Purchase an upgraded cabin at Sea?

mayfieldlodge

Is it possible to purchase an upgrade cabin once you have boarded the ship? Has anyone had experience of this. I am wondering if the price would be more competitive than purchasing before the cruise has started.

I have a guaranteed interior booked and the price to upgrade to outside cabin is an extra 1000 euros (for 2 people), I feel this is excessive and wondered if a better deal could be had on arrival to the ship.

We once saw someone that was able to upgrade to a suite for what they called a song. This was 15 years ago, though. Every time we've boarded since then, there is a sign at the purser's desk stating they are sailing full or inform you when you inquire. I think they fill those cabins before they sail. While I guess it is still possible, it is not very probable.

Is it possible to purchase an upgrade cabin once you have boarded the ship? Has anyone had experience of this. I am wondering if the price would be more competitive than purchasing before the cruise has started.

I have a guaranteed interior booked and the price to upgrade to outside cabin is an extra 1000 euros (for 2 people), I feel this is excessive and wondered if a better deal could be had on arrival to the ship.

Per other posts, the ships sail full. If somebody does cancel at the last minute, you will be charged "rack rate". If you really want an upgrade, typically about 30 days before the cruise you might be able to get a reduced rate if all of the cabins/suites aren't full. Typically a guarantee might prove to be a great deal- You also have to be flexible regarding the location and type of cabin.

Enjoy your cruise!

Enjoy your cruise.

If you have ANY hope of doing it do your research, and arrive at the pier with a list of available cabins from the X website 4 days out, or some of the other online websites that let you see this detail even up to sailing time.

Everything I've read says pier side staff can't do anything only ship-side staff can after boarding.

Then you can pointedly ask if cabin number XXX is available and what the cost to upgrade is.

I've read 1 or 2 prior reviews on these forums of cruisers arriving to the purser's desk sign saying sold out but when they prodded saying can you check cabin XXX it was then they determined there was in fact an opening....

Best bet, is watch prior to sailing and upgrade in advance if anything comes open.

A number of posters have stated that ships sail full. Well, yes and no. While ships may generally be sold out, there are no-shows resulting in empty cabins. Probably not very many, but we benefitted from one last year. Someone had even sent flowers and a bottle of bubbly to the intended occupants, which guest services told us to enjoy. :) We never did hear what happened to the other passengers, but hazarded a guess that they missed a connection or got snowed in somewhere along the line.

Ships can also "sail full" by reaching maximum passenger occupancy, and still have available unoccupied cabins, especially in family and holiday season when more people will do triples and quad occupancy.

Not often, but it does occur.

Good point - how many cabins are available, if any, will vary depending on how many no-shows there are. I know they generally keep a certain amount of cabins open in case they encounter an issue with a cabin that cannot be fixed where the guest must be moved. How many and what type I don't know, but there are some. When and if they are willing to give them up would also likely depend on the no-shows. I seriously doubt you would get a better deal trying to upgrade on the ship, but it never hurts to ask. Do your homework ahead of time and it does no harm to try for a deal.

They also seem to keep one of the big suites open, if not booked originally, as a prize for playing bingo.

We were standing in line last year on Equinox when a couple wanted to upgrade to a Royal Suite. No bargain as they wanted the full difference in price between the cabin they had and the Royal.

If you have ANY hope of doing it do your research, and arrive at the pier with a list of available cabins from the X website 4 days out, or some of the other online websites that let you see this detail even up to sailing time.

Everything I've read says pier side staff can't do anything only ship-side staff can after boarding.

Then you can pointedly ask if cabin number XXX is available and what the cost to upgrade is.

I've read 1 or 2 prior reviews on these forums of cruisers arriving to the purser's desk sign saying sold out but when they prodded saying can you check cabin XXX it was then they determined there was in fact an opening....

Best bet, is watch prior to sailing and upgrade in advance if anything comes open.

I did exactly this on one cruise. It was actually more once I board to upgrade from the cabin we had, to the cabin we wanted. Had I done it two or three days out, it would have been less. Live and learn. Within 48 hours, especially on a weekend it may be impossible to upgrade, so don't wait too long. Base on my experience, do it in advance if you really want it, or be content where you are.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

My best advice... Once you book a cruise never stop watching prices as things fluctuate / change / go on sale (I typically check on my booked cruise 2x a week... Midweek and Weekends as this is most often when deals are offered)

Prices can and do change often after final payment deadline as the ship tries to sell off any remaining cabins. If you've kept notes you'll be able to know a good deal when it comes up...

Not uncommon to see crazy price restructuring as they attempt to fill empty cabins...

Such as Consierge costing more than Aqua, or deep discounts on a particular level of Suites... It is all about the cruise line jostling to sail as close to capacity as possible. Same reason they offer Guaranteed Category Bookings, or occasionally the Upgrade Fairy comes to call.

We have also in the past inquired about upgrade availability when arriving at the port... And the prices quoted to us were rack rate... Same as advertised on the website a few days prior. No bargains to be had.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thanks for all your comments. We have our inside stateroom allocated now 1092 on the Silhouette. As far as inside staterooms go I think this is in a good location and only 2 floors to get outside!. I am watching the prices every day and as yet the price hasn't dropped below what I have paid even though there has been fluctuation in all the stateroom prices.

I will continue to check and live in hope of getting my balcony prior to embarking!.:)