Silly question: white pants in September on Med cruise??

snookie1

I have read this thread with great interest as just this week my work colleague (who is going on a med cruise with Celebrity in 3 weeks) asked me if people wore white 3/4 pants. She said a friend told her white pants are a must. She is quickly running out of time to finalise her wardrobe.

I have never heard that white pants are such a 'fashion must'. I said 3/4 pants definately. But really?.... only White? .... Will show the smallest of dirt and you would forever be sending them off and paying for laundry. I don't think white pants is a big issue here in New Zealand. I think one needs to be careful wearing white pants, depending on the material and fit, white pants can be unflattering, creating many visual imperfections that may not otherwise be there.

I reckon we should wear the colours we feel comfortable in and if it suits our skin tones and works well with the colour top we wear - we will look great.

Edited by Embrace

Wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in. That fashion "rule" is very out of date.

Very similar to when you wore black for a full year after a loved one died. Some women wore it the rest of their lives after losing a husband.

Rules have changed , anything goes now

What I want to know is, how did this 'white rule' start and for heavens sake, why????

The rule of white after Labor Day stems back to the 19th century, when lighter-colored clothing made of airy fabrics like linen and cotton took the place of heavy, heat-absorbing clothing made of dark wool. The social elite in particular adopted white as their uniform at fashionable watering holes like Saratoga and Newport. When the summer season ended on the first weekend in September, they returned to their lives in the city by adopting a heavier, more soberly colored wardrobe. Regulating the wearing of white clothing helped guard the upper classes against upstarts whose lifestyles made wearing easily stained white impractical, as well as against those without the social acumen to recognize the rules.

The more ingrained rule to me was no white shoes after labor day. I have to admit that I still feel this. Like, even if it is now considered ridiculous, I probably can't wear white shoes in the fall/winter. Growing up in California, this might be related to it doesn't rain in the summer. In the fall it starts raining and white shoes would get muddy easily. This applies only to nice shoes. I can wear light-colored jogging shoes and feel ok.

The explanations of the rich and their light white clothing in the summer in the 1800's seems to be a reasonable explanation to me. But, for whatever reason, white clothing in fall/winter is still kind of a taboo that you have to think about, to me. I guess white just feels summery and not wintry. And if you don't see other people doing it you are less inclined to do it yourself.

I don't personally believe in this rule now, yet I kind of follow it!

White jeans AND white sneakers will appear on our Sept/Oct Canada and New England cruise just warning the natives :D

Funny :) but I wander .... the natives probably don't need the warning ;) ??? Oh, unless you are cruising somewhere not native to you??? - yes that makes perfect warning sense :D (having read the next cruises you have planned .. ooops). Enjoy - what ever the colour pants.

Edited by Embrace
later saw the poster's next itinerary.

Reading some of this thread has made me really keen to pick up some white trousers before the shops run out of summer stock. Need them to cruise and annual trip to Florida in November where I guess there are no rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

admittedly, slightly askew of topic, but what's the rule (proper etiquette) for guest wearing white to summer wedding? is it OK for female guest at wedding (not a cruise ship wedding ;) ) to wear a white/off-white/cream color dress? app. considered a BIG no-no in USA. interested in knowing if same 'rule' in other countries where brides traditionally wear white, off-white bridal gown, as I recently encountered this dilemna - or is it dilemma:confused:?

better stop here, only getting further off-topic & more spelling issues...but still interested in hearing what the cc fashion experts' have to say re: white at wedding, pls.:o

Ok this is my take. I real dont care if someone wants to wear white pants. I see the reason for not to wear white after Labor Day in the States. Has to do with weather, rain, dirt and non paved roads and puddles or potholes. White can get dirty so quickly I just would dont bring white pants on a cruise. If you were in Australia in the outback during the rainy season would you wear white pants?

admittedly, slightly askew of topic, but what's the rule (proper etiquette) for guest wearing white to summer wedding? is it OK for female guest at wedding (not a cruise ship wedding ;) ) to wear a white/off-white/cream color dress? app. considered a BIG no-no in USA. interested in knowing if same 'rule' in other countries where brides traditionally wear white, off-white bridal gown, as I recently encountered this dilemna - or is it dilemma:confused:?

better stop here, only getting further off-topic & more spelling issues...but still interested in hearing what the cc fashion experts' have to say re: white at wedding, pls.:o

Well, I have always heard don't wear white, because it upstages the bride. That is her color for the day. I am going to a wedding in October in Napa and am trying to figure out an outfit, and I keep thinking of something white on top (yes, that seems ok even after labor day :) ), but then I think I am not supposed to do too much white, or maybe even any white, because that is the bride's color for the day. One thing I won't do is wear the now often-seen (fashionable?) black to a wedding, but that is a whole 'nother topic.

Regarding weddings ... unless you are Kim Kardashian (ugh!) the bride may really not care if you wear white!

And, these days, not all brides are wearing white. So my advice would be to check with the bride if you'd like to wear white ... if you don't know her very well, check with the MOB or the MOG.

My son got married two weeks ago ... and his bride wore a beautiful chiffon gown in layers of different shades of green. It was perfect for her, and for the day (outdoors on a lake in New Hampshire)

I use to think that you couldn't wear white or black to a wedding, until I went to a very formal wedding at the Plaza Hotel in New York. i lived in Denver, not the fashion capital of the world, and looked and looked for a month for a non-black evening suit. I finally found a beautiful beaded blue suit (which i paid way too much for) and proudly arrived at the wedding, only to find 1/3 of the ladies in black...darn. I don't think the don't wear white or don't wear black rules apply any longer to weddings.

Maybe the only fashion rule in Australia is wearing ugg boots in public. Some teens do it but mostly they are saved for home. They never became the real fashion item here even though that's their origin. Or maybe, because that's their origin. I wear crocs in public but not those ugly ones just because I don't like them. But others do.

Edited by Pushka
z