Ebola Threat

Responder

We are on the Oct 13 Lisbon-Miami on the Mariner and have some concerns regarding the Ebola outbreak in the West Africa areas.

To date, Regent has no updates or info on this.

Does anyone on this itinerary have any concerns?

Although they require the Yellow Fever vaccine, it would seem to have no relation to Ebola.

We are on the Oct 13 Lisbon-Miami on the Mariner and have some concerns regarding the Ebola outbreak in the West Africa areas.

To date, Regent has no updates or info on this.

Does anyone on this itinerary have any concerns?

Although they require the Yellow Fever vaccine, it would seem to have no relation to Ebola.

In addition to the Ebola problem, now look at this....for the port of Dakar

http://news.yahoo.com/senegal-police-fire-teargas-supporters-ex-presidents-son-142942960.html

Are you concerned about contacting AIDS in Dakar? Both Aids and Ebola can only be transmitted through contact with vomit, feces, urine, blood, saliva or semen. It isn't something you're liable to catch while on a Regent tour.

Are you concerned about contacting AIDS in Dakar? Both Aids and Ebola can only be transmitted through contact with vomit, feces, urine, blood, saliva or semen. It isn't something you're liable to catch while on a Regent tour.

Yes, but you can't "catch" HIV by shaking someone's hand, or touching something contaminated. I'd imagine they will be very careful in assessing risks to passengers, and unless the situation escalates further, it should be okay.

While Senegal shares a border with Guinea, where ebola has been reported, there are no reports of ebola in Senegal. I am sure that if there were to be an ebola outbreak in Senegal, Regent would evaluate the situation and decide whether to cancel the stop in Dakar. I agree with Wendy that Regent will be very careful in assessing the risk to passengers (and crew.)

We are on the same cruise. I have some concern as well. One of the excursions we planned to take usually uses a ferry that is not limited to the cruise participants. I know it can only be transmitted by limited circumstances but still it is a little concerning.

It is OK to call me a "worry wart" or neurotic. I just tend to be cautious even though I like adventure .

We travel to East Africa all the time and we are in the bush. This is West Africa where the problem is. This reminds me of people with AIDS or HIV infected people. We have a few friends who are HIV positive and doing very well. I shake hands and give a big hug to them.

This is crazy......you are not involved with bodily fluid and you should be fine. This is on the verge of being paranoid. We will be back in East Africa in two months and just taking our Cipro and Malaria pills.

We travel to East Africa all the time and we are in the bush. This is West Africa where the problem is. This reminds me of people with AIDS or HIV infected people. We have a few friends who are HIV positive and doing very well. I shake hands and give a big hug to them.

This is crazy......you are not involved with bodily fluid and you should be fine. This is on the verge of being paranoid. We will be back in East Africa in two months and just taking our Cipro and Malaria pills.

You are quite often the voice of reason!

It is definitely a major problem in parts of Africa. However, just like the problems in Russia, Israel, Egypt, Thailand, South Africa (AIDS) and other parts of the world, Regent is on top of it and would quickly change ports if the World Health Organization felt that there was a threat.

This is the beginning of an epidemic... it will get far worse before it begins to get better.

West Africa is a poor choice for the next quarter or two, regardless of what any cruise line decides to do.

I certainly do agree with you as should have been evidenced by my original starting post.

I know there are many who want to continue to conquer new frontiers, but my wife and I are not among them at our stage in life.

Even though we would plan to remain on board, what about any contact with those passengers and crew who will get off and return to prepare food, etc.

Even some of the airlines are cancelling flights. Of course the tourist and travel oriented organizations will play it down.

I don't quite understand your reply..

Where does East Africa become relevant to my post?

Does the fact that you are going and have gone to East Africa often, mitigate the Ebola threat in West Africa?

I thought I simply asked if those who were on the Lisbon-Miami cruise had any concern.

Suite, the point is, East Africa is not relevant to this discussion, any more than Morocco or Egypt would be.

He only says what he want to say whether it relates or not...

Look at the latest that was just posted....After reading this, I think I would settle for lightning.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/cdc-raises-response-highest-alert-amid-ebola-outbreak-n174496

I hear crickets. I don't think too many on this cruise are worried. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning .

;) Well, there is one person!

Actually not trying to make light of this threat as it is extremely serious. I do feel that there is a difference between planes flying in and out of the area and port stops. I know that the Center for Disease Control (CDC) is monitoring the situation worldwide and Regent is paying attention to all reports. Your cruise is also going to the Caribbean -- exactly where there is the Chikungunya Mosquito problem. Either we pay attention to reports and sail/fly where we can or stop traveling. I truly do not see other options.

P.S. There is a thread on Oceania regarding the Chikungunya Mosquito issue. You may want to look into Picaridin based repellents (available on Amazon.com and other places) to protect yourselves.

Here is more information on this issue (non-life threatening but more of an immediate threat to visitors than Ebola and is now in Florida). http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/30/chikungunya-virus-united-states/13358377/

Edited by Travelcat2

• 3 weeks later...

Great article. It sounds like Senegal is taking extreme precautionary measures to insure that this horrible disease does not enter their country. Thankfully there are no reported cases there so everyone visiting Senegal on the Mariner should be fine. I would be surprised if Regent was not already aware of the conditions in Senegal.

Interestingly, we considered extending our early October cruise to the one you are on mainly because of Senegal. It has two amazing excursions offered. However, we have another cruise only four weeks after we get home so it wouldn't work. If things remain as they are today (hopefully), everyone should have an amazing time in Senegal!:)

Edited by Travelcat2

The UK Foreign Office Travel Advise for Senegal has this to say about the threat from Ebola: "An outbreak of Ebola virus disease has been confirmed in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia. [it is now also in Nigeria.] If you travel to this region you should follow the health advice issued by the National Travel Health Network and Centre. There have been no suspected cases of Ebola in Senegal. On 21 August the government of Senegal announced it was closing its land border with Guinea, and its air and sea borders to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone." For the full text click on: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/senegal

The US Department of State Country Information Sheet for Senegal does not mention Ebola, although it discusses the risks of contracting malaria and TB in Senegal. http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/senegal.html

From Dakar to the border of Guinea, the nearest country to report Ebola, is 488 km, or a little over 303 miles. While the possible spread of Ebola merits close attention from anyone traveling to West Africa, I agree with Wendy that if Senegal does not have any cases, what is the problem about sailing to Dakar?

Boreus, if you would just rather stay home, do what you want. I for one will never be afraid anywhere Regent will take me. I keep up with news every day, listen to the state department warnings. If I worried about everything, I would never leave the country, god forbid. And get hit by a car the next day crossing a street. Or catch some common virus and have it turn into pneumonia, and be gone. I just don't live with these fears, but that's me. And I am not even that fit.

I never did understand my stops in Dakar (3 times) on the way to africa. Other than these big guys got on the plane and pulled up some seats, maybe for security? Or just because they were paid to do this. I just complied, and let them do their thing. More of a nuisance than anything, I felt at the time.

Edited by jhp