First Transatlantic In October

gordylad

It's too bad that video doesn't show any of the mayhem you describe which is strange since you took the time to do that video. 46 mph winds are not all that significant on these ships.

We've encountered bad weather....30' seas off the coast of spain last fall and although there was some movement causing you to hold handrails, I didn't see many even missing a meal :) We have done three and soon a fourth TA and most of the cruises have been so calm you could have canoed next to our boat safely...most are incredibly smooth.

I would not worry about the weather...these are large ships and unlike tornados and earthquakes which occur with almost no warning, they pretty much know how to avoid weather issues.

It's too bad that video doesn't show any of the mayhem you describe which is strange since you took the time to do that video. 46 mph winds are not all that significant on these ships.

We've encountered bad weather....30' seas off the coast of spain last fall and although there was some movement causing you to hold handrails, I didn't see many even missing a meal :) We have done three and soon a fourth TA and most of the cruises have been so calm you could have canoed next to our boat safely...most are incredibly smooth.

I would not worry about the weather...these are large ships and unlike tornados and earthquakes which occur with almost no warning, they pretty much know how to avoid weather issues.

I did not take that video

The worst part was around 3am

Valcun ask Howie( he is the Cruise Cardinal) or Take it easy on you roll call about Nov 2012 TA,

Edited by Airbalancer

As you will see from my signature - I love Transatlantic cruising. One trip the sea was so calm - really like glass - even the Captain was calling it Lake Atlantic! Far more smooth trips than rough ones. In fact I only remember one rough day on one of the cruises and that was coming into Bermuda.

T/As are the best - fabulous long days at sea so relaxing. Must book another!

Enjoy.

Edited by Deeliteful

I am looking forward to my first Transatlantic in October too. I have good 'sea legs' so not too worried about that part of it, but I do not like to be cold (unless really necessary). I chose the Infinity for a southerly crossing from Harwich, down to Lisbon, then westbound, so I hope it will be reasonably warm. I am still struggling to work out the clothing I will need. Will it be T-shirt weather from Lisbon? maybe a pashmina for the evening? or will I need more warm clothing? Or do I just need to take a bit of everything???

:)We have done 3 TA's out of Rome and loved them all plus our next cruise is a TA out of Barcelona this coming October. So far, all great weather which is a crap shoot no matter where you cruise from or to. Our worst was out of New York to the Caribbean and back.

The only thing bad thing about a TA is the flight (soooo long). A couple of things I would suggest - go to Rome well before the cruise if you can. Our first time was 3 days early (was not enough for all there is to see and enjoy the wonderful restaurants), second time was 5 days early (still felt we could have enjoyed more time, third time 7 days pre cruise (good but probably not been enough time had we not been there two times before).

Also I would suggest a car service prearranged to pick you up at the airport as it really takes the stress out of a long flight. It is just a little bit more expensive than a taxi but the car service will be there waiting outside of the luggage pickup area with a sign with your name on it. They know where to take you (even if they do not speak English) and help you with your luggage to their car. Sit back and relax. Our hotel made the arrangements for us but it is also easy to go online to find a service.

The first time we took the train to the port (won't do that again) and last two times we took a car service to the port and while a bit expensive is a great start to the cruise as it is quick and relaxing service from your hotel right to the ship. But do be careful as some car services cannot go all the way to where the ship is docked. They require a special license so if you go this route be sure to confirm their ability to take you past the security gates to the ship.

Oh thank you! We are getting pretty excited now :)

Ooooohhhh the 25 hr days is another bonus!

I hope you enjoy yours!

Eventually breakfast was stated an hour early, as so many people were waking early, due to number of 'gained ' hours. We had an extra one as well, as Europe put the clocks back 1 hr on the last Sunday in October, so it meant we gained a total of 6.

We also had the added bonus of a partial Eclipse!:p

We did our first (and sadly only so far...) Transatlantic on Reflection's Inaugural TA Voyage in 2012. My husband loves at sea days, but I wasn't so sure about that many. They ended up canceling Tenerife so we even had two more straight sea days, 11 I think. We LOVED it. It was December, so the first few days were a little cool....they provided wool blankets on deck and for our balcony. I must say it was the most relaxing vacation we had ever had...we could not remember what day it was - and who cares!! We had a great, active roll call with several activities and met lots of great people. I think you will love it!

My only worry was that if something happened to one of my (grown) children, there is really no way to get home...but can't spend your life worrying about such things I guess and all was fine. We will do another one when we can get the time - we're both still working at the moment.

I am looking forward to my first Transatlantic in October too. I have good 'sea legs' so not too worried about that part of it, but I do not like to be cold (unless really necessary). I chose the Infinity for a southerly crossing from Harwich, down to Lisbon, then westbound, so I hope it will be reasonably warm. I am still struggling to work out the clothing I will need. Will it be T-shirt weather from Lisbon? maybe a pashmina for the evening? or will I need more warm clothing? Or do I just need to take a bit of everything???

We did this westbound TA on the Infinity last fall, and I would say "a bit of everything." It was a little chilly the first few days, but I was wearing shorts around the ship for a good part of the crossing, and I was certainly in the pool on a number of occasions.

TAs are fun! Have a great crossing!

We also had the added bonus of a partial Eclipse!:p

A fantastic bonus indeed. Here's a little reminder :) (I think Celebrity missed a good marketing opportunity there; they should have sent the Eclipse to see the Eclipse.)

Eclipse10_zpsd8a41813.jpg

(solar eclipse of November 3, 2013, by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

wow. I am already so excited for our Nov TA but now I am beside myself :D!!!

Thanks for the great advice re Rome. We were only staying 2 nights and have extended that out to 6 but acknowledge it won't be enough! that annoying pastime named "work" has done it's magic!!!

We did not realise that the west bound gained an hour, but I truely think that extra hour each night will help enhance the chilax factor! :)

wow. I am already so excited for our Nov TA but now I am beside myself :D!!!

Thanks for the great advice re Rome. We were only staying 2 nights and have extended that out to 6 but acknowledge it won't be enough! that annoying pastime named "work" has done it's magic!!!

We did not realise that the west bound gained an hour, but I truely think that extra hour each night will help enhance the chilax factor! :)

It does indeed... We have done 1 each way and you do notice the extra time west bound 😊 and you certainly notice the 23 hours eastbound!! 😫

We were on that same TA on the Equinox in Nov 2012. There was one night that really was rough and Airbalancer is correct in the fact that several balcony windows were broken and the ship was rocking and rolling . Our cabin was on Deck 7 and everything on the desk rolled onto the floor. But, this happened in the Med between Italy and France. The captain tried his best to avoid the storm, but it was a dilly. The remainder of the cruise was very smooth and the Atlantic was far calmer than we had expected. We will be sailing on our 2nd TA this November and we are looking forward to it.

We do Transatlantics and we just love them. We buy a return ticket and go over to Europe, fly home, then fly to Europe and sail home...Its the best. We are doing one in November on the Constellation and can't wait. We did the Silhouette in April and it was great...and gorgeous weather...