Currency Exchange Reminder

socaldave

Just a reminder for those of us with smartphones:

There are a number of apps that convert currencies in an instant which makes us more knowledgeable travelers, consumers and hagglers (is there such a word).

Enjoy your travels. :cool:

There are a number of apps that convert currencies in an instant which makes us more knowledgeable travelers, consumers and hagglers (is there such a word).

We used an app for this on our China land trip...also a language converter...both came in very handy.

Some of us might think that those devices create a generation of idiots that cannot even make change without a computer to tell them how much. Mental math is becoming a lost skill since the advent of calculators, smart phones, etc.

Hank

Some of us might think that those devices create a generation of idiots that cannot even make change without a computer to tell them how much. Mental math is becoming a lost skill since the advent of calculators, smart phones, etc.

Hank

No problem when I travel with my DH as his math skills are quicker than all the above gadgets...but the conversion apps are what's handy for us.

Thanks for the reminder!

Hank

Hank, I couldn't agree with you more. When I went to Europe last year, I knew the conversion rate and whenever I considered a purchase, I calculated in my head whether or not I considered it a good value.

Don't get me started on spell check. Another crutch that enables people to become lazy.

Some people can dance. Some cannot. Some people are good at different sports, and some are not. Some have artistic skills, and some do not.

I am a professional with two degrees, but have always struggled with math. Using a conversion app does not make me lazy. It makes me smart enough to get help with the things I don't know.

We can't all be Alan Turing.

Edited by Laughing Angel
To thank socaldave for the tip

The reality is that as we become more advanced that we al don't use the skills we might have.

Before the cash registers of today (terminals) people had to figure out how much change they had to give you. Today they don't.

In school before calculators people had to know the fundamentals. Today they don't.

Before automatic transmission everyone had to drive manually. Today most don't.

That's life.

The apps are a big help. You still have to think if you want to think.

Keith

Even though I am a young sprite I agree with what Hank said.

There are of course some exceptions but mental maths is not too difficult once you have got the pattern. I am dyslexic and a teacher and I have taught myself how to get better and quicker and processing information/problems.

I guess one of the most important things is getting a good exchange rate for your money before your start. :)

Edited by Velvetwater

I went to the store today. I had a 20% off coupon. My total is $218. The clerk gives me $10 off. I said, I don't think so. He says well, what do you think it should be. I said, well using quick math, 10% of $218 would be closer to $21 so 20% would be closer to $42 - not $10. Oh, okay and he plugs in the amount, asks for a supervisor override and off I go.

The reality is that as we become more advanced that we al don't use the skills we might have.

Before the cash registers of today (terminals) people had to figure out how much change they had to give you. Today they don't.

In school before calculators people had to know the fundamentals. Today they don't.

Before automatic transmission everyone had to drive manually. Today most don't.

That's life.

The apps are a big help. You still have to think if you want to think.

Keith

ROFL Keith. You are assuming that folks remember how to think. Many younger folks have learned how to think and some of us older folks are too demented to remember how to think :). But I am a senior who happens to be a techie and it scares me. I used to have an amazing sense of direction and could drive a car almost anywhere in the US or Western Europe with little aid other then a lousy map. But after several years of using a GPS I am not sure I could go around the block without a GPS telling me where to turn.

As to manual transmissions, both DW and I are very good with stick shifts and I actually love to get them in Europe. But on a few occasions we have actually had rental car agencies (in Europe) try to convince us to get expensive upgrades to automatics because "Americans do not know how to drive a manual."

And then there are ATMs, which we use to get all of our cash on our extended European trips. To be honest, we do not even think about getting currency since its just a matter of getting to an ATM wherever we happen to be. But we have actually met fellow seniors that are afraid to use an ATM. On our recent Ruby Princess cruise we met one couple (in their early 70s) who told us they had never used an ATM. Go figure,

Hank