Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

That's a shame you couldn't go in and take your wonderful pics of the inside of the cathedral especially the place where it is believed the remains of the three Wisemen were placed. There is also a carved cross thought to be 1000 years old. Our tour ended in front of the Cathedral. Our guide told us tours were not allowed inside which I agree except when we went inside there were a bunch of guided with tours. We were there on a Friday

That's a shame you couldn't go in and take your wonderful pics of the inside of the cathedral especially the place where it is believed the remains of the three Wisemen were placed. There is also a carved cross thought to be 1000 years old. Our tour ended in front of the Cathedral. Our guide told us tours were not allowed inside which I agree except when we went inside there were a bunch of guided with tours. We were there on a Friday

We did end up inside the Cathedral when we went back on our own that afternoon....and that was my point that Viking needs to rethink Sunday tours. More photos to come shortly.

DSC07730.jpg

There was lots of controversy around this confetti stained glass window...

DSC07732.jpg

As Got2Cruise mentioned, it is believed to the the resting spot of the remains of the three Wisemen. As our tour guide stated, the only issue is that there are numerous other churches who claim the same thing....

DSC07742.jpg

The 4711 Cologne store was across the square

DSC07775.jpg

As was another place I had wanted to visit as we were getting thirsty

DSC07776.jpg

Nothing like a cold Kolsch in Cologne!

DSC07783.jpg

Prost!!

DSC07784.jpg

Even my Mother-in-Law had one, and I had not seen her with a beer in 26 years of marriage (maybe some wine though....)

DSC07785.jpg

And the other reason we visited was for their homemade Strudel which we enjoyed!

DSC07786.jpg

Jerry ~ fabulous to see Cologne in the summer-time!!! When we were there, the CM stalls filled the square in front of the Cathedral and also there was a skating rink around the statue near where the ship docked!! Their CM was by far the most wonderful - at least to us!!!

Enjoyed your statement about it being difficult to get the whole Cathedral into a photo - just wait for Strasbourg!! But then I guess you've already been there!!!

Now I can't wait for Rudesheim and Marksburg and .......!!!!

Got2Cruise ~ we were in Cologne on a Thursday, I think, and our guide took us inside the Cathedral and all around it - no problem! He asked us to stay together inside even with the voxbox. He gave wonderful explanations of the windows, statues, etc. and also told the story of the Magi.

It is a shame that Viking doesn't make exceptions for Sundays - they should really think about adjusting the schedule a little - even if they offered it for one or more tours for those who really want to go inside! Maybe they'll consider it in the future!!

Jerry ~ fabulous to see Cologne in the summer-time!!! When we were there, the CM stalls filled the square in front of the Cathedral and also there was a skating rink around the statue near where the ship docked!! Their CM was by far the most wonderful - at least to us!!!

Enjoyed your statement about it being difficult to get the whole Cathedral into a photo - just wait for Strasbourg!! But then I guess you've already been there!!!

Now I can't wait for Rudesheim and Marksburg and .......!!!!

Peg, I am sure there would be something magical to seeing all of these cities done up for Christmas. Maybe we will get that opportunity sometime in the future....

Got2Cruise ~ we were in Cologne on a Thursday, I think, and our guide took us inside the Cathedral and all around it - no problem! He asked us to stay together inside even with the voxbox. He gave wonderful explanations of the windows, statues, etc. and also told the story of the Magi.

It is a shame that Viking doesn't make exceptions for Sundays - they should really think about adjusting the schedule a little - even if they offered it for one or more tours for those who really want to go inside! Maybe they'll consider it in the future!!

Agreed. Sounds like good, constructive feedback for Viking to consider some changes to their Sunday Cologne tours.

We were in Cologne on a Monday. Our guide knew that there was going to be a special service in the cathedral that would reduce our indoor time. So, he made the decision to give us the indoor tour first, then the outdoor tour. Worked out very well.

When we left Fruh, we made our way up onto the bridge. Similar to Paris and other mostly European cities, the bridge is full of "love locks".

