Taking a DJI Phantom 2 vision drone

sben1971

Hi All,

We are about to go on a cruise around the South Pacific Islands leaving from Sydney (Australia) and want to bring with us our DJI Phantom 2 vision drone to use when we go shore, NEVER on the vessel (in port or in transit).

However have been informed, that we cannot take this with us as security would not allow it on board. There is nothing on the cruise company web site that state these are restricted items.

Why would we be not allowed to take this with us, and has anyone successfully taken one away with them, and if so how did they get permission.

From what I also discovered, there is a cruise official photographer that used one a few weeks ago, so it makes no scence why we could not take one away with us but a member of staff has one on board and uses it.

You really would be mad trying to take it

It is more a customs and immigration issue with safety and terrorism issue

Major can of worms your opening even for future travel if you try or even worse get in on board and get found out

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, & welcome to Cruise Critic.

There's currently another thread on the subject at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2075389

though you're presumably not going to be concerned about the bits about airport/airline restrictions.

I will say that ship's photographer taking & using a drone won't be relevant to whether you can do likewise.

One rule for them, another rule for us. :rolleyes:

On lots of matters it's not unusual to get two different answers from two different people. If you get an affirmative reply from any rep of the cruise line, get it in writing & take a copy with you.

JB :)

It´s possible to bring them onboard. I can´t find how to send you a P.M but send me a e-mail @: ec97beki [at] hotmail . com (without spaces and with an @ instead of [at] ) and I will tell you how to get the right paperwork for it.

Edited by Extra Kim

It´s possible to bring them onboard. I can´t find how to send you a P.M but send me a e-mail @: ec97beki [at] hotmail . com (without spaces and with an @ instead of [at] ) and I will tell you how to get the right paperwork for it.

The only thing sillier than taking a drone onboard a ship; is putting your email address out on a public forum.

These things do nothing but invade the privacy of others - I can't wait till they place very tight restrictions on them.

Agreed. There are enough irritations in life these days without some yahoo flying his noisy, intrusive toy around doing who knows what with it. We were spending time at a quiet beach resort earlier this summer when some idiot started flying his "look what I have" toy around, disturbing the peace and quiet with the shrill noise, and spoiling the view with it flying in the way.

Just because someone can afford one of these toys, doesn't mean buying one is the smart thing to do so. Leave the damn thing at home!

If the drone addicts think it's OK to fly these stupid things around disturbing everyone, then it should be OK for rest of us to use them as target practice. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

My neighbor accidentally over charged his batteries for his R.C. car and caught his kitchen on fire when they went pop .

I don't know how yours is powered BUT !!! :eek:

Ya got to think of the safety of others too.

Edited by biker@sea

The only thing sillier than taking a drone onboard a ship; is putting your email address out on a public forum.

Send me an e-mail and see what happens ;)

Since a lot of you get mad every time this topic comes up I´m wondering if you want a ban on 4x4 Jeeps, quadbikes, jetskis, parasailing, airplanes and maybe even the cruise ships too?

Since they sound more and destroy more then the quadcopters..

Is it the word "drone" that makes you think that´s it something similar to the predator drones that the U.S forces us? We are talking about a small helicopter made of plastic that can fly between 10-20min depending on what battery you use.

Hi All,

From what I also discovered, there is a cruise official photographer that used one a few weeks ago, so it makes no scence why we could not take one away with us but a member of staff has one on board and uses it.

Two likely answers:

A) The line may be willing to let a staff member whom they know is qualified to operate a drone, while being reluctant to let any (and every) amateur bring aboard a toy which, certainly in any numbers, would represent a serious annoyance to many passengers.

B) To the extent an official photographer was operating the drone - probably to take pictures to sell to passengers, why would they want to let passengers take their own pictures, costing the line sales.

Since a lot of you get mad every time this topic comes up I´m wondering if you want a ban on 4x4 Jeeps, quadbikes, jetskis, parasailing, airplanes and maybe even the cruise ships too?

Since they sound more and destroy more then the quadcopters..

So, the gist of your childish argument is that since we must put up with other sources of noise and destruction, that makes it perfectly acceptable to add to the already higher than desirable nuisance level by introducing your own playthings to the mix? That, in my opinion, it taking the low road in an effort to justify your own desires. :rolleyes:

Is it the word "drone" that makes you think that´s it something similar to the predator drones that the U.S forces us? We are talking about a small helicopter made of plastic that can fly between 10-20min depending on what battery you use.

We know perfectly well what type of toy you are talking about. They are noisy, intrusive, and in actuality, quite dangerous to unsuspecting people who may come into contact with a poorly handled device flown by a novice with little or no training or experience, or one that fails due to power loss or lack of adequate maintenance by the owner to keep it air worthy.

No, absolutely not. I do not want any of those irritating and dangerous toys anywhere near me or my family. I do not consider them safe, nor do I consider then necessary in any way, other than for some spoiled rich kid who MUST have the latest toy to impress his friends. :eek:

The sooner these are banned outright, the better for the public in general.

11802-MLB20050562237_022014-O.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

We are talking about a small helicopter made of plastic that can fly between 10-20min depending on what battery you use.

You mean one of those innocuous things that is causing havoc in one of the Yellowstone geysers right now?

You mean one of those innocuous things that is causing havoc in one of the Yellowstone geysers right now?

With a bit of luck, this incident will fast track making these things illegal for private use. That should stop the people who actually obey the law - unlike that imbecile who thought himself above the law and flew his toy anyway because he is so much more important than a 'stupid' ban to protect a natural resource from pollution. :rolleyes: :mad:

Edited by boogs

I'm not going to judge anybody, but just want to offer the OP some advice: call the cruise line and ask if it is permissible to bring it onboard, then check with the other countries you'll be travelling to as well, otherwise you could find yourself in a whole bunch of trouble. If you choose not to do either, then I would suggest you leave it at home, rather than risk having it confiscated.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I can almost guarantee that if you bring it in your carry-on, some TSA person, somewhere, is going to get very excited about it and not let you take it on board.

OTOH, if you put it in your checked bag, I'd suspect it would be a great target for thieves.

Two more reasons to leave it at home.

YOU might operate it in a non-annoying way but your other drone enthusiasts haven't been so nice.

You are a victim of how those preceding you have behaved. We could even say your being stereo- typed.

Almost sounds like many on this thread would like to bring back Skeet.

YOU might operate it in a non-annoying way but your other drone enthusiasts haven't been so nice.

You are a victim of how those preceding you have behaved. We could even say your being stereo- typed.

Or one of those pneumatic tee-shirt launchers they use at concerts .

Did you get airline/airport security clearance too?

YOU might operate it in a non-annoying way...

Or maybe he might not. When the majority of drone enthusiasts act a certain way, it's hard to believe that this is the one guy who acts better.

Might be a lot of fun! Mount a target on a drone, and let us fire away. If we're a better shot than he is a pilot, we win!

Quadrotor.jpgdnews-files-2013-07-colorado-town-proposes-drone-bounty-video-670-jpg.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan