US Customs and Immigration

Host Dan

I am booked on the Quest Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone know if we will go through customs at our first US port, or not until Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks! :)

I am booked on the Quest Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone know if we will go through customs at our first US port, or not until Ft. Lauderdale.

In May, in Canada, we "entered" the US via our Customs people before we left Canada. Actually made it very convenient when we arrived in PHX. They also had the new Passport scanner kiosks. Piece-O-Cake.:eek::D As they say: "your mileage may vary".:D Hope you have it that easy as well.

we plan to do this in 2015 so will be interested in your trip and experiences. I do hope you have Global entry....it makes customs and security really a piece of cake!

We did Montreal to Gloucester Mass a couple of years ago.

US officials came on board for passport and face to face inspection at our first US port - in our case Portland Maine.

Can one assume that upon arrival in FLL you may just leave the ship without having to clear customs again? This would be great for early departures.

I just heard from a friend who did a similar cruise last year. They went through customs at the disembarkation port, not the first US port of call. Hmmm.....

Host Dan, my experience having taken similar cruises as this one (different line) is that the rules can change. Sometimes the immigration and the customs are both done together and sometimes separately and sometimes it is front ended and other times it is not. It's sort of similar to cruises that arrive back to USA ports and even if you arrive to the same port multiple times on the same ship it is not uncommon for the procedures to change from time to time.

Keith

On a Silversea cruise we went RT San Francisco to Alaska. The cruise included an overnight in San Francisco before disembarkation the following day. The day we returned there was no sign of ICE. Disembarkation day however breakfast was near cancelled by the Coast Guard and then everyone rushed to get through ICE only to find the port had sent all the cabs/private cars away.

I would have thought it easier to get the ICE stuff out of the way the first day we docked.