Question about porrty training

luvjftffc

This is the first cruise I'm taking with my daughter. We have put off cruising until she was old enough to join a kids club and she turned 3 in May. We are working on potty training for our upcoming December cruise on Oasis. Things are going well, but I have a question regarding toilets in the children's area. Are they adult size or smaller child friendly size? If they are adult size we have to work on getting her to climb up an adult toilet rather than a kid size one, which I know they make, since they have them in the area malls. Just wondering if this will be an issue. Thank you.

I tried to edit heading but it will not let me...sorry

Edited by luvjftffc

Lol, I am in the exact same situation as you, except we are going on Freedom.

We are in full potty training mode in my house in preparation for the cruise.

I am sure they have the smaller toilets in kids club.

However, you could email customer services at RCI to get a 100% definite answer.

They do have kid-sized potties in the kids clubs.

For the cabin, we brought a plastic step stool that didn't take up much room in our luggage when placed upside down and then filled with clothes. There are also fold up ones.

For ports we used the "potette" - a folding travel potty (to avoid icky bathrooms and since you often need to find a place quickly - they can't hold it very long when they're just starting out).

Best,

Mia

We bought this one for our cabin for our June cruise and will use it again in October.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60248418/

Very handy and takes up no space.

They definitely have smaller toilets on NCL in the kids' area - can't speak for other lines. Oddly enough though our 2.75 year old had a hard time getting up onto the small toilet - it was just a little bit too big (and he is a tall kid). Weird.

We're good to go for potty training. DD will be 3 1/2 by our cruise and goes mostly independent. Sometimes we have to remind about flushing and washing hands.

I was concerned about the height of the toilets too. Good to hear they have smaller ones. I also like the idea of the step stool. We have a folding one that should pack well.

Now, I just hope she isn't scared to go because of the flushing noise. :eek: Ship toilets are quite loud! Sometimes in public bathrooms (with automatic flushing) it takes her by surprise and really scares her.

Has anyone experienced this? How did you handle?

Thanks for all the great tips!

Have her leave the bathroom before you flush! It's not THAT loud...just different from land toilets!

That will NOT work if she's in the kids' club. You might try making a bit of a game of it, like let's listen for the loud whoosh so she knows in advance what to expect.

While we have been working on potty training for now 2-3 months. what happens if she isn't? can she go into the baby side and I don't mind paying hourly if I need to for a few hours a day. I'm hoping to have her trained by then but just scared she wont be. or what happens if she is and has an accident in the kids area? has anyone has this problem before?

In the morning- we would have breakfast and my son was not permitted to go to the youth program until he used the toilet. This was a bit of a problem because the toilets scared him but he really wanted to go- so would comply. Then I would check on him frequently and ask if he need to use the bathroom. I know he was afraid of them but when I picked him up for lunch, I'd make sure he used the toilet before returning again to the youth program.

They will not kick a child usually for an "accident" but if it is more than one, they may.

My advice to you is to wait and see. If she isn't potty trained by then or is still using pull ups, then she'll have to be with the babies. At the end of the day- you can't force this process and it may even be a set back for her on the cruise- because it is an unfamiliar place.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

While we have been working on potty training for now 2-3 months. what happens if she isn't? can she go into the baby side and I don't mind paying hourly if I need to for a few hours a day. I'm hoping to have her trained by then but just scared she wont be. or what happens if she is and has an accident in the kids area? has anyone has this problem before?

I feel for you. I thought my DD would NEVER get potty trained. And we started introducing the potty at about 18 months. Around February (just after her 3rd birthday) my sitter started having her wear panties during the day at her house and sending her home in a pull up. She did great all day and then would come home and poop in her pull-up. In March DH and I were getting ready to go on vacation and leaving her with grandparents. And I decided she was just going to wear panties and I would deal with accidents. It look less than a week.

Now, not saying your experience will be the same, but with us, it was a matter of her being ready and US (DH and I) being ready. During the "holiday season" (which was pretty much Halloween until after her birthday), I was not really ready to deal with it, so I did not push it. But after the rush and the winter lull set in, I could tell that she was ready and I was ready.

So, as a related question, does anyone know if Carnival has kid size (or short) toilets or at least little step stools in camp. I would assume so, but I don't know. In public DD is pretty good at getting herself up there, even though she is a little shorty, but usually she has a "spotter" there. But mommy and daddy won't be there at camp.

Edited by cruzinlisa