Flying Southwest

MEME&JOE92

Flying Southwest for the first time. Paid for Earlybird check-in. Do I still need to check-in 24 hours before flight? If not, what do I do when I get to the airport, just print my boarding pass? Can you tell I don't fly much!

Flying Southwest for the first time. Paid for Earlybird check-in. Do I still need to check-in 24 hours before flight? If not, what do I do when I get to the airport, just print my boarding pass? Can you tell I don't fly much!

No. They check in for you. All you need to do, is either print out your boarding pass from home anytime after the 24 hour mark has passed, or wait and print it out at at kiosk in the airport. I prefer to print from home, just in case. Have never had a problem though. :)

No. They check in for you. All you need to do, is either print out your boarding pass from home anytime after the 24 hour mark has passed, or wait and print it out at at kiosk in the airport. I prefer to print from home, just in case. Have never had a problem though. :)

Then how does it work from that point with Southwest..do you board by number or zone etc. and will I need to be checked in at their gate earlier than usual :confused:

In all my many many flights I have always booked on carrier's that I have pre-selected seats. I'm getting ready for my first flight with them and have also opted to purchase the earlybird. I should be able to print out my boarding pass at our hotel for our flight from FLL-SJU.

Your boarding pass will have your boarding number on it. When I just used early bird July, I got A34 which was good. Usually you will get an A or B number so you shouldn't have problems finding a good seat.

So, you won't have to do anything just either print your boarding pass at home or at the airport. Also, you can check up to two bags for free on Southwest.

Sent from my Samsung Victory using Forums mobile app

With your number - A34 to use the example cited above - you will line up in order (hint: you are ahead of A35 and behind A33 :p). You will board in number order (they save some early numbers for frequent flyers and high-dollar tickets, so expect a few empty spots) and then choose any empty seat you want on the plane. Easy! :cool:

Good luck! :)

Yes just print it out and it has a number and letter on it.

It is worth the extra dollars so you have it all set up and get a better boarding number.

Keith

As noted by previous posters, no need to check in online as SW does it for you, and usually you get a good boarding position, which allows you to get a good seat (no pre assigned seating), which allows allows early access to the overhead bins. I have always been in Group A, with a boarding position of under 29, when I select Early Bird Check-in, and have gotten seats in rows 1-7, with the most recent trip being in row 2 on the departing and returning flight. It is well worth the cost to me, and for our upcoming cruise we have 9 people flying on SW between two flights, one in the morning, and one mid-afternoon, and everyone has EB check-in.

So what this means is you pick whatever seat and row you want and those who get on earlier have the best choice. The only exceptions would be on flights that people are already on that are making a stop where people are already are on board the plane when you begin your boarding.

Keith

Sorry but one other question...If using earlybird how are the number's (rows) assigned... by computer randomly or based on when you have made your ticket purchase originally.

I agree with dreamer976. Makes no difference when you purchased tickets, your order is determined by when you purchase Early Bird. I've seen this myself when putting off Early Bird purchase compared to others in our party. The others got lower numbers than I did.

For clarification, there will be some tall "permanent" pillars lined up right near the boarding gate. Each pillar will have a sign on each side clearly showing a range of boarding numbers and which direction (before or after the pillar) to help you find the right "slot" for your boarding number.

I THINK it's boarding passes 1 through 40 on one side of the pillars and 39 through 80 on the other side of the pillar.

The gate attendant will call for all passengers with a "Group A" boarding pass to line up along the pillars. When the first group is boarded, he/she will call for the next "Group B" boarding passes. And so on until everyone's onboard. Usually somewhere between groups they board passengers needing special assistance or with small children.

It's really easy and way simpler than it sounds.

If you get confused, people are usually helpful if you ask.

For clarification, there will be some tall "permanent" pillars lined up right near the boarding gate. Each pillar will have a sign on each side clearly showing a range of boarding numbers and which direction (before or after the pillar) to help you find the right "slot" for your boarding number.

I THINK it's boarding passes 1 through 40 on one side of the pillars and 39 through 80 on the other side of the pillar.

The gate attendant will call for all passengers with a "Group A" boarding pass to line up along the pillars. When the first group is boarded, he/she will call for the next "Group B" boarding passes. And so on until everyone's onboard. Usually somewhere between groups they board passengers needing special assistance or with small children.

It's really easy and way simpler than it sounds.

If you get confused, people are usually helpful if you ask.

No big deal, but I've always seen 1 through 30 on one side and 31 through 60 on the other. :)

I have flown Southwest for years and I agree with clarea, the numbers

are 1-30...then 31-60.

There is group A, B, and C.....they do A first 1-30...then 31 to 60

B...and C.

I have never seen numbers from 60 to 80:eek:...maybe some airports

have them but none that I have been in........

My experience is that when I can check in exactly at the 24 mark, and I mean by being set up to just have to hit the enter key at that point, we have always had an A position, without purchasing early bird. Last year, traveling with friends we did purchase the early bird as I would not be able to check us in. I did purchase it at the last minute, after our friends and we boarded in the A position, before them. :)

I agree with dreamer976. Makes no difference when you purchased tickets, your order is determined by when you purchase Early Bird. I've seen this myself when putting off Early Bird purchase compared to others in our party. The others got lower numbers than I did.

