be careful with your purse, backpack, etc

Tbay

I have a Pacsafe cross body and I think the pickpockets recognize them and select other targets:eek:

I'm another very satisfied Pacsafe cross body user. For those not familiar with the line, they incorporate a number of different security features, such as slash proof straps with embedded wires; wire mesh built into the pockets to make them slash proof; RDIF-blocking pockets for credit cards and similar; security hooks on zippers; and strap buckles with a security tab. They fit comfortably at your waist or over a shoulder, and when additional security is warranted, slung over you chest. They have a wide range of other secure travel products too, but this is my favourite.

Got off the Noordam this morning and took the train to Rome. At the station in Rome, someone spilled beer foam down my arm, and back. I didn't see it or feel it happen. While distracted, trying to clean up, someone stole my husband's backpack. Realized after, hindsight is great, that we were set up. The helpful person who gave us tissue, was the one who spilled the beer and stole the pack. So please be careful and don't let go of your purse, backpack, etc. Now to get a new passport....

I had read in a guide book about "helpful" locals cleaning a spill off you. So, when we were in Madrid and some one was hoping to 'help' clean something leaking from the backpack we instantly backed against a wall, saying no thanks.

The guy whose accomplice had squirted liquid on the backpack walked away.

My husband carries his wallet and passport in a flap over button pocket in his shirt. That guy would have gotten nothing picking pockets. I do not carry a purse but a neck wallet tucked in my shirt. The cord has wire in it so can't be cut or ripped off.

Out of all our travels, DH's pocket was picked only once. It was in Madrid in a fabulous candy store in Plaza Mayor. It was late in the afternoon and our last stop before going back to our hotel so DH did not have a lot of cash in his pocket but when he reached into his front pocket for it, it had been nabbed. Thankfully, he wasn't carrying a wallet and his credit card was in his shirt chest pocket so all his lost was a small sum of money. We considered ourselves very lucky.

We had two other 'close calls'. In Rome, we were with another couple walking Via Veneto after a lovely dinner. The men were about 10 paces in front of me and my girlfriend. I noticed two gypsy children come up behind the men and it was clear their intention. I screamed 'heads up' which I knew would make the men turn to see what was my problem. Their turning made the gypsies run away.

Other time was in Paris. We were at Eiffel Tower and I was the target of a 'squeeze play'. One pickpocket/thief in front of me and one behind. I was wearing a smallish cross body handbag across my chest and had my right hand securely on top of the closed zipper top. Because they couldn't grab my pocketbook quickly and easily with my hand firmly on it, they took off. Again..... we were lucky.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. It's a good reminder for everyone.

Last year I was in a nice shopping mall in Boston. I was looking at the mall directory and a lady came charging into me almost knocking me to the floor. There was no reason for her to smash into me. Lucidly, she did not get anything but it scared the heck out of me.

While waiting in line to enter the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam, we caught a 6 year old with his hand just reaching into our daughter's purse. I grabbed the little bugger's wrist and yelled "Who owns this kid?" - the parents quickly came and grabbed him and ran. We were in a large queue and there were probably half a dozen children who were hanging around the outer edges of the line with ice cream cones, appearing quite innocent. My spidey-sense started to tingle and that's when the fireworks began.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Other time was in Paris. We were at Eiffel Tower and I was the target of a 'squeeze play'. One pickpocket/thief in front of me and one behind. I was wearing a smallish cross body handbag across my chest and had my right hand securely on top of the closed zipper top. Because they couldn't grab my pocketbook quickly and easily with my hand firmly on it, they took off. Again..... we were lucky.

Sail, you've described exactly the way I wear my purse. I have bad shoulders, so it acts kind of like a sling. DH wore a fishing vest with a zillion pockets, very chic and cosmopolitan, so a thief never knew if he was getting a CC or dried apricots. :D

Those fishing vests for men are fabulous for out and about when touring.... if it isn't too hot.

I agree! I love vests, but even they are too hot in Europe and south America most of the time. I have never found anything comfortable for hot weather that has the security features I need.

OP, thanks for the reminder. These thefts can happen anywhere. A lady on our cruise had her wallet taken from her purse on the 12th day of our cruise. Sometimes our guard drops when nothing bad has happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always wear my bag across body holding it in front of me with right hand under and left hand over the top - at least in crowded areas.

Another tip - remember those old fashioned nappy pins (ok, diaper pins)?

Insert one inside your bag and across the zip, this will stop the zip being slid back by those thieving fingers. Thankfully, I've never had a problem.

On a train or bus, especially when it's standing room only - I glare at people who stand near me - I'm either very scary :D:D or this alerts them to keep away.

Most of you seem to recognise places that are notorious for pick-pockets but I haven't seen Palma in Majorca mentioned. The area near the Cathedral is a well known spot for thieves, usually they have children or babies in their arms.

We almost always drive a car in Europe and avoid the big touristy areas. There is plenty to see elsewhere.

igraf

Very sorry this happened to you, and thanks for the warning.

We had an attempted pickpocket at the train station near Versailles. We were being careful, and there were posters all over the station warning people about pickpockets! You really have to be careful in Europe, particularly in the stations.

We almost always drive a car in Europe and avoid the big touristy areas. There is plenty to see elsewhere.

igraf

Rental cars have their own issues. We have driven far more then 15,000 miles within Europe and are always extra careful when we are using our car in certain countries (especially Italy, Spain, and even parts of France). Rule #1 is never leave any valuables in a car! This means not driving around with your luggage in the car unless somebody stays with that car at all times. Rule #2 If you must leave your car with luggage inside, make sure that every piece of luggage is well hidden (hard to do with many hatchback European cars). #3. In many places it is never safe to leave your car parked at a highway rest stop unless somebody stays with the car. This is especially true in Italy and Spain where gypsies prey on cars in these car parks. In one well-known road rest stop (between Rome and Naples) there is even an old pensioner who supplements his income by accepting a gratuity to watch cars while their occupants use the facilities.

And there have also been some well thought out scams using flat tires to steal valuables. At a rest stop (or gas station) one of the thieves (often gypsies) will puncture the tire (tyre for you Brits) to cause a slow leak. They will then follow the car until it must pull over to make repairs. At that point these folks will stop and offer to help change the tire. At this point, while the occupants are distracted (with all their luggage out of the car so they can access the spare tire) the thieves will snatch the valuables and quickly leave.

Folks need to always be on alert for scams/robberies. This includes taking extra precautions to avoid being nailed by pickpockets/purse snatchers and always protecting every piece of luggage, backpacks, etc. Being alert is often good enough to cause the bad guys to look for easier targets. In over forty years of extensive international travel we have never had anything stolen, but have had to foil attempts in Italy, France, Spain and Turkey.

Hank

Rental cars have their own issues. We have driven far more then 15,000 miles within Europe and are always extra careful when we are using our car in certain countries (especially Italy, Spain, and even parts of France). Rule #1 is never leave any valuables in a car! This means not driving around with your luggage in the car unless somebody stays with that car at all times. Rule #2 If you must leave your car with luggage inside, make sure that every piece of luggage is well hidden (hard to do with many hatchback European cars). #3. In many places it is never safe to leave your car parked at a highway rest stop unless somebody stays with the car. This is especially true in Italy and Spain where gypsies prey on cars in these car parks. In one well-known road rest stop (between Rome and Naples) there is even an old pensioner who supplements his income by accepting a gratuity to watch cars while their occupants use the facilities.

And there have also been some well thought out scams using flat tires to steal valuables. At a rest stop (or gas station) one of the thieves (often gypsies) will puncture the tire (tyre for you Brits) to cause a slow leak. They will then follow the car until it must pull over to make repairs. At that point these folks will stop and offer to help change the tire. At this point, while the occupants are distracted (with all their luggage out of the car so they can access the spare tire) the thieves will snatch the valuables and quickly leave.

Folks need to always be on alert for scams/robberies. This includes taking extra precautions to avoid being nailed by pickpockets/purse snatchers and always protecting every piece of luggage, backpacks, etc. Being alert is often good enough to cause the bad guys to look for easier targets. In over forty years of extensive international travel we have never had anything stolen, but have had to foil attempts in Italy, France, Spain and Turkey.

Hank

But this applies to everywhere, not just Europe. We had a friend attacked and robbed during a "broken down" scam in Washington state.

All of these tips can apply anywhere and everywhere. I currently live in rural NC but I lock my car doors everywhere and all the time. That's because I've had my car broken into while living in Salt Lake City & Washington DC (and I had my license plates stolen once, and I've had police stop a break-in another time while they were out on patrol). Years of habit. And rural towns are NOT crime free!

My husband won't travel without pants that have zipping pockets, and even then, we don't carry what we don't think we'll actually need on that trip out of the apartment/hotel room/cruise ship cabin.

Hank

Thank you very much for this timely posting. We are leaving for a non-cruise Europe vacation in a couple of weeks, and will be renting a car for a couple of days in France. Appreciate the warnings.

If hiring a car and your passenger is map reading, be careful if you stop for directions. A friend was doing exactly this with her handbag at her feet. The map was wide open on her lap and one of the "helpful" thieves slipped their hand under the map and her bag was gone. The map hid her view of the hand slipping in and the bag disappearing plus she was distracted by the directions being given by the accomplice.

One never knows what they will think of next.:(

But this applies to everywhere, not just Europe. We had a friend attacked and robbed during a "broken down" scam in Washington state.

Be aware of distractions and invasion of personal space occurring simultaneously anywhere in the world! :cool:

Anywhere..... including your local grocery store. How many handbags are snatched out of shopping carts while women are deciding which tomatoes look the best?

I remember reading here on CC about a couple who rented a car to visit Sawgrass Shopping Mall before going to Port Everglades to board their ship. They left all their luggage in the car and when they returned 2 hours later, it was gone. They never saw it again. :(

I live in as safe an area as anyone and it is habit for me to get out of my car no matter where I am and never leave it without locking it. If I am driving alone, the doors are locked and if I put my handbag on the seat beside me, I use the passenger side seat belt to loop through the pocketbook handle.... especially if I have the windows open. Hard for a thief to quickly grab it if it is secured by the seat belt.

Its a different situation in the US. In our country a criminal is likely to just shoot you and take whatever they please. And in Washington they are liable to be nice and high on legal pot :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We have a similar amount of experience in Europe. A lot of these problems are avoided by simply not going where the throngs of tourists go. Crime follows the tourists, especially us American tourists, and there is so much to see elsewhere. Especially in the overlooked smaller towns. We rarely feel unsafe in our European travels.

For example, later this month we will be driving down from Germany to northern Croatia rather than driving to Rome. Did you know that the best preserved Roman arena is in Croatia rather than the Coliseum in Rome? Last time we were in Croatia I asked the hotel manager how many Americans stayed there, and he answered that we were the second American couple all summer!

My advice is not to bring valuables at all. Leave the iApple products and jewelry at home, and don't ever walk around with a bulky SLR camera with a huge telephoto lens! Anyone who grabs my suitcase is going to end up with a lot of extra laundry.

Good advice with regard to the scams. Beware of cute kids with petitions in Paris asking if you speak English. Do not engage them under any circumstances.

igraf

Hank

Edited by igraf