Marriott or Boscolo in Rome

rosie#1

Hello,

We will be staying in Rome one night pre-cruise next April. We would like to use Marriott points for our stay. I have read reviews on all three and one doesn't seem to stand out from the others. We have been to Rome several times and we really don't have any plans except to walk around. We will be using car service to/from the airport and port. Any opinions as to which one has the best location?

Boscolo Exedra Roma

Piazza della Repubblica 47

Rome, 00187 Italy

Boscolo Palace Roma

Via Vittorio Veneto, 70

Rome, 00187 Italy

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

Via Vittorio Veneto, 191

Rome, 00187 Italy

Edited by rosie#1

My husband (Marriott platinum member) and I recently stayed for a week at the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora. We originally had reservations at the Boscolo, but then I read they didn't give a free breakfast to gold and platinum members, so we switched. We got a room upgrade to a suite with a private terrace, which was great. The breakfast is served in a rooftop restaurant with a beautiful view of Rome. It's in a great location, right next to the Borghese Gardens, across the street from Harry's Bar and down the street from the American Embassy. The closest subway stop is about a 10 minute walk away. The staff and concierge desk were very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

My husband (Marriott platinum member) and I recently stayed for a week at the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora. We originally had reservations at the Boscolo, but then I read they didn't give a free breakfast to gold and platinum members, so we switched. We got a room upgrade to a suite with a private terrace, which was great. The breakfast is served in a rooftop restaurant with a beautiful view of Rome. It's in a great location, right next to the Borghese Gardens, across the street from Harry's Bar and down the street from the American Embassy. The closest subway stop is about a 10 minute walk away. The staff and concierge desk were very helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

No doubt it's a nice hotel, but it's also good to know that the location is not exactly central to many of Rome's sites. If you want to be in a quiet location that's either a long walk or a short ride from the main sites, it would be a good choice. But if you prefer to have a hotel that's more central (and bustling in the evenings), I'd consider something else.

Thanks. Breakfast at the Marriott is defiantly a plus. I didn't even think about the executive lounge etc... I am going to check with Boscolo to see what they offer, if anything.

It looks like the Boscolo Exedra may have the best location of the three.

No doubt it's a nice hotel, but it's also good to know that the location is not exactly central to many of Rome's sites. If you want to be in a quiet location that's either a long walk or a short ride from the main sites, it would be a good choice. But if you prefer to have a hotel that's more central (and bustling in the evenings), I'd consider something else.

True. But, when using Frequent Guest points/certificates, beggars can't be choosers. My last stay was up in the hills at the Rome Cavalieri. Yep, it was FAR away from everything. BUT, I had free nights certificates for any Waldorf hotel. I made it work - better to be anywhere in Rome than NOWHERE in Rome ;)

For those Marriott choices, just walk downhill to get to the "sites". It's not that long of a walk down. At Piazza Barberini, turn down Via del Tritone. That will take you to the area near Trevi Fountain (look for directional signs). Then, you can keep going to the Pantheon area, and further to the Colosseum. If you want to take the Metro back, take it to the Spanish Steps station and you can walk through up to the top of the Via Veneto or to the Barberini station and walk up the Veneto. Our Cavalieri shuttle dropped off/picked up at Piazza Barberini, so I did this route frequently. If you are a walker, it's pretty darn easy.

It's a short walk to the subway, then a quick ride to all the major sites. It's also easy to walk from the hotel. However, if you want a noisy, busy location, instead of staying on a relaxing tree lined street next to a beautiful garden, then it's not for you. Personally, after staying in hotels on busy streets and being awakened at 3 am by drunken revelers, I'll take the quiet location.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

It's a short walk to the subway, then a quick ride to all the major sites. It's also easy to walk from the hotel. However, if you want a noisy, busy location, instead of staying on a relaxing tree lined street next to a beautiful garden, then it's not for you. Personally, after staying in hotels on busy streets and being awakened at 3 am by drunken revelers, I'll take the quiet location.

I've stayed in the Centro Storico more than a dozen times and I have never been awakened by drunken revelers at 3 am!

Most nicer hotels have triple glazed windows; you cannot hear normal noise when they are closed.

The only time street noise ever bothered me in a Rome hotel is one near the train station where the unstoppable heating system forced me to leave the window (onto a busy street) open.

True. But, when using Frequent Guest points/certificates, beggars can't be choosers. My last stay was up in the hills at the Rome Cavalieri. Yep, it was FAR away from everything. BUT, I had free nights certificates for any Waldorf hotel. I made it work - better to be anywhere in Rome than NOWHERE in Rome ;)

I agree; if you can get a stay using points, I'd definitely do that. I've never used any type of public transportation in Rome no matter how far out. Just walked everywhere.

And, although I've stayed in many quaint and charming apartments in the middle of busy cities, sometimes I'd rather have a nice, modern air-conditioned room to come back to in a quiet area at the end of the day, especially one with a nice rooftop bar that has a good view.

Our son and daughter in law joined us for a voyage that began in Rome in late April of this year and we put them up at the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora. They really enjoyed the hotel and found the service to be top notch.

There are gong to be very few people who have stayed at all three hotels and can give you a comparison.

