Freedom of the Seas drydock

I don't know why some forum members think I'm making this up. Check out my posting history; I'm a long time lurker but minimal poster. The posted Twitter/Instagram photo shows the wake 1/4 mile behind thew ship where the prop wash has merged. I just took a photo this morning that shows 2 distinct prop wash trails. Due to some of the nuts on this forum, I will not post my Twitter account. Is there an easy way to post a photo without setting up an online photo sharing account?

I don't think you're nuts. I completely agree. Some people just don't want to face the fact that something like this could happen. Accidents do happen. Regardless of timing… It could be Murphy's Law.

All I did was find that one picture, and posted to ask for the one guy who is an engineer's opinion.

Hello! My name is Kevin.

I think one of the most helpful things that can be posted here are the actual arrival and departure times for each of the ports.

Are you referring to the scheduled times or the times the ship does in fact arrive and does in fact leave?

After I started reading this thread, I msged RCCL on Facebook yesterday to see if the azipod & Propulsion issues were fixed on the Freedom during drydock. I just booked my cruise on the weekend and was no aware there were issues before the dry dock (bad research on my part I guess - this was a last minute add to an existing vacation). My questions & the responses are below. If I hear back from them again I will let you know, although their social media dept probably knows nothing, I thought I would try.

ME: Have the Azipod and propulsion issues on the Freedom been resolved in the most recent drydock? I booked a Freedom of the Seas cruise for March 8 unaware that such a problem existed and now I am very concerned.

RCCL: Thanks for your question, Jessica. Yes, all issues on the Freedom of the Seas have been resolved.

ME: Thank you. The reason I asked is that there are people on board who attended Captain's corner and were told by the Captain and Chief Engineer that the fixipod is not operating correctly and requires additional maintenance. Can you please confirm that this is not the case? If there are existing issues, is it possible to change my cruise to a different ship?

I do not really have a major interest in changing anything, I just want to know what the response will be.

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

RCCL: Thanks for your question, Jessica. Yes, all issues on the Freedom of the Seas have been resolved.

ME: Thank you. The reason I asked is that there are people on board who attended Captain's corner and were told by the Captain and Chief Engineer that the fixipod is not operating correctly and requires additional maintenance. Can you please confirm that this is not the case? If there are existing issues, is it possible to change my cruise to a different ship?

Fellow Disney lover here. :) I'll be interested to read the response (if any) to your last comment. We don't board until May17.

After I started reading this thread, I msged RCCL on Facebook yesterday to see if the azipod & Propulsion issues were fixed on the Freedom during drydock. I just booked my cruise on the weekend and was no aware there were issues before the dry dock (bad research on my part I guess - this was a last minute add to an existing vacation). My questions & the responses are below. If I hear back from them again I will let you know, although their social media dept probably knows nothing, I thought I would try.

ME: Have the Azipod and propulsion issues on the Freedom been resolved in the most recent drydock? I booked a Freedom of the Seas cruise for March 8 unaware that such a problem existed and now I am very concerned.

I do not really have a major interest in changing anything, I just want to know what the response will be.

I seriously doubt anyone that responds to emails or answers the phone at RCI even knows the problem still exists. I am very interested in the response to your last question though! Although changing ships or dates is not something Im even considering.

There are 3 out of 4 stops on the Western route that I have not been to and I still dont care if we make it or not. :) I dont even care if we have 6 sea days with only a stop at Nassau to satisfy whatever that act is called. :o (PVSA?)

Yes, it is the PVSA and no a stop at a foreign port is not required unless a stop is made at any port, then at least one stop at a foreign port is necessary.

In short, a CTN does not require a stop at a foreign port.

I am very interested in the response to your last question though! Although changing ships or dates is not something Im even considering.

The only ship that would work for us would be the Allure on March 8 and all they have left for 3ppl is balconies which would be more than twice what we paid, so it would not work anyway. Plus we would have have to change to fly out of FLL which would be more.

We do not sail until March 8 so hopefully whatever problem does exist will be fixed by then.

Count me as just another lurker that's keeping an eye on this issue.....I've got 2 months before we get on board, so I've got time to let things settle out.

