Indonesian Rijstaffel

laurmac

The last 2 HAL cruises we took were B2B's. Both times, as a thank you for taking the B2B, HAL invited us to an Indonesian Rijstaffel lunch on one of the Sea Days.

These were the culinary highlight of both trips.

Looks like our next cruise is likely going to be a 16 day non B2B. (Looking at Circle Hawaii in Sept on the Zaandam with 10 sea days)

Is there likely to be a Rijstaffel Lunch?

Who would they invite ?

How would I find out about it?

If I don't get on the invite list, how might I beg, borrow or steal an invite?

On our last 2 Collectors Cruises -- absolutely nothing special. Not a cocktail party or the Indonesian lunch.

One time on a Collectors Cruise they made it sound like the Indonesian lunch we were invited to was just for us -- nope -- the entire ship could come.

We did a 15 day Hawaiian one time on the Amsterdam -- nothing special.

Every ship seems to do the Collectors/B-to-B differently. We've had a served and a buffet Rijstaffel, a Pinnacle dinner in combination with Cocktail parties.

But, you don't automatically see these all the time, they are not something HAL does all that often.

On a non-B-to-B, Hawaii in particular, the Suite Luncheon is sometimes the Rijstaffle. Also, sometimes the Dutch guest are invited to this, too.

Maybe you should buttonhole the HD and ask about it. With all those sea days.........

Right, we had an Indonesian rijstaffel as the suite luncheon on the Ryndam last summer on a 2-week cruise. (Not a b2b.)

Same here on our recent Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam. We enjoyed it very much, but what's not to like with a nice lunch served in the PG, with all the waiters beautifully dressed in their Indonesian outfits. :)

I've notice lately that there is no a lot of consistence to what Hal does, or individual ships. Some times they have them on longer cruises some times not. Something I have learned on Hal is not to expect anything, and if your lucky you get a nice Rijstaffel lunch.:)

I've notice lately that there is no a lot of consistence to what Hal does, or individual ships. Some times they have them on longer cruises some times not. Something I have learned on Hal is not to expect anything, and if your lucky you get a nice Rijstaffel lunch.:)

Lately?

For us the inconsistency of HAL has been ongoing for several years.

Has anyone had the buffet Rijstaffel? We had it once and it was beautifully presented in the center area of the lower level of the MDR. All the regular dishes and a few we hadn't seen before. Super!

Lately?

For us the inconsistency of HAL has been ongoing for several years.

Has anyone had the buffet Rijstaffel? We had it once and it was beautifully presented in the center area of the lower level of the MDR. All the regular dishes and a few we hadn't seen before. Super!

Wow that sounds really nice but we have never had a Rijstaffel buffet. What ship and what cruise, inquiring minds want to know.:D

Oh, sorry SilvertoGold lately to me means the past several years, sorry I didn't make myself clean enough.

Edited by PathfinderEss

In fact the only reason we book Collectors Cruises instead of booking them separately is to save a few dollars.

That's the only reason I need! :D Anything over and above that is mere gravy.

Edited by RuthC

Thanks all for the input. I am guessing that my best option is to send a note to the hotel director and ask him to please consider including us should a rijstaffel be offered on the cruise.

Good idea. You'd never know if you don't ask. I'd do it early, like on embarkation day. Good luck!

My last two cruises (Zuiderdam Alaska and Amsterdam Holiday Panama Canal) the Rijstafel was the Suite luncheon. Both times it was waiter service. On the Zuiderdam it was in the Pinnacle; on the Amsterdam it was on the lower level of the MDR.

Wow that sounds really nice but we have never had a Rijstaffel buffet. What ship and what cruise, inquiring minds want to know.:D

Oh, sorry SilvertoGold lately to me means the past several years, sorry I didn't make myself clean enough.

Melody

The Buffet one was on an Alaska, Vancouver to Seward to Vancouver, three years ago. It was either the Zaandam or more likely the Statendam. We did that specific cruise on both of those ships that year and on the other one we got a Pinnacle dinner for the Collectors.

They seated everyone first and presented the Soto Ayam, then you made your way to the buffet. A class act, even the Executive Chef was out there supervising. We told him how much we liked it and he said we were the only ones who said so. There were about 40 pax; a few were on a long shorex.