Kenai Fjords Tours vs. Major Marine Tours in Seward

MalibuCA

My husband and I will be on the Crystal Symphony in early May 2015, and we would like to take a day tour cruise to the Kenai Fjords National Park when we visit Seward. I am looking at two different tour operators - Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine Tours. The tours seem to offer similar sightseeing opportunities. Kenai Fjords takes a maximum of 150 while Major Marine taps out at 200. Major Marine guarantees reserved seating whereas Kenai Fjords is first come first served for seating. Major Marine has a National Park Ranger on the tour as compared to the Captain providing information on Kenai Fjords. Both companies are very highly rated on Tripadvisor and both are competitively priced.

Have you taken either of these tours? Can you recommend which company we should use? Is there anything in particular that you did not like about a tour? Please help me to decide between Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marin Tours in Seward.

Thanks,

Shelley

I have taken both companies and they both do a very good job. In my opinion, the choice is merely a matter of personal preference.

Yes, Major Marine has a National Park Ranger --- we have always found the cpt. on Kenai Fjord to be just as informative.

Yes Major Marine has reserved seating --- we have NEVER had a problem finding a seat on Kenai Fjord.

Major Marine has a buffet meal (additional charge) --- Kenai Fjord offers a Chicken Caesar Wrap with carrots and a granola bar (no additional charge).

All of the Kenai Fjords captains have taken a special interpretative naturalist certification program through the National Association of Interpretation. Furthermore, a national park ranger is at Fox Island for those itineraries that include a stop.

Personally, I find the certified captains just as good, if not more experienced, than a seasonal ranger. They also have more options for touring and are the longest running company going into the park. They're also locally owned by the CIRI native corporation.

Major Marine is an excellent company but my preference has always been KFT. http://www.kenaifjords.com/experience/park-rangers-interpretive-guides/

Edited by Chenega

If you are going in early May, this may limit your choice on tours from either company since some don't start until later in May or early June.

We did the Kenai Fjords Tour on June 8th that included the prime rib & salmon buffet at Fox Island. Knowing what a meal like that would cost on land, I felt our tour was a decent value. In my opinion, dining in the lodge was a little nicer than trying to eat a big meal on the boat (which is how Major Marine serves their buffet.) We did eat a small lunch on the boat as well.

Being able to choose our own seats worked well since we found a table right next to the door on the main level. This made it easier for us to go in and out easier when we wanted to get a photo.

If you decide to go with Kenai Fjords Tours, make sure you sign up for their email newsletter. We were able to take advantage of one of their special discount offers that we received by email.

We were blessed to have beautiful weather the day we took our tour and it was the highlight of our trip. Here is a link to a portion of my cruise review with lots of photos of the Kenai Fjords. Kenai Fjords Tour Review & Photos

Thanks so much for all of the helpful tips. I've read in reviews lots of warnings about seasickness on these tours. While I don't ordinarily suffer from seasickness, it has happened to me once, and it was pretty dreadful. No worries for my iron stomach husband. Did any of you have experiences of seasickness or see lots of people on the tour who did get sick?

Thanks,

Shelley

Thanks so much for all of the helpful tips. I've read in reviews lots of warnings about seasickness on these tours. While I don't ordinarily suffer from seasickness, it has happened to me once, and it was pretty dreadful. No worries for my iron stomach husband. Did any of you have experiences of seasickness or see lots of people on the tour who did get sick?

Thanks,

Shelley

We took our ginger pills and did just fine. Some people weren't as fortunate.

Whether or not you get sick may depend on the weather..

Even on a good day, there's a short rough patch when the boat leaves Resurrection Bay and enters the Gulf of Alaska. I am prone to motion sickness but managed this part ok because it was a calm day. Fantastic trip !

However on 2 other Kenai cruises, it was rainy and windy so the seas were very rough. After we were out for 15-20 minutes the capt downgraded both trips to tours of the Bay, and even in the Bay was I feeling queasy. It was that rough. (I found the Bay tour boring).

My advice is; if the office staff says there's a chance the boat might not make it out due to rough seas ....take the full refund, otherwise you'll be stuck with the Bay tour.

We've taken both and are doing Kenai Fjords again next weekend. I prefer Kenai Fjords, especially if the one you're doing stops at Fox Island. For us lunch was included on Kenai Fjords and not Major Marine and Kenai Fjords is cheaper (we got 50% off both companies with a military discount offered). I think the product is pretty comparable honestly.

My family did a 6 hr tour with Kenai Fjords on July 3. Because of the warnings on here about seasickness we all took precautions. We were extremely fortunate and the seas were calm. The captain told us it was as good as it gets, even he took pictures!

The boat was very nice and not at all crowded. We chose Kenai because they had a special, so they were a lot cheaper. If you sign up, Kenai fjords tour will send emails with their specials. My deal was a cyber Monday sale, so I booked over Thanksgiving of 2013. they can't control the weather/seas, but all things they can control were great.

