Internet packages

clagkids

I usually don't buy the internet packages available, and just check email, etc while at ports. But thought maybe it would be nice to have it available 24/7. When is the best time to purchase an internet package? Any specials? What package do you recommend? Does internet work in rooms or do you need to go to certain areas? We haven't cruised with HA before. Thanks.

Probably best to buy a package first day, when deals may be offered. If you will be accessing when in ports you can figure the package based on number of sea days and the amount of time per day you want to spend - remembering that shipboard service is very slow. You also want to save a few minutes for printing boarding passes the last day if you will be flying home.

As others have stated, buy the first day; I've been on 5 HAL cruises and each one offered an internet special (either free minutes or a percentage discount) on the first day. On our last cruise in July, we received a coupon book that included a coupon for internet minutes.

As to reception, you can always gets reception in the library (obviously since that's where the public computers are), and most (if not all) public areas/lounges. Depending on your cabin, you may or may not have a good connection. There are "hot spots" throughout the ship, and it depends on how close your cabin is to one of them.

Be aware that because the internet connection is going through the ship's satellite communications, it's slow. My guess is at least 35% slower than what I have at home, often more. (I keep a travel blog while traveling, and what would normally take me 15 minutes at home usually ends up taking half an hour.) You're competing with necessary ship functions and others (including staff) checking in with loved ones at home. It's also not always available - some locations are just too remote - it's hard to get a signal in the middle of nowhere :)

Hope that helps.

As others have stated, buy the first day; I've been on 5 HAL cruises and each one offered an internet special (either free minutes or a percentage discount) on the first day.
On our last cruise (Prinsendam) there were no bonus minutes or discount given for the 100 minute block, only the 250 and higher.

On our last cruise in July, we received a coupon book that included a coupon for internet minutes.
On our next-to-last cruise I tried to use a coupon on the first day and was told I could either get the first-day bonus minutes or the coupon 15 minutes, but not both.

Have found that our computers work most everywhere on the Amsterdam and Prinsedam. Inside the cabin we did encounter a bit of a problem on 1 cruise and it was suggested we open the door - issue solved. Check the packages that are available for your cruise before you embark as sometimes you can get a decent bonus for early purchase.

We do not spend a lot of time on email (just stay in touch with friends and family) and definitely not any social media while cruising as we believe in 'vacationing' so we can do a long cruise on 100 minutes. For large or longer use, i.e. Skype, we wait and use the service on shore. The crew always knows where the best internet connects are both for price and speed so just ask your steward.

Edited by take us away

Just got off a 12-day on the Eurodam. I chose not to buy minutes after I found the speed so slow simply loading the New York Times in the Explorer's Lounge.

With so much personal technology these days (and even more coming), cruise lines are going to have to come up with something better. Guests are going to become even more demanding and really won't stand for the slow speeds much longer.

Internet connectivity will soon not be a luxury but an expectation.

Have found that early morning or late at night is best time to use computer - connections have seemed faster wherever we have sailed at these times. Also quick hint if you bring your own computer - write your email in a document on the desktop then copy and paste into your email to send. Much faster than typing in the email - saves lots of internet minutes!

Realize that the ship may not have internet connection all the time... there are dead spots around the globe and I found last year that HAL was worse with dead spots than Princess (used one line going westbound and other line going east bound across the Pacific). HAL's signal was out for at least 3 days of a 21 day cruise. Very frustrating.

The slowness means that you will not be able to do anything of high megabytes such as video, Skype and even uploading photos is very slow. We have found it much quicker while in port when others are off the ship trying to find free wifi somewhere... that's a good time to use your ship time where it's air conditioned, no sitting on the floor in the terminal or having to find local currency to pay an internet café, etc.

Wishing you the best even though ship internet isn't the best. m--

We just did a 19 day Baltic cruise on the Eurodam. No first day sign up bonus and we didn't receive any special offers--just the usual discount/min. when buying the larger plans.

We did find more free internet at various port terminals, but it was really poor--in some cases worse than the ship.....

It really is time for the cruise lines to realize that internet connectivity is more of a necessity than a luxury.

Have found that early morning or late at night is best time to use computer - connections have seemed faster wherever we have sailed at these times. Also quick hint if you bring your own computer - write your email in a document on the desktop then copy and paste into your email to send. Much faster than typing in the email - saves lots of internet minutes!

I do this as well. I type my email and save it as a document. Then when in the ship's internet I just copy and paste into the email to send. It does save a lot of time and this way you can take your time writing and composing.

Also, the later into the cruise it gets, there is a good chance that there will be a sale on internet minutes.

Another tip, make sure you turn your cell phone to Airplane Mode, if you have a smart phone. You can still get hit with charges or roaming fees even though you don't use it. A bit frightening. I am always paranoid about my phone when out of the country. Although I do usually buy an out of country package for texting and emailing.

Can someone clarify this for me as I will be on the Eurodam in a few weeks. If I buy one of their packages (say 100 minutes) can I use that between my ipad and iphone or does each device need a package? Thanks in advance for your help. Maryjo

Can someone clarify this for me as I will be on the Eurodam in a few weeks. If I buy one of their packages (say 100 minutes) can I use that between my ipad and iphone or does each device need a package? Thanks in advance for your help. Maryjo

As long as you log off one device, you should be able to log on with another and split the plan. We do it with our two computers pretty often. Unless they have changed things - and they may well have done so - you couldn't do simultaneous logins from more than one machine and a time.

...If I buy one of their packages (say 100 minutes) can I use that between my ipad and iphone or does each device need a package?...

Hi Maryjo,

Yes you can. You will have a screen name and a password. You, or anyone else for that matter, can sign on from any device as long as the screen name and password are available.

Scott & Karen

I don't understand why the cruise lines can not establish a fast connection service while docked and allow guests to use the service. Can anyone comment?
Because then hardly anyone would pay the price to use internet at sea.

I don't mean free, just better and faster service to allow guests to send photos, print boarding passes, etc.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Once you're in port, there are usually plenty of options to choose from. We use international data on our phones and use our cell phones as hotspots. That costs money. If you want a less expensive option, there is the Boingo service or other local options. If you want a full service business center set up with printers and whatnot, you can usually find one near the port.

I don't expect other passengers to subsidize my Internet use when I travel, so I am fine with paying for my own.

On a slightly different, but related matter, has anyone had experience with the internet on Royal Caribbean? In an article in Ft. lauderdale's paper last week, they said RCCL was upgrading their service. The first sentence in the article stated: "More cruise ship passengers can expect Internet service like they're used to at home."