Drinking Bottle Water While Checking In

FireEater

I forget, so maybe someone here can answer....

Leaving out of Port Canaveral Saturday.

Can one bring a bottle of water thru security and up to the check in counter?

It is hot here in Florida and I need my water to drink from the parking lot up to and including getting on the ship if at all possible. It WILL prevent me from looking like I just stepped out of a pool.

Is security in the port terminal as bad as air port security when it comes to drinking water and sizes of bottles in ones hands?

Using just the fountains in the terminal will not be enough to keep me somewhat cool....:o

I don't know about Port Canaveral, but I have seen opened beverage containers taken from people at security check-in and I have seen others pass through with open containers. So it seems hit or miss.

My advice would be to be prepared to throw away the open bottle as you pass through security and bring with you another sealed bottle or two to open after passing through security. There are also vending machines in some (possibly all?) terminals.

ETA: In case you aren't aware: you are allowed to carry on sealed water and soft drinks in addition to your one bottle of wine per adult passenger.

Edited by ShakyBeef

I assumed that they handle security the same manner as at the airports, so I finish my drink before entering the terminal. If I arrive early, and need another bottle of water, or something else to drink, I grab a soda or water from one of the vending machines in the waiting area.

You can drink in line. Just close and shove it into your carryon when going thru the scanners. They might shake it to see if it's water.

They did the "shake" test to us in San Diego. We asked what are you doing and they told us they were making sure it was not booze... guess water shakes differently, never noticed or tested it since.

I looked it up because I didn't remember how much was allowed:o but here, for anyone who doesn't know (or like me, can't remember) is the policy on carry-on beverages from Carnival's site:

"On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less."

Ok sounds like I will have to drink it before going thru the X-ray...

So be it...

We are still carrying on 2 12 packs of Pepsi....well wife is on her scooter....having her is like having a shopping cart....:p

My mom always carries a bottle of water she's drinking and an unopened one in her carry-on.

Security shakes both of them, determine they're not liquor, and let her board with them.

This is at the Port of Miami.

I forget, so maybe someone here can answer....

Leaving out of Port Canaveral Saturday.

Can one bring a bottle of water thru security and up to the check in counter?

It is hot here in Florida and I need my water to drink from the parking lot up to and including getting on the ship if at all possible. It WILL prevent me from looking like I just stepped out of a pool.

Is security in the port terminal as bad as air port security when it comes to drinking water and sizes of bottles in ones hands?

Using just the fountains in the terminal will not be enough to keep me somewhat cool....:o

If its open they will take if from you but if its unopened they will allow it and you can drink once you clear security.

When you go through the part where they scan your carry on and u walk through the metal detector they make you throw it away.

Yelp!! Exactly what happened. I wanted the bottle to reuse and they told me to pour out the contents! Lesson learned!!

When you go through the part where they scan your carry on and u walk through the metal detector they make you throw it away.

I asked them if I could dump the water out and keep the empty container and they said yes. This was the first time they made me dump it out, just filled it at the hotel that morning. I always carry an empty bottle in my backpack thur plane security then fill it when I get to the gate so I have it on the plane.

If its open they will take if from you but if its unopened they will allow it and you can drink once you clear security.

Obviously it depends on the port, date and security personal.

Yes...they may ask you to dump any unfinished water....but that's ok...you will NOT dehydrate in 15 mins!

As I sit in front of my desk fan while the fan overhead is also going, in an ac room of approx 78 degrees, sipping on a glass of ice cold water, I must say, you never know....:p

Edited by FireEater

Last oct. we sailed out of port Canaveral. What a great port. When our van dropped us off where the luggage gets picke up. My daughter went inside and had some one come out with a wheelchair to wheel me in. They came right out and pushed me thru to security. they wheeled me around the x-ray and the man wanted to throw my open water away. The man pushing me ask did I need the water for medical reasons. I told him yes that I needed to stay hydrated. He told them do not throw it away and to give it back to me. They pushed me over to the side and he checked me out by hand. Then when it was time to board the dream they pushed me all the way up into the ship and to my stateroom on deck six. I gave the man a $20.00 tip. Well worth it.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Plastics... or maybe Nalgene, or Hydroflask, or Camelbak, or... yeah... Another vote for the refillable container of your preference.

Larger volume, larger opening for ice if desired, better for the planet, and no hassle during the security theater/revenue enforcement phase of the trip. Everyone wins.