PG 4/30/05- motus

javafreek

I am so grateful for all of your expert advice! We are going on the PG cruise next year. I have read about the motus from many of the posts, but there is so much to do! If I am not confused, there is more than one motu, Tahaa or Bora Bora. If I am only going to one, which one is better? I think one doesn't have restrooms? Does one motu day replace the ability to go on the waverunners?

icon_cool.gifThe day at Tahaa is a motu day. RSSC owns the motu and has permanent facilities set up there. They bring food, booze, kayaks, and everything else from the ship to the motu. Guaranteed good time! You're in Bora Bora for two days and the second day is the best for the motu, because the ship is repositioned for the second day and the tender ride is shorter. Don't remember any facilities there. The motu is not owned by RSSC and it's no where near as nice as Tahaa. Don't miss the waverunner in Bora Bora. Fantastic!

While the Tahaa motu is nicely set-up with chairs, facilities, etc. IMHO the Bora Bora motu is not to be missed. The water is spectacular (and is missing the sea cucumbers from the Tahaa motu)... the snorkling is fantastic and the view from the motu of Otemanu (the peak of Bora Bora) is postcard perfect. It's much less crowded than Tahaa and you really get a feel for the natural beauty of the reef islands. There is also a bar set-up and we were not charged for our drinks. I have been told by several ship personal that they live for their afternoon break mid-week when they can visit this motu and last time we sailed the ship's captain and chief engineer were enjoying a game of 'boule' with their families. Fun!

Not really correct statement above. RSSC does not "own" the motu on Tahaa. They simply have an exclusive rental for the one day a week the boat is there. Should be obvious anyway when you see the spartan facilities.

It is like when people say Brando "bought" his islands in Tahiti. He simply signed a 99 year lease, he does not actually own them.

Slippyfun

The water is deeper right off the beach at the Bora Bora motu. We saw rays and larger fish snorkeling there, however both times we went on the trip the water clarity was better at the Tahaa motu. The Tahaa motu has the added attraction of exploring the area right inside the barrier reef. It takes some time to get there because the water is shallow and the current is against you, but you see some interesting sealife. The dive masters from the ship also do a "tour" at Tahaa so yousometimes see some things you might normally miss. I would not miss the waverunners for the motu. My recollection is that we did an excursion at Bora Bora both days as well as visting the motu. I may be wrong on this, I am sure I envy those who are going to FP and the Paul Gaugin.

Thanks for your info. I guess my worry is the lack of bathroom facilities at the Bora Bora motu since I am famous for "needing to go" at the inopportune times. Plus, if the drinks are free flowing and it's hot....

So is the Tahaa motu not on Bora Bora (it it visited the 1st full day?)?

Raiatea is first day, Tahaa is second day (Private Motu with facilities).

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords

4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise

11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)

3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188

Cruising Radisson - Where I belong!

From the Radisson site:

General Information

Enclosed in a common lagoon with Raiatea and accessible only by boat, Taha"a produces about 80% of all vanilla in French Polynesia. Taha"a is the only island in the Society Islands that can be completely circled by ship inside the protected lagoon. With its many deep bays and small deserted motu on the reef, Taha"a is an ideal island to escape the 20th century. Here you can explore the reef and discover the beauty of its multicolored lagoon, enjoy a picnic on a deserted motu or ride a 4X4 in the mountains and through the vanilla plantations and learn the mystery of these "orchids". With only a handful of guesthouses and two small hotels, Taha"a is slowly awakening to tourism and yet it still maintains an authentic flavor of Polynesia. It is here on our private idyllic "Motu Mahana", on the reef that surrounds Taha"a, that Radisson Seven Seas Cruises invites you for a day of relaxation, water sports and Polynesian hospitality.

You can do tours of Tahaa or do the Moto or both.....I just did the Motu - not to be missed - even if Radisson does not own it. icon_wink.gif

Todd

3/15/2003 Paul Gauguin

11/10/2003 Mariner - Cruising the Chilean Fjords

4/9/2004 Leaving Lost Wages Land Cruise

11/12/2004 Mariner - Cruising the Mexican Riviera (MINT Cruise)

3.jpg?dc=4675448422710665188

Cruising Radisson - Where I belong!

Just as an FYI, we did not have the Bora Bora motu option when we were there last October. I think it was because of weather conditions? We anchored in the same spot for 2 days and they never offered a tender to the motu, just to the main island.

The view from the Bora Bora motu is spectacular.

So is the view from the motu at Taha'a (by the way, Taha'a is a separate island, just very close to Raiatea).

Since you're in Bora Bora for two days, it makes sense to go one afternoon. The water is beautiful, but watch the current--it's strong.

The Taha'a motu day is also great. The food is good, the ambience nice, comfy chairs. The water is pleasant, but I agree the snorkelling is so-so.

Waa!! I wish I was going back!

Wendy

PG May, 2000

PG April, 2003

Diamond, 14/06/04

I guess each cruise differs according to weather conditions. We had the Bora Bora motu one afternoon and then again for the entire day the next day in September 2003. In Feb 2004 due to bad weather the Motu was cancelled the first day but we got to go there the second day.

Hi Javafreek:

Glad to see you are here at this site.

I sent you a note on the "other" site where you asked questions.

PS

At the top of the page where it says "find"

If you type in Paul Gauguin it will pull up a ton of info for you icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Jim B on 04-28-04 at 01:31 PM.]

Yes, I did try the search, but I guess there has been problems or work being done in recent weeks? I couldn't seem to get much or anything (even today). the board seems mixed up in order today...

Thanks again!

To answer the original question, the Taha'a motu on the second full day of the cruise has the best beach facilities, and has food. The snorkeling is a bit lacking, however. The Bora Bora motu (2 days) has pretty good snorkeling around a reef just offshore, but is a bit lacking in on shore facilities. Drinks a plenty on both. And both are experiences not to be missed.

Hope this helps,

Richard icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Ship's tenders run both days; wave runners are completely separate. Ride to the Motu at Bora Bora is shorter the second day (because the ship anchors in a different place). So if you're planning on an excursion one day and the Motu one (in Bora Bora) I'd recommend the Motu the second day.

Greg

USNA72

Archived