Have a great trip

I have used both these tour companies total, at least 30 times. I went out on 5 trips this week and 1 about 3 weeks ago. Both are excellent with good narration. they both make frequent stops at wildlife, and have multiple boats which are comfortable. From this week's experience, I will most likely stick with Major Marine. The benefits for me, are the assigned (no nonsense) tables, great meal add on (Kenai Fjords tour "meal" was terrible), Not a deal breaker, but Kenai Fjords tours now charges for all coffee and tea, where Major Marine is still comp. Major Marine now goes out to Northwestern Fjords, which is where I went with Kenai Fjords tour this week. Major Marine also has a tour that goes to both Holgate and Aialik glaciers.

There are coupon and "groupon" type offers more available with Major Marine, along with a standard 20% repeater discount. :)

.....From this week's experience, I will most likely stick with Major Marine. The benefits for me, are the assigned (no nonsense) tables, great meal add on (Kenai Fjords tour "meal" was terrible), Not a deal breaker, but Kenai Fjords tours now charges for all coffee and tea, where Major Marine is still comp. ..... :)

Ouch!! Somehow charging a fee for the coffee and tea seems a little "cheap" to me!

We did the Kenai Fjords Tour on June 8th that included the prime rib & salmon buffet at Fox Island. Knowing what a meal like that would cost on land, I felt our tour was a decent value. In my opinion, dining in the lodge was a little nicer than trying to eat a big meal on the boat (which is how Major Marine serves their buffet.) We did eat a small lunch on the boat as well.

/QUOTE]

If this is true, I would feel that it was a negative and not a positive. You are taking the boat tour to see stuff and not to sit on an island and eat a buffet lunch. The island lunch time would be just a waste of time to me.

Although you probably can not do it, we were on a DIY trip and we spent the night on Fox Island in one of their cabins as part of one of our Kenai trips. That was neat. The island was really nice once the boat trippers left the island.

The bigger decision would be which tour would give me the longest tour and the most time on the water. If they are the same, it is a wash.

DON

We went with Major Marine last year. We came in via train and I was concerned that we wouldn't get a good table on Kenai Fjords plus my mom is one of those that really likes order so knowing that we had an assigned table for the 5 of us gave the nod to Major Marine. It worked out great for us too - my son had broken his foot 2 weeks before we left for Alaska and was on crutches. We got on the boat and our table (booth) was right by the door and we were able to leave all our belongings in the booth when we got up to go out on deck. We were really lucky and had a bright sunny day with very calm seas.

I was concerned about getting seasick, so I started taking Bonine (the non-drowsy formula which still makes me drowsy) at night a few days prior to our flight to Anchorage and then continued throughout our DIY land tour. It helped me to sleep really good and I had no seasickness. In fact, no one on our excursion got seasick, the seas were that calm. The trip before ours, the seas were rougher and they had to delay the start of the buffet because of it. So just because one excursion is rough, don't assume yours will be, but be prepared just in case.

/QUOTE]

If this is true, I would feel that it was a negative and not a positive. You are taking the boat tour to see stuff and not to sit on an island and eat a buffet lunch. The island lunch time would be just a waste of time to me.

Although you probably can not do it, we were on a DIY trip and we spent the night on Fox Island in one of their cabins as part of one of our Kenai trips. That was neat. The island was really nice once the boat trippers left the island.

The bigger decision would be which tour would give me the longest tour and the most time on the water. If they are the same, it is a wash.

DON

Don, I too agree with your thinking. I also do not want my "time" spent on a meal and not "distance" seeing wildlife. I have ate at Fox Island and the food is good. But, reason I went there- was a good coupon 2 for 1 deal a few years ago. I also go out more than once every time I am there. For a first timer, single trip- having a wildlife priority, not a good choice.

I too would not be interested in spending time eating while in the fabulous Kenai Fjords National Park. There is just too much beauty and wildlife to waste time on a boat tour eating a big meal. Other than the little bit of time I spent wolfing down the sandwich on the KFT boat, I was outside the whole time. I can eat nice meals anytime; but cruising in Kenai Fjords is very special.

Not sure if our kids would be interested in a chicken Caesar wrap. Any other options on Kenai Fjords boats available for purchase? Can we bring our own food or snacks? We may be going right off the train so I'm not sure if we would have time to purchase anything else...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don, I too agree with your thinking. I also do not want my "time" spent on a meal and not "distance" seeing wildlife. I have ate at Fox Island and the food is good. But, reason I went there- was a good coupon 2 for 1 deal a few years ago. I also go out more than once every time I am there. For a first timer, single trip- having a wildlife priority, not a good choice.

While we've cruised Alaska 8 times, we've never had the opportunity to do a Kenai Fjords cruise, so it is now one of our priorities! Researching both operators, we see there are several tour options. If we have a whole day, which option offers the greatest potential for wildlife viewing, including birds? (Food is not a consideration for us!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not sure if our kids would be interested in a chicken Caesar wrap. Any other options on Kenai Fjords boats available for purchase? Can we bring our own food or snacks? We may be going right off the train so I'm not sure if we would have time to purchase anything else...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They also had a vegetarian wrap, I believe it had hummus on it. We had our own snacks. I think they had bags of chips for purchase.