Sorry I didn't make it clear I did purchase my earlybird at the same time of my ticket purchase. Several months ago for a mid-September flight from FLL-SJU....So does everyone line up in the "exact" number that's on their boarding pass...so you need to see exactly where you should be in line and step into place :confused:

Sorry I didn't make it clear I did purchase my earlybird at the same time of my ticket purchase. Several months ago for a mid-September flight from FLL-SJU....So does everyone line up in the "exact" number that's on their boarding pass...so you need to see exactly where you should be in line and step into place :confused:

Hi:) I would say in all my flights, 95% of the time everyone is where

there are supposed to be......you will be able to see the numbers as

they have them listed...there may be #16 standing in front of #15...

person 15 can nicely say, "excuse me" and go to the right spot;)

Or if they don't care? They can get behind the person....but yes, most

of the time everyone stands in the right place.

I am guessing you have never flown with SW? When you get to your gate,

you will see the numbers......not just on your boarding pass but the lines

are before you get onto the plane...they have polls where people stand and

it says...1-5, 6-12, 13-19.....etc.....you can look for your number and know where

to stand.

Edited by Lois R

We've flown Southwest for the past few years and choose to fly Southwest. We usually purchase the EarlyBird check-in. It's not as confusing as it sounds. Every time we've flown the passengers in line are courteous and I've not seen anybody "cut in" per se. Personally, I like their way of boarding. We had a group of 10 of us that flew last year and I did opt for early bird check-in for our group just to ensure that we could all sit together. There are plenty of seats to choose from when we boarded.

Yes, that's the way it works most of the time. However, every one in a while a group with scattered numbers will get together in line with the person with lowest number, and the check-in agent will have to stop the line and send them to their proper place.

I seem to remember reading its not when you purchase early bird so sooner you get it you get a better number but that they go by ticket price so who pays the most for a seat with early bird gets a better number. I could be wrong but I think that's how its done.

I seem to remember reading its not when you purchase early bird so sooner you get it you get a better number but that they go by ticket price so who pays the most for a seat with early bird gets a better number. I could be wrong but I think that's how its done.

I recall hearing that, as well as first come first serve. Not really sure how it's determined, but we've always received group "A". Even if you did end up with a "B", there are still plenty of seats to choose from if you're towards the front of that group. Just a little further back in the plane is all.

We've always chosen to get the Early Bird check in. One less thing for me to worry about, and for an extra $25 per flight, it's worth it to me.

I recall hearing that, as well as first come first serve. Not really sure how it's determined, but we've always received group "A". Even if you did end up with a "B", there are still plenty of seats to choose from if you're towards the front of that group. Just a little further back in the plane is all.

We've always chosen to get the Early Bird check in. One less thing for me to worry about, and for an extra $25 per flight, it's worth it to me.

No one seems to know. I've heard they use a formula that takes into consideration ticket cost, when early bird was purchased, etc.

Sent from my Samsung Victory using Forums mobile app

We've flown SW for both of our previous two trips to cruise ports and have purchased Early Bird both times. Not sure how they determine the number. What I can say is that I've always purchased Early Bird at the same time as my flight, and I have purchased my flights as soon as the times are open, which is usually 5 or 6 months out I think and we've been in the A boarding group each time, once we were in the low 20's and once we were right before the B group started. Early Bird is especially nice because while you have to check in for most other airlines, SW will check in for you as others have said, so not only will you not have to do so before your cruise, but you wont have to worry about checking in 24 hours before your flight home if you are still on the ship :D

When I was first checking out the Early Bird Option, I went on SW's website and there is a small cartoon like video that shows you how the boarding process works with the pillars, and boarding #'s ect. It was very helpful so I knew what we were doing when we got to the gate.

Good Luck!!

Edited by Nadersmom

It sounds like alot of you enjoy using the EB option to get prime seats on Southwest. I am just offering a different opinion for the lurkers who may want to save a few dollars.

If you do not want to use EB you can always try to check in as close to the 24 hour mark to get a good boarding spot that usually will result in good seats. If you are much later than 24 hours out though and are checking in the morning of your flight you will probably find yourself as on of those poor souls in the back of the lineup.

Although most of us do not want the back of the plane or the middle seats I have done extensive research on my own that shows that the back of the plane usually lands at the same approximate time as the front of the plane and will get you to your vacation destination just as effectively. Usually I am waiting for checked luggage anyways so getting off the plane 5 minutes after the people in the front of the plane do is no big deal.

I do usually like to sit next to my travel companions so I do try to check in on time but as I have found in life that I can go long periods of time without them I have found I can go long periods without them on a plane too. (note: I am not traveling with children or anyone who might need assistance.). So I just relax and stop stressing over the fact that I might have to endure the boredom of an airplane ride all by myself or make friends with a new seatmate.

I know this is off topic from the OP but as a usual lurker on boards sometimes it is nice to get a different opinion.

LOL. Very true on many points. Though I confess. ...if I am going to be sitting (or scrunched into. However you choose to look at it) in what could be considered a very narrow seat for more than an hour then my preference is to sit next to my DH than a stranger, even if I do already see him every day. [emoji4] I think the biggest reason I enjoy using EB is that you don't have to worry about remembering to check in 24 hours before you fly. If you are spending a day or two post cruise at your port thats one thing. But I don't want to have to do it from the computers on the ship. For me, those two things make it worth it

Enjoy !