I like activities on sea days. I enjoy the people there as much as the activities. like Scattergories. Charades.

Port Canaveral is near my home. Am I missing something here?

what do you do on Carnival that you think Royal doesn't offer?

I think you may have read a little too much into what I was trying to say. I am definitely NOT an avid meat/chicken/potatoes eater. In the main dining room when on any cruise, I am mostly looking for fresh-tasting, well prepared vegetarian items(no potatoes), shrimp, or pasta with a nice sauce (not necessarily a red sauce) and fresh vegetables, eggplant, squash, or polenta. I found the quality and preparation of the offerings on Royal disappointing, but at least they have Johnny Rockets so I didn't go hungry. I do like a good burger every now and then. It may have just been that particular sailing of Liberty, who knows. Carnival's food is not so good these days either, but I have a few "old standbys" that I order every cruise, so at least, I don't go hungry. But it's not like it used to be, sadly.

After a few cruises on RCL (not the Oasis and Freedom OTS which were crazy great), we felt "We needed the Carnival experience!"

Smaller ships at wrong time of year on RCL and it's like a geriatric ward...We even had a CD on Royal apologize...tho not his fault...

When in your 50's, and someone says to us , "Yeah, there's some young people!!" it's gonna be a long cruise!!:eek:

The Valor's a nice ship. You have to decide your priorities and book accordingly.

Mike

I have cruised both RCCL (3 times) and Carnival (over 15 times). I cruise solo and enjoy a lively nightlife.

Because I cruise solo and enjoy interacting and meeting new people, I prefer Carnival over RCCL.

In my opinion the activities offered on Carnival are designed specifically to encourage the passengers to interact with each other (trivia/silly poolside games/singalong piano bar/audience participation activities in the theater) while RCCL's layout and activities seem designed to allow people to stay within their groups/couples without feeling a need to interact with "strangers" (rock climbing/flowriding/ice skating). Even the layout of the RCCL Lido deck (whatever it is called on their mega ships) is designed so that half of the people are faced away from the masses with little barriers between groupings of loungers while Carnival's lido deck is designed so that everyone sees everyone and friendly conversations are a natural occurrence.

RCCL seems more like a hotel with "stuff" and Carnival is more like an adult sleepaway camp.

Breakfast is better on RCCL while the other meals are much better prepared on Carnival.

Also, as a solo female, the dining room table assignments are done totally opposite on these two cruiselines. On Carnival, when my gf and I tried to change tables once, the Maitre D refused to put two single women at a table with couples. He said he felt that our presence may make the other women at the table uncomfortable. I totally understood and was quite impressed that he was so forward thinking. On the other hand, on a solo cruise on RCCL, I was assigned to a dining room table with two couples and just me. It was o.k., except one couple spoke no English. The 5 of us were totally different and there was no common thread. Carnival goes thru great lengths to group people of likeness together (couples with couples, families with families, all solos together, mother/daughter groupings are put together and the list goes on). I like this bc this gives diners a common thread and a sense of comfort. My dining experience on the NOTS was quite uncomfortable and I eventually ended up eating dinner in the buffet b4 joining some other people at their table. RCCL seemed to make ZERO effort and just threw people at tables helter/skelter.

Also, I feel that Carnival staff is much more accommodating and more eager to please, while RCCL offered you a service and package with little or no wiggle room. I found RCCL to be a bit "take it or leave it."

All in all when I compared my experiences on these two cruiselines, I have always felt that Carnival worked harder to ensure you had a good time while RCCL worked harder to ensure you were presented with a pretty package.

Good luck with your choice but the difference in fare should be enough to wipe away any misgivings you may have about giving Carnival a go.

When I cruise I like to have things to do. I found Disney had a ton and so does Carnival. Carnival gets the edge because of the things do day and night Disney shuts down early. I'm not into flow riders, rock climbing, etc so it sounds like RCI wouldn't be a great fit for me. Thanks for sharing this info. Very helpful.

Eta: Disney had to cancel a port due to weather and we had an unexpected sea day. The crew immediately came up with a slew of activities and even printed out a new daily schedule. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My last cruise (make that last 2 cruises) on RCCL I was horribly bored.

I'll give you that Carnival is the less expensive line but I've never been bored, gone hungry, or had bad service on any cruise line. Sometimes I think too many get nit picky trying to validate their choice of lines. Try them all.

My last cruise (make that last 2 cruises) on RCCL I was horribly bored.

Is there nothing to do on RCI? Or you just don't care for their entertainment?

I thought with CCL's cutbacks in the entertainment area that you'd have more to do on RCI. Or did you miss the Hasbro game show and pax karaoke?