Don't they have to settle in before they can settle out? :confused:

While on the face of it this is good, the problem is, Royal Caribbean shore side staff (sometimes referred to as Miami) have credibility issues. Thus the earlier joke that not only would they deny there is a problem, they might also deny there is ship named Freedom of the Seas.

Edited by Cuizer2

The only ship that would work for us would be the Allure on March 8 and all they have left for 3ppl is balconies which would be more than twice what we paid, so it would not work anyway. Plus we would have have to change to fly out of FLL which would be more.

We do not sail until March 8 so hopefully whatever problem does exist will be fixed by then.

We're also on the March 8 cruise, and I don't expect there will be any issues with the pods that will impact that cruise. Once they get an engineer down into the pod and assess the problem (which will probably happen today - if it hasn't already happened when they were in Coco Cay), I expect they can have the repair parts and ABB crew waiting back at Port Canaveral to install the fix in short order.

In short, a CTN does not require a stop at a foreign port.

Thanks for the info! I have often wondered why Royal Caribbean didnt have more or longer CTN. I always figured the PVSA act was why. Guess there just isnt really a market for it.

We're also on the March 8 cruise, and I don't expect there will be any issues with the pods that will impact that cruise. Once they get an engineer down into the pod and assess the problem (which will probably happen today - if it hasn't already happened when they were in Coco Cay), I expect they can have the repair parts and ABB crew waiting back at Port Canaveral to install the fix in short order.

Good to be optimistic. I would go with the Chief's estimate of around 30 days. Some of this stuff just isn't "off the shelf" items, especially with today's business model of "just in time" inventory.

Good to be optimistic. I would go with the Chief's estimate of around 30 days. Some of this stuff just isn't "off the shelf" items, especially with today's business model of "just in time" inventory.

That is probably a reasonable estimate on time. The good news is that our cruise is more than 30 days out, so unless there is a mechanical problem that would require opening the pod from the outside, I have no reason not to be optimistic.:)

Marine traffic has finally updated on Freedom. At 8:30am Eastern she wasn't at Fallmouth yet and was doing 13 knots. (No to check my April cruise and see what her scheduled arrival is.

It looks like her fastest speed in 48 hours was 16.9 knts.

Edited by BillOh

That is probably a reasonable estimate on time. The good news is that our cruise is more than 30 days out, so unless there is a mechanical problem that would require opening the pod from the outside, I have no reason not to be optimistic.:)

32 days till we sail on March 8th (honeymoon). So I'm concerned.

Not to mention that you would need a really strong shelf for some of the parts!

Again, based on my experience with the Freeport shipyard, there may not be a drydock slot available for 3-4 months or more, so if the repair cannot be done internally, they will pull the blades and leave it until a drydock slot is available. Given that just docking and undocking, and the cost of days in dock would be about $60-80k, plus the loss of revenue, I feel they would postpone another docking for a couple years.

My memories from last week's Captain's Corner briefing:

- Crypt being converted to cabins on the first floor and a specialty restaurant on top floor. About 100+ new passengers :(

- Cupcake venue going away

- Diamond Club becoming Concierge Lounge

- Card room on deck 14 becoming new Diamond Club

- Viking Crown Olive or Twist will replace the Crypt during the late hour disco events (much like other ships use the Viking Crown of late).

- It was not asked and was not volunteered what will be going in where the existing Concierge Lounge is on deck 10.

Those are the things I remember. She is going to be alongside doing some initial work at Freeport then will be in dry-dock proper for around 3 weeks. Sorry didn't take notes.

Thank you so much for the info on these changes. They all sound good to me. We go on the Freedom usually twice a year. We are going with a small group on Feb 22. and I set it up, so I feel more confident. Donna

I'm boarding the ship on Sunday so Im a little more anxious to see if Freedom can make the run from Cozumel to Canaveral in under 34 hours.

-Sean

That is my concern also -- we board on Sunday, 2-22 and if FR comes into Port C late, embarkation will be a nightmare. FR and EX have had bad embarkations over the last two months.