I would read reviews at http://www.tripadvisor.com

Keith

For those Marriott choices, just walk downhill to get to the "sites". It's not that long of a walk down. At Piazza Barberini, turn down Via del Tritone. That will take you to the area near Trevi Fountain (look for directional signs). Then, you can keep going to the Pantheon area, and further to the Colosseum. If you want to take the Metro back, take it to the Spanish Steps station and you can walk through up to the top of the Via Veneto or to the Barberini station and walk up the Veneto. Our Cavalieri shuttle dropped off/picked up at Piazza Barberini, so I did this route frequently. If you are a walker, it's pretty darn easy.

I understand; I was just trying to let anyone considering the location on via Veneto may not be what the poster had pictured if they wanted to be close to the center.

Everyone's got different priorities when it comes to where to stay. I am frugal in a lot of places when traveling, but I am careful to pick a hotel in a location I like. I'd even rather stay in a relatively dumpy place that's close to the action than in a nicer hotel that's farther away..... Mainly because I travel solo and I'd rather be close to the hotel after going out to dinner at night.

I understand; I was just trying to let anyone considering the location on via Veneto may not be what the poster had pictured if they wanted to be close to the center.

Everyone's got different priorities when it comes to where to stay. I am frugal in a lot of places when traveling, but I am careful to pick a hotel in a location I like. I'd even rather stay in a relatively dumpy place that's close to the action than in a nicer hotel that's farther away..... Mainly because I travel solo and I'd rather be close to the hotel after going out to dinner at night.

Understand, too. But, since the OP mentioned they wanted to use their Marriott points, I went with the available choices.

Like you, I travel solo. If I'm paying, I'll try to get somewhere close to where I want to spend my time. I blew a wad my first time in Rome to stay at the de la Minerve near the Pantheon because I loved it's location (and it was my first post-divorce trip and I was going "first class"). But, when I'm using points or can get a good employee rate, I'll stay wherever my points/rate will get me and just go from there. I'd rather get a "free" (via points) or under $100/night room and walk a little further. If they aren't available (can't always get an employee rate), I'll search for other choices closer to where I want to be. My current employer has one hotel up on Via Veneto, another one on Via Vittorio Emmanuele - If I can get a rate, I'll gladly stay either place!!!

Edited by slidergirl

I generally stay far away from chain hotels when in Europe--way too generic and I feel like I am missing out on the local color/flavor.

I did make an exception in Venice when I was incredibly lucky to get the Hilton Molino Stucky for $135/night on Hotwire. That's about half of what a middle-of-the-road hotel in Venice proper would be. Since we are Hilton Gold members, we got incredible upgrades to a canal view room, free breakfast, wine, hors d'oeuvres, etc. So in that instance it made sense--also, that is a Hilton like no other, being a converted flour mill, tons of charm--nothing run of the mill about it! ;)

Thanks for all the comments. We are set on using Marriott or Hilton points even though the properties may be a little farther out. You can't beat the price. :) After reading Trip Advisor I didn't really come away with a feeling that one was better than the other. We are leaning toward Marriott based on the reviews I have read on CC.

Thanks for all the comments. We are set on using Marriott or Hilton points even though the properties may be a little farther out. You can't beat the price. :) After reading Trip Advisor I didn't really come away with a feeling that one was better than the other. We are leaning toward Marriott based on the reviews I have read on CC.

The Marriotts are closer to the center than the Cavalieri ( one Hilton choice). There is another Hilton property, Hilton Garden Inn Claridge, but it is north of Borghese Park, basically just as far from the center than the Cavalieri. I haven't stayed there, so I can't speak to it's quality. If you go to FlyerTalk and look it up, you'll get some comments.

Now, if you need a hotel near FCO for a night, the Hilton Rome Airport is a good place to stay on points. Connected to the parking structure and railroad terminus and airport, can't be beat.

I generally stay far away from chain hotels when in Europe--way too generic and I feel like I am missing out on the local color/flavor.

I did make an exception in Venice when I was incredibly lucky to get the Hilton Molino Stucky for $135/night on Hotwire. That's about half of what a middle-of-the-road hotel in Venice proper would be. Since we are Hilton Gold members, we got incredible upgrades to a canal view room, free breakfast, wine, hors d'oeuvres, etc. So in that instance it made sense--also, that is a Hilton like no other, being a converted flour mill, tons of charm--nothing run of the mill about it! ;)

If you stay at a chain, you do have to pay attention to properties to find some "non-chain"-like properties. I've found some good ones in Italy particularly. The Westin Regina & Europa in Venice, the Westin Florence, the St. Regis Florence - all definitely NOT chain-like. The Cavalieri in Rome looks rather drab on the outside, but the inside and the rooms are definitely not Hilton chain-like. Too bad they did away with offering Golds and Diamonds their breakfast for free - that stoked me up for an entire day of walking!!!

My vote is for the Hotel Marriott Flora. I stayed in that area and admired that hotel when we left the Borghese Park. The view from there is probably one of the best in the cities because it is high on a hill. The Marriott is a bit cheaper than some of the others on the Via Veneto. I love the Via Veneto and the Park. As for walking- we walked to the Pantheon, restaurants, the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps from there. It isn't a bad location at all. It's nice.

Rome is very compact. You can walk nearly everywhere except the Vatican. Most people do taxi to the Vatican. You may also want to taxi to the Colosseum and Forum. We walked one way and taxi'd back. Taxi's aren't expensive to and from the various sites.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain