Ebola Threat

Responder

Thank you for your kind interest in our cruise, but your post had virtually nothing to do with the thread.

Believe it or not, you cannot be the only one right and everyone else is wrong.

Each time you come up with your rhetoric, you simply command more replies and therefore more attention to the failings of Regent in the communication department. Perhaps other forum spectators are not as interested in racking up a higher post count...

My advice would be to give it a rest, because if you read the voluminous replies, you will see that everyone requests you to rest..

I suppose that's just a kind way of saying that no matter what your logic tells you, you have hurt Regent in a major way, and no post that you can possibly conjure up will make it whole again.

That thought also extends to the fact that no matter if or when Regent ever speaks, no matter what they say will not carry much credence going forward.

Are your really still counting my posts?:eek: I understand that you feel that no matter what I write and no matter what Regent says or writes, it will not carry much credence going forward. Given these feelings for Regent, does this mean that you will not book future cruises with them?

I suppose that you will continue your negative posts about Regent, I will post my views and Regent may or may not be in contact with passengers. And so it goes................

Are your really still counting my posts?:eek: I understand that you feel that no matter what I write and no matter what Regent says or writes, it will not carry much credence going forward. Given these feelings for Regent, does this mean that you will not book future cruises with them?

I suppose that you will continue your negative posts about Regent, I will post my views and Regent may or may not be in contact with passengers. And so it goes................

My dear, I am not the least bit interested in what you write..

My interest lies in what Regent does, as it's evident that they have no idea how to communicate with its $800-1000 day customers.

What interest could you possibly have in whether I book future cruises with Regent? Do you receive a commission?

TC, I am trying to understand your reasoning--that is one reason that I have posted here far more often than I have ever posted on CC.

You write:

Thanks Mark..... sorry that we do not seem to understand each other's reasoning. I suspect that if we were discussing this in person, it would be different.

Perhaps I am really missing something, but could you please explain to me any potential downside for Regent or any reason why they would not want to contact all passengers to inform them of how their itinerary will or will not be affected by the government-issued travel restrictions for Cape Verde. This is a government-issued travel restriction which directly affects the passengers on this cruise. Again, even if they have a waiver or know that the ban will be lifted, what is the potential downside of direct communication with every one of the affected passengers?

Again, I am trying to understand your reasoning, but unless you can suggest some possible downside to Regent informing these passengers directly about how they plan to circumvent the restriction, I will never be able to understand your position that Regent has no responsibility to do this. I simply do not see any valid reason for either your or Regent's position here.

No matter how this corporate disaster plays out, I think it is rather telling about these top guys that they have allowed their biggest cheerleader to get stomped on publicly to the point that this has. Travelcat2, I can't believe that you would have gone like this if you did not think that at some point your good friends would come with some support to back up all the "rah rah" Regent stuff. Are you not the slightest bit disappointed? I actually feel badly for you. I hope you will be able to enjoy your cruise like any regular passenger and let Regent sort this out because they have done you no favors.

TC, I am trying to understand your reasoning--that is one reason that I have posted here far more often than I have ever posted on CC.

You write:

Thanks Mark..... sorry that we do not seem to understand each other's reasoning. I suspect that if we were discussing this in person, it would be different.

Perhaps I am really missing something, but could you please explain to me any potential downside for Regent or any reason why they would not want to contact all passengers to inform them of how their itinerary will or will not be affected by the government-issued travel restrictions for Cape Verde. This is a government-issued travel restriction which directly affects the passengers on this cruise. Again, even if they have a waiver or know that the ban will be lifted, what is the potential downside of direct communication with every one of the affected passengers?

Again, I am trying to understand your reasoning, but unless you can suggest some possible downside to Regent informing these passengers directly about how they plan to circumvent the restriction, I will never be able to understand your position that Regent has no responsibility to do this. I simply do not see any valid reason for either your or Regent's position here.

Mark....

Do you ever feel that you are beating your head against a wall?

Do you really expect a cogent answer to your questions? There are no answers that you will get from her other than the repetitious monotonous scripting.

No matter how this corporate disaster plays out, I think it is rather telling about these top guys that they have allowed their biggest cheerleader to get stomped on publicly to the point that this has. Travelcat2, I can't believe that you would have gone like this if you did not think that at some point your good friends would come with some support to back up all the "rah rah" Regent stuff. Are you not the slightest bit disappointed? I actually feel badly for you. I hope you will be able to enjoy your cruise like any regular passenger and let Regent sort this out because they have done you no favors.

Maybe rah rah cheerleaders get rewarded in the future with upgrades, etc.

Don't know where any of this is coming from. People that know me understand that this type of bashing is something that has been going on for years. It would be laughable if the topic were not so serious (usually it is quite funny). Disappointed? Do not understand that kind of thinking. I look forward to seeing friends that we have sailed with before on our upcoming cruise. Really don't feel stomped on but feel sorry in a way for the people that have grown this issue into the debacle that is -- probably out of fear.

Mark, let me try to explain. Again, I did not say that Regent should not contact passengers.... I said they probably will not. I feel this way based on the previous actions that Regent has taken with similar but not the same situations. In many ways it would be easier if Regent contacted everyone - even if they only repeated what they have said already. Do you truly think that any correspondence would change the feelings of the passengers that are terrified of going to Dakar? They seem to want one answer...... Regent is cancelling the cruise. Really appreciate your reading my posts and trying to understand where I am coming from -- just as I am doing with yours.

P.S. Just reread your last post and I did not answer a question. No, I do now see any downside if Regent were to communicate with the passengers on this cruise. If I were in Regent's shoes, I would have communicated better over the years. I have taken them to task on this issue before. I do not speak for Regent - I am a cheerleader as well as a Regent critic. Do I wish things were different with this situation? Definitely. But do I think they deserve the type of bashing they have received on this thread..... no, I do not.

Edited by Travelcat2

I am no big-league businessman. I am probably not as bright as anyone on Regent's management team, but I saw this one coming weeks ago, and I wish Regent management would have handled this as gracefully as their crew handle the on board experience.

Mark

You sell yourself short on this one!

You are obviously skilled and thoughtful. You have the benefit of knowing your business is not running on corporate arrogance, corporate incompetence, or corporate narcissism. These terms pop-up regularly as reasons for corporate leadership failures.

When you have a situation that could be contained or reversed by simply communicating openly with customers, all one can do is speculate why the obvious has not occurred.

I have no idea what is actually going on with Regent's leadership and what the real traits of the leaders are, but something is so far off the norm for a corporation's response to a customer crisis that the situation is bizarre.

1. The Mariner's losing a pod (or most of the pod's function) in the ocean off of Alaska (believe that "Freddie" was on that cruise). They/he knows how Regent handled the situation and what they did for their guests. The Mariner ended up limping (for lack of a better word) at slower speeds than normal for over a year before the new pod was built. Itineraries were changed, etc.

2. When the Voyager's pod was entangled in a fishing net. The Captain and another officer went down to see what the issue was. They brought people in -- it was determined that the cruise had to end. This was suppose to be a world cruise. Again, they took care of their passengers.

3. Another time, several CC members were on the Voyager -- embarked -- went through muster and were called into the theater. The cruise had to be cancelled. As I recall, passengers were allowed to stay onboard a night or two -- some were put into hotels -- flights were arranged to get them home or to other destinations.

A lot of my knowledge of Regent comes from our experiences on the ship but quite a bit comes from reports from passengers posting from thend.

TC, I was on #1 and #3 of the three cruises you mentioned above, and had dear friends on #2 as well. We all ended up very satisfied for all three. As I remeber, these were all when Mark Conroy was in charge. Doesn't matter, we are now in the present. And ownership has changed again. I have faith in Frank DelRio as well as you. He still runs the line.

But I do remeber the 3rd one, in Athens. I was onboard, and posting, but at the time, because Regent wasn't announcing to the world what was going on, you were so critical of Regent, despite some of us posting we onboard were doing just fine! I've never been so well taken care of during and after the non-cruise. At the time, I told you to QUIT IT on this board.

However, and a big one, all those problems were SHIP problems, related to the pod, fishing nets or whatever.

BUT, this one has to do with ITINERARY, nothing to do with the ship. After 30 + cruises on Regent, I have not doubt Regent will do the right thing. But really, this cruise has some passengers who disagree. I think maybe best to give them their voice without regard to their reasoning for wanting the change, as you are not on this cruise

s.

There are many people reading this thread (and not posting -- can't say that I blame them) that remember the following very well:

1. The Mariner's losing a pod (or most of the pod's function) in the ocean off of Alaska (believe that "Freddie" was on that cruise). They/he knows how Regent handled the situation and what they did for their guests. The Mariner ended up limping (for lack of a better word) at slower speeds than normal for over a year before the new pod was built. Itineraries were changed, etc.

2. When the Voyager's pod was entangled in a fishing net. The Captain and another officer went down to see what the issue was. They brought people in -- it was determined that the cruise had to end. This was suppose to be a world cruise. Again, they took care of their passengers.

3. Another time, several CC members were on the Voyager -- embarked -- went through muster and were called into the theater. The cruise had to be cancelled. As I recall, passengers were allowed to stay onboard a night or two -- some were put into hotels -- flights were arranged to get them home or to other destinations.

When it is said that I am hurting Regent by defending them.......

Well for someone so intent on getting the facts straight you should now that the Alaska debacle was 9/6/2006 - before PCH bought Regent. It was about a year before the ship was repaired. Same with the Pod on the Voyager; Both ships ran at about half speed and many ports were missed. Again - same situation where there was a lack of communication.

Jackie - you are not only hurting your beloved Regent, you have lost all credibility here on Cruise Critic. Your messages are not only over kill, you have turned many away from the board as well as the cruise line.

Well for someone so intent on getting the facts straight you should now that the Alaska debacle was 9/6/2006 - before PCH bought Regent. It was about a year before the ship was repaired. Same with the Pod on the Voyager; Both ships ran at about half speed and many ports were missed. Again - same situation where there was a lack of communication.

Jackie - you are not only hurting your beloved Regent, you have lost all credibility here on Cruise Critic. Your messages are not only over kill, you have turned many away from the board as well as the cruise line.

That is your opinion. I strongly disagree. In terms of Alaska, etc. I did not specify when these events occurred. Most of these events occurred under the leadership of Mark Conroy. The information on CC from the passengers indicated that they were treated well. The Voyager did not run at half speed as the Mariner did for approximately 18 months.

I will continue posting on CC, answering questions to the best of my ability, posting reviews for as long as my information is current and relevant and as long as CC will have me. Most importantly I will do so without attempting to belittle anyone. It is far better to post opposing views as HanaleiSailor has done than to attack a poster.

Perhaps we can continue posting relevant information, posting and opinions without bashing Regent or anyone else.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC, I was on #1 and #3 of the three cruises you mentioned above, and had dear friends on #2 as well. We all ended up very satisfied for all three. As I remeber, these were all when Mark Conroy was in charge. Doesn't matter, we are now in the present. And ownership has changed again. I have faith in Frank DelRio as well as you. He still runs the line.

But I do remeber the 3rd one, in Athens. I was onboard, and posting, but at the time, because Regent wasn't announcing to the world what was going on, you were so critical of Regent, despite some of us posting we onboard were doing just fine! I've never been so well taken care of during and after the non-cruise. At the time, I told you to QUIT IT on this board.

However, and a big one, all those problems were SHIP problems, related to the pod, fishing nets or whatever.

BUT, this one has to do with ITINERARY, nothing to do with the ship. After 30 + cruises on Regent, I have not doubt Regent will do the right thing. But really, this cruise has some passengers who disagree. I think maybe best to give them their voice without regard to their reasoning for wanting the change, as you are not on this cruise

I agree with you. I was and have been very critical of Regent over the years (as well as supportive). This thread was up for a while before it became a Regent bashing thread. I actually want to say "QUIT IT" to posters that sound like they are threatening and bullying Regent. There are other ways of expressing dissatisfaction other than the way it has been done on this thread. It is easy to fall into the "bashing" mode -- I did it for long enough. I will continue to back off of this thread as I prepare for our next cruise. There was actually little new to post today until I read the rather unkind post above. I do believe that Regent will do the right thing. I have no doubt about it. In a funny way I'm glad that you brought up my Regent bashing -- this new reputation I have as Regent's biggest cheerleader just shows how little people on this thread know me.

Edited by Travelcat2

I am currently aboard the Mariner (joined in Venice on Tuesday) and will remain aboard through to Miami.

I have asked 2 crew members (one who checked us in and is aboard...and the Cruise Consultant) about Dakar and each have told me the same thing: "There has not been a decision made yet."

As each answer was the same...I believe them.

Enough already! Whether or not you agree with a poster, there is no reason to bash them ; repectfully disagree. Hopefully, we're all mature adults! Further, I'll assume that Regent is waiting until he last minute to make a decision, as most cruise lines would do (barring a military conflict).

Edited by dabear

Just heard from my TA. Senegal is cancelled. We will overnight in the Canary Islands. YAHOOOOO !! :D

Now with a little luck, we can put this thread to rest.

There isn't really anymore to discuss. They did the right thing and in the process made a bunch of paying passengers on this sailing very happy.

Just heard from my TA. Senegal is cancelled. We will overnight in the Canary Islands. YAHOOOOO !! :D

Very pleased for those of you who are on this cruise.

Now you can all get on with looking forward to it with pleasure rather than anxiety.

Awful PR exercise for Regent though, IMO.