Travel irons on ship

lorri111

If a fire occurred whilst it was being used. Rest assured I will chuck her on it to put it out.

Silly me, thinking that odd design was just an unusual birthmark... :eek:

Edited by beg3yrs

I would like to see statistics on how many fires have started with travel irons (mine has an automatic cutoff after 5 minutes) vs. cigarettes. If the concern is with fire, it seems that cigarettes and cigars would be banned.

What difference does it make? They are the experts, not you or I.

Its their policy.

I would like to see statistics on how many fires have started with travel irons (mine has an automatic cutoff after 5 minutes) vs. cigarettes. If the concern is with fire, it seems that cigarettes and cigars would be banned.

Don't know the statistics but the smoking is tightly controlled lately to the point that accidents are less likely unless people still smoke in their rooms & take the chance of being caught.

Fire danger is one of the primary reasons most cruise lines ban smoking in rooms and balconies. Most cruises have a couple of specific locations where smoking is allowed, and no where else.

Interesting comments made following my original post. The socket my wife used was the one behind the bed, which is European and not many pax know it exists.

Having sailed on Princess a few times we are fully aware of the laundry room and I would always iron my shirts in one of them nearby. The wife however can't decide until the last minute what to wear hence the convenience of using a travel iron.

If a fire occurred whilst it was being used. Rest assured I will chuck her on it to put it out.

This cavalier attitude is not funny in the least. The rules are meant for YOU too.

This cavalier attitude is not funny in the least. The rules are meant for YOU too.

British humour just doesn't work over the pond.

Travel kettles are banned too but these are taken on board. If these and irons are so dangerous why are they not removed when the luggage is scanned. I also know for a fact all luggage is scanned before embarkation.

Travel kettles are banned too but these are taken on board. If these and irons are so dangerous why are they not removed when the luggage is scanned. I also know for a fact all luggage is scanned before embarkation.

Why should they have to be removed? Its the responsibility of the passenger to adhere to the rules right? Should not be brought on in the first place.

So if they don't catch me its OK.

Hi, wondering what the situation is with travel irons onboard. I know you are not supposed to use it in your cabin but are you allowed to bring one on board at all? I always travel with a small travel iron which I would be using in the various hotels off the cruise but I note in the article below that they are regarded as contraband. I don't want the bother of having it confiscated till end of cruise but I also don't want to leave it at home unless I need to. Ideas?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=84

They have irons in the laundry room,they are not the greatest but will do.

Because it's hit or miss with the people scanning the suitcases. Items like heating coils, liquor, irons and coffee pots without a auto shutoff occasionally make it through without being questioned. It's impossible to catch everything.

The x-ray scanning of all luggage is not done by Princess personnel, but by port/government personnel looking for dangerous items like at the airport. You can fly with kettles and irons in your luggage and so can also, as far as the real security folk are concerned, board the ship with them.

I am not sure of how Princess does its checks. Maybe they have someone watching the port security screens, maybe they also scan the luggage themselves (a great bit of work considering over 6000 pieces of luggage may be involved) or maybe they do not scan it at all in some cases.

• 1 month later...
An electrician will tell you that irons and steamers, as well as coffee pots and water heaters, have high amperage draws. The higher the amperage draw, the higher heat is generated. A ship's wiring is not designed to withstand the amperage draw and heat produced by these appliances. Hot wires can melt, cause short circuits, and start a fire.

Perhaps the cruise industry should build their ships' wiring to withstand such amperage pulls, but that would raise the cost to them, which would then result in higher fares. Maybe it will take a tragedy to get ship builders to design to American electrical code standards, but I would hope not.

Pax should just realize that the ships wiring is not designed to handle certain appliances and to leave those darn things home. It only takes one appliance to cause a fire that can endanger thousands of lives.[/quote

I hope the person who wrote an earlier post about bring a tea kettle onboard so that she could have hot tea water reads this post.

Fire at sea is so very dangerous.

So glad that Princess does not allow smoking in cabins or on balconies any longer.

Safe voyages to all!

Thank God you wrote that message, what are people thinking. All we need is a fire onboard because someone left the iron or tea kettle on. You can have room service bring you your tea if they are not able to go and get it. Also there is a laundry room with irons provided if you need this, or send it out to be ironed. That service is available. :)

Perhaps the cruise industry should build their ships' wiring to withstand such amperage pulls, but that would raise the cost to them, which would then result in higher fares. Maybe it will take a tragedy to get ship builders to design to American electrical code standards, but I would hope not.

Here's an idea....How about if Princess provides their passengers with a decent cup of coffee that isn't pipped in syrup concentrate or provide a coffee maker in the room like other lines. I really don't think that passengers want to shlep appliances on vacation. To tell you the truth if I was sailing on a long itinerary I would be packing my coffee maker as well. I would consider the coffee card for fresh brewed coffee if it was offered in the buffet. It's just inconvenient to have to go down to the international cafe' just to bring it up to the buffet for breakfast. I also understand why some want to bring a tea kettle. The hot water that is provided by room service is lukewarm at best.

To tell you the truth if I was sailing on a long itinerary I would be packing my coffee maker as well

The last safety drill announcement I listened to said:

No kettles; no coffee makers; non NON-THERMOSTATICALLY controlled

hot water makers.

To me, this said thermostatically controlled hot water makers were ok,

indicating that the wattage is not an issue, but the control.

hot water makers.

The idea that wattage was a concern only came from people on this board. Princess has never been concerned about the amount that the appliance draws, only the safety factor of leaving it unattended and with the auto shutoff it's minimal.

I doubt if it's any worse than a travel iron (if used properly) but seeing that irons may be left face down on some material they are more likely to cause fires.

In another thread somewhere I read that Princess was providing coffee makers in all the cabins (Asian cruise??) so we know the wattage is not the problem, even on the older ships.

hot water makers.

I'll support that if you know what I mean. ;);)

I remember the days when they sold travel irons in the gift shop on the ship!

Remember when your paint and petrol/gasoline came with lead? :D

Here's an idea....How about if Princess provides their passengers with a decent cup of coffee that isn't pipped in syrup concentrate or provide a coffee maker in the room like other lines.

After sailing with five cruise lines I have yet to come across a coffee maker in a cabin.

Edited by Boytjie