Bill

We're 32 and 27, and have been on 4 cruises with Royal Caribbean on 4 different ships; allure, freedom (east and west Caribbean), mariner and rhapsody in Asia and Australia.

We haven't cruised with another company.

We're looking at a Southern Caribbean cruise next June with RCI on adventure ots from San Juan but the price has gone up from around €1400 to €2000 in the past couple of weeks, so we had a look at other companies and found a similar itinerary with Carnival on their Valor ship priced around €1400.

Is there much of a difference between the 2 companies, does carnival have drinks packages, anytime dining, etc, etc....

Looking for advise from anyone that has experienced both lines or even better, been on both ships, adventure and valor.

We are long time Carnival cruisers. 27 Carnival cruises overall. Your getting feedback from a Carnival board. I would suggest these responses that say there is not much difference between Carnival and RCL should be taken with a grain of salt. There is a huge difference. Those who say there is not are kidding themselves. We have been on the Valor twice along with a myriad of other ships and cruise lines including RCL. (44 cruises overall).

As I am sure you know, you usually get what you pay for. Carnival basically will provide you with a clean ship, with ok food and poor entertainment. All this on ships that are just ok. May I suggest you take a look at Princess who have much nicer vessels, more food choices and little touches that Carnival have eliminated as they price themselves into the market. All this for more competitive prices then RCL. Good luck!

Is there nothing to do on RCI? Or you just don't care for their entertainment?

I thought with CCL's cutbacks in the entertainment area that you'd have more to do on RCI. Or did you miss the Hasbro game show and pax karaoke?

Bill

To be fair, it was a number of years (maybe 5 or so) that I took a RCCL cruise and at least 3 since I have been on a Carnival. I did a b2b on 2 different RCCL ships on my last go round. The first was the NOTS. It was o.k bc there was a big group of fun loving folks from Canada on that ship that kept the dance club hopping. The second leg was on the Majesty and the entire cruise was a snooze fest. It was a number of little things that was missing as well as the energy of my normal Carnival cruise. As far as feeling like they cared whether the passengers had a good time. . . that too seemed lacking. On the NOTS, I realized that the lido deck and most of the popular amenities (rock climbing, ice skating, ice show, etc.) were singular activities and not something that required a group. I felt very isolated (spell that "tolerated") on both RCCL cruises which (although solo) I have never felt on a Carnival cruise.

People can say what they want about Carnival cruisers but they are generally friendly, fun, funny people. . . even when they don't mean to be. :D

Again, this was all a few years ago so. . . but I doubt very much if I will do another RCCL. They just left me feeling "un-cruised":mad:

I have cruised both RCCL (3 times) and Carnival (over 15 times). I cruise solo and enjoy a lively nightlife.

Because I cruise solo and enjoy interacting and meeting new people, I prefer Carnival over RCCL.

In my opinion the activities offered on Carnival are designed specifically to encourage the passengers to interact with each other (trivia/silly poolside games/singalong piano bar/audience participation activities in the theater) while RCCL's layout and activities seem designed to allow people to stay within their groups/couples without feeling a need to interact with "strangers" (rock climbing/flowriding/ice skating). Even the layout of the RCCL Lido deck (whatever it is called on their mega ships) is designed so that half of the people are faced away from the masses with little barriers between groupings of loungers while Carnival's lido deck is designed so that everyone sees everyone and friendly conversations are a natural occurrence.

RCCL seems more like a hotel with "stuff" and Carnival is more like an adult sleepaway camp.

Breakfast is better on RCCL while the other meals are much better prepared on Carnival.

Also, as a solo female, the dining room table assignments are done totally opposite on these two cruiselines. On Carnival, when my gf and I tried to change tables once, the Maitre D refused to put two single women at a table with couples. He said he felt that our presence may make the other women at the table uncomfortable. I totally understood and was quite impressed that he was so forward thinking. On the other hand, on a solo cruise on RCCL, I was assigned to a dining room table with two couples and just me. It was o.k., except one couple spoke no English. The 5 of us were totally different and there was no common thread. Carnival goes thru great lengths to group people of likeness together (couples with couples, families with families, all solos together, mother/daughter groupings are put together and the list goes on). I like this bc this gives diners a common thread and a sense of comfort. My dining experience on the NOTS was quite uncomfortable and I eventually ended up eating dinner in the buffet b4 joining some other people at their table. RCCL seemed to make ZERO effort and just threw people at tables helter/skelter.

Also, I feel that Carnival staff is much more accommodating and more eager to please, while RCCL offered you a service and package with little or no wiggle room. I found RCCL to be a bit "take it or leave it."

All in all when I compared my experiences on these two cruiselines, I have always felt that Carnival worked harder to ensure you had a good time while RCCL worked harder to ensure you were presented with a pretty package.

Good luck with your choice but the difference in fare should be enough to wipe away any misgivings you may have about giving Carnival a go.

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but this post changed my mind.

1st issue- activities. In case you didn't notice RCCL has trivia, silly pool games, a piano bar where you can sing-a-long if you like, and although they don't use guests as entertainment in the theater, they do have a rather fun adult game called Quest that guests can participate in if they'd so desire.

2nd issue- pool area layout. Like Carnival, the majority of the loungers face the pools and are not separated from one another. In 15 RCCL cruises I have never noticed barriers other then structural pieces around loungers. Also, many people complain that you feel detached from the ocean on the so called mega-ships. So did you ever think that loungers facing the ocean might be good thing? Either way there are still plenty of seat that are together and facing the pools if that's the OPTION that you want.

3rd issue- dining room seating. If Carnival's Maître D does such a great job of seating people together properly, why did you and your gf want to have your table changed? In your 15+ Carnival cruises did you always get placed at tables with only other solo cruisers when you traveled alone? If not, how did the Maître D know it was ok to seat you with couples? Is there some kind of a questionnaire, that I don't know about, that is used to check for comparability of table mates?

I don't care who you or the OP cruise with, and I hope you each have a wonderful time with whoever you choose, but please don't contradict yourself when trying to make a point.

Cruzfitter. I am trying to line by line quote you but I guess I don't know how. Hence, I will answer based on my memory of what you just posted.

You seem angry at my experience and opinion. Too bad.

The maitre d. . . The reason why my gf and I wanted to change tables was bc we had booked our cruise separately and were in different cabins. Hence, we were put at a solo table in the dining room. On the first night of the cruise only one other solo showed up, a man. This man was a bit odd and made my gf feel very uncomfortable. Hence she wanted to change tables. The maitre d had a bit of a time trying to find a table that would hold two additional people. We were standing over him as he looked at the tables in the dining room. He would click on a table and then say, "No that won't work." After he did this more than once, one of us asked him why would that table not work? He responded that the table was full of couples and Carnival does not put single women at tables with couples because it may make the women at the table uncomfortable. I couldn't argue with that logic. Or he would come across a table and say, "this table his small children. I don't think you want that either." He was looking for a table with female to female cruisers (i.e., mother-daughter). He finally found a large table with 3 single girls (from Aruba) travelling together and a few single guys. I don't remember what their relationship was.

Yes, it is my recollection that in my 15 or so cruises with Carnival, every single cruise when I was solo, I was placed at the solo table. There is usually at least one or two each seating. When I would meet people, and talk to them, if dining came up, I would learn that woman-woman cruisers were paired with other women-woman, or families with small children were put at the same table. They also tried to pair by general age if possible to avoid putting a party loving group of 20-somethings at a table with retirees.

It is not rocket science. It just take a little software program to pair people up in the dining room. This is how my gf and I got put at the solo table. Our reservations was separate and Carnival had no way of knowing that we were actually cruising together. We were solo women about the same age, so the program or whatever they use put us at a table together. RCCL just doesn't bother or at least did not bother on any of my cruises with them. On my first cruise with RCCL, I was married travelling with my husband. We were at a table with a very strange eclectic set of fellow cruisers (solos, young, old, couples) and I felt that it would not have taken too much to have put us at a table more compatible. We ended up moving on our own halfway thru the cruise to the table next to us which was half empty and more compatible to the two of us.

Now for your indignation over my opinion. Comparing the two, Carnival is more my taste. Nothing is wrong with RCCL if that is your speed. It is just not a better cruise fit for me.

Edited by VacationCrazee

Just remembered another time, re: dining room assignments.

I once went on a cruise with my adult son. I am only 21 years older than my son. We shared a cabin. We used the same mailing address. However, we have different last names.

Since there was nowhere on our registration/check-in form to indicate that we were mother and son, Carnival dining room computer system assumed we were boyfriend/girlfriend living together. The beds were together when we got to the room. We had to have the room steward separate them.

Carnival assigned us to a table with 4 other "couples". All 4 of them were cohabitating adults. Yup, boyfriend and girlfriend living together but not married. They were closer to my age than my son's age. I guess they didn't have very many may/december couplings on that cruise.:p

You don't get your table assignment b4 you get on the ship so they probably assign tables the last 2 days b4 the cruise.

When those of us at the table realized what we all had in common (theoretically), we got a kick out of it.

Very simple computer program does that.