San Diego on Golden

parisbully

Wow - someone did some planning, and actually made a port that connects to something other than working docs??

I wonder why we are so far away from anything in some of the ports we go to - do they not realize if you put a cruise ship with 2 - 3000 people on it close to the main city - we may get off and spend some time and money!!!

Wow - someone did some planning, and actually made a port that connects to something other than working docs??

I wonder why we are so far away from anything in some of the ports we go to - do they not realize if you put a cruise ship with 2 - 3000 people on it close to the main city - we may get off and spend some time and money!!!

Because perhaps the town wasn't built with a cruise port in mind? Or because the port wasn't built/designed with cruise ships in the plan? Lots of very logical and reasonable reasons.

You should, there is a hop on and off bus right outside the cruise terminal that takes you to all the great spots in SD, really worth the price.

Edited by PathfinderEss

Many places do not have a deep water dock for the ships. Frankly places

become tourist/cruise stops well after the events which were the germ of the city

or town. Or you limit which ports you can call on.

M

Because perhaps the town wasn't built with a cruise port in mind? Or because the port wasn't built/designed with cruise ships in the plan? Lots of very logical and reasonable reasons.

San Diego has a nice deep water harbor because it's the home of the Pacific Fleet...

2173065293_00d297afef_z.jpgUSS Nimitz by RickEk, on Flickr

Here's a shot of the per from a local webcams...

2472178135_bbed47d4f0.jpgDawn Princess and Golden Princess in San Diego by RickEk, on Flickr

San Diego has a nice deep water harbor because it's the home of the Pacific Fleet...

Or it's the home of the Pacific Fleet because it has a nice deep water harbor.;):) :D Towns and their harbors were established long before there were numerous passenger cruise ships, nanwel.

Edited by shredie

Or it's the home of the Pacific Fleet because it has a nice deep water harbor.;):) :D Towns and their harbors were established long before there were numerous passenger cruise ships, nanwel.

Maybe so, but I'd wager that a dredge or two were involved...;)

Far more likely is that if the town does have a port, it's a fishing or commercial port. It costs millions to build a separate cruise port, not something towns or cities have in their budget for something that will be used only a few months a year and often, not daily.

2173065293_00d297afef_z.jpgUSS Nimitz by RickEk, on Flickr

Here's a shot of the per from a local webcams...

2472178135_bbed47d4f0.jpgDawn Princess and Golden Princess in San Diego by RickEk, on Flickr

I am very aware that San Diego has a deep water port. Have been there many times. But the poster I was replying to was implying that it was about time a city had their cruise port in the middle of town, as if that is always possible in every case. When the fact is not all cities were built on the water, or had a port, or a cruise port as their reason for existence.

Rome for example, had a historic port closer to town. But it was a shallow water port, and it is far from reasonable for the Rome port to be in the middle of town. Same for Athens.

Not "Shoreline Village". It is called Seaport Village. It is walkable, not that far. Shuttle is also available but not necessary. Gorgeous walk . Make sure to see the huge statue of (don't remember the name), sailor kissing the nurse when World War2 was over (Times Square area of NY). It was a very famous photo.

Not "Shoreline Village". It is called Seaport Village. It is walkable, not that far. Shuttle is also available but not necessary. Gorgeous walk . Make sure to see the huge statue of (don't remember the name), sailor kissing the nurse when World War2 was over (Times Square area of NY). It was a very famous photo.

Also, walk just a little past the statue towards the Fish Market restaurant and see the sculpture tribute to Bob Hope's WW2 USO tours. There's a bronze (I think) Bob, plus a band, and piped music. The really nice part is that you can do the Midway and see the scultures all within easy walking distance from the ship.

RickEk...where's a photo of my first "cruise" ship...USS Midway. :p

LOL! I just took the first cruise with my Navy vet son-in-law who did most of his "cruising" on an aircraft carrier. He said for the first couple of days on board, he kept expecting someone to tell him to go paint a deck or something! (He loved the Princess cruise, BTW!)

Here ya go...

Thanks.

LOL! I just took the first cruise with my Navy vet son-in-law who did most of his "cruising" on an aircraft carrier. He said for the first couple of days on board, he kept expecting someone to tell him to go paint a deck or something! (He loved the Princess cruise, BTW!)

Being enlisted in the Navy on my 1st cruise I got to know how the officers were treated on the Midway. ;)

Really lovely dock. The parking for cruisers is right across the street from the dock. It makes for such easy access to drive and cruise. There's also a nice hotel [Holiday Inn] directly across the street.

Holland America has the wraps on this port. Carnival does have some ships coming and going but I haven't seen any Princess.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Really lovely dock. The parking for cruisers is right across the street from the dock. It makes for such easy access to drive and cruise. There's also a nice hotel [Holiday Inn] directly across the street.

Holland America has the wraps on this port. Carnival does have some ships coming and going but I haven't seen any Princess.

Princess does a few coastals each year that include San Diego as a stop, but none originate or terminate there that I know of.