What's The Best Meal in Canaletto?

curtdesilets

Just curious what the best meal is in Canaletto?

The last time we were on a HAL ship, this venue did not exist.

Also, what should we avoid?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last question: What does Canaletto mean? Bet it has something to do with the Canals of Venice :confused:

Just curious what the best meal is in Canaletto?

The last time we were on a HAL ship, this venue did not exist.

Also, what should we avoid?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last question: What does Canaletto mean? Bet it has something to do with the Canals of Venice :confused:

I enjoy the sea bass. Since I have not eaten everything on the menu, I cannot say what to avoid.

Here is the menu: http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Canalleto-2014.pdf

Edited by Crew News

The lasagna was the same as what was served in the MDR (not surprising I guess) and it was barely fair. DH gave it a try in both venues, disappointed both time so I would avoid that. I believe I had a decent veal dish, but again it was the same as in the MDR. And the 'gelato' was not gelato, it was ice cream from the ice cream bar, nice but I'd go for the limoncello cream. We were there a few years ago when it was complimentary. Maybe it's changed and improved now that they charge for it.

In fact we avoid Caneletto altogether now. We had tried it with new, onboard friends on a long cruise just for something different and to eat together, so it served that purpose... well sort of even though they couldn't seat us together because we were 10. There was nothing impressive about the experience but JMO and your mileage may vary. m--

On longer cruises the Canelletto is a nice venue change. Every ship may be different but in our experience enjoyable.

Veal dish was memorable and have been satisfied with most menu selections.

Edited by aliaschief

Just about the best lasagna I ever ate was on Eurodam probably 3 1/2 years ago. DH and I were b-to-b and week one, we walked by the pasta station at lunch and saw lasagna that looked so delicious but we resisted. We went by the next day and there is was again. Resisted. Day three I couldn't stand it and gave in. We thought it soooo good. We enjoyed it way more times than we should have.

We returned to that ship and couldn't wait to hit the pasta station. The lasagna was awful. :D Different chef I'm sure and we tried it again and again on different ships and never had it so delicious again. :)

Given my choice, I would have course 1 & 2 and then repeat 2. We have ordered each of the main entrees and have not been impressed by any of them. The Canaletto is a nice diversion from other dining options, unfortunately HAL needs to listen to it's guests' reviews in order to create an upscale restaurant worthy of an upsell. (Tamarind is a top 10 choice and I wish it was available on ALL ships!)

At one time you couldn't pay me to go to the Canaletto, but on the Amsterdam on the World Cruise 2014 it was our favorite. On a couple of nights we had reserved the whole place. I usually sat with a group of 6, and we would order for the whole table with each of us ordering our own main course. The sea bass was incredible, but we would order a small portion.

I believe the pate is some of the best I have ever had. The best way is to order different items and share them.

I really think it is what ship, and the chef and staff. In this area on the Amsterdam everything was perfect. We stopped eatting at the Pinacle, because of the new management half way through the cruise. The manager acted very snotty. Well so much said.

I hope your experience is good, on what ever ship you are on.