DSC07797.jpg

DSC07805.jpg

There is a great view from the bridge (the Ingvi is docked just beyond the bridge in the distance)

DSC07798.jpg

Next we made our way to the Chocolate Museum, which is passed where the boat was docked in the direction away from the Cathedral. We didn't go into the museum, just went to the store which was not that different than a large Lindt chocolate store (we may be spoiled in that Lindt's Canadian headquarters is about a 10 minute drive from our house and they have a large warehouse store there).

DSC07815.jpg

DSC07820.jpg

DSC07822.jpg

DSC07823.jpg

DSC07824.jpg

DSC07825.jpg

With us being in Cologne on a Sunday, I do feel Viking can do a better job with their tours specific to Sunday's. After walking to the cathedral and hearing lots about it from outside from our knowledgeable tour guide, we were then given 15 minutes to go inside. However they were getting ready for a mass so you could really only stand in the back of the very crowded church as the rest of the church area was restricted unless you were there for mass, which is fine but needs to be considered in the tour planning. I feel Viking needs to either move the included walking tour to the afternoon when there are no masses, or come up with a different option for tours on Sunday mornings and then let you visit the Cathedral on your own later that day. We felt we had to return that afternoon in order to see it properly so while we learned lots about the Cathedral, the experience was not as good as it could have been, and we felt we duplicated time at the Cathedral which kept us from seeing more of Cologne. We recognize this would be totally different on other days of the week.

We had the same timing with AMA, but we were actually grateful because it enabled us to attend the Mass.

After relaxing for a little while, it was once again time for another meal :D With the 6 of us sitting together, we got in the habit of ordering a cheese plate for the table each night....but apparently I never took a photo

DSC07852.jpg

DSC07853.jpg

DSC07846.jpg

Pork Medallions

DSC07849.jpg

Black Forest Cake

DSC07851.jpg

Wonderful this entire thread even for those of us sailing on those other river cruise boats!

Thank you one more time for all the effort and thought put into your blog!

This entire thread should be "pinned" at the top the River Cruising Board as an example of a typical European River cruise - well at least when everything goes right!

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We then switched to the other side of the bridge for one final view of Cologne.

Dad and his 2 daughters

DSC07878.jpg

Next, we made our way to a local pub along the water. Haxenhaus is one of the oldest pubs in Germany and an easy 3-4 minute walk from the boat: http://www.haxenhaus.de/en/

DSC07883.jpg

DSC07887.jpg

DSC07888.jpg

DSC07884.jpg

Edited by cruisinskier

We had the same timing with AMA, but we were actually grateful because it enabled us to attend the Mass.

Host jazzbeau, attending mass is definitely a bonus of arriving on a Sunday. But even to attend the mass, you would have to not take the included shore excursion. My in-laws did go to mass and skipped the tour.

Wonderful this entire thread even for those of us sailing on those other river cruise boats!

Thank you one more time for all the effort and thought put into your blog!

This entire thread should be "pinned" at the top the River Cruising Board as an example of a typical European River cruise - well at least when everything goes right!

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks again for your kind words and glad we are able to assist others with their planning regardless of river cruise line.

As far as all going well, in the next day or two, as we are cruising along, we are about to learn about the very high water levels we did experience on this journey...I guess everyone will just have to wait and see how we made out ;):):(:D

After relaxing for a little while, it was once again time for another meal :D With the 6 of us sitting together, we got in the habit of ordering a cheese plate for the table each night....but apparently I never took a photo

DSC07852.jpg

DSC07853.jpg

DSC07846.jpg

Pork Medallions

DSC07849.jpg

Black Forest Cake

DSC07851.jpg

Sorry about the huge quote but am I correct - all the starters had mushrooms of some kind in them? What if you don't like mushrooms?

Sorry about the huge quote but am I correct - all the starters had mushrooms of some kind in them? What if you don't like mushrooms?

Strath, on certain nights they had theme nights. This night's theme was mushrooms with not only the starters but also the mains including mushrooms. My wife is not a mushroom fan so she ate off the "always available" menu. Over the week, members of our group had both the steak and the salmon, both of which received rave reviews.

Edited by cruisinskier

Strath, on certain nights they had theme nights. This night's theme was mushrooms with not only the starters but also the mains including mushrooms. My wife is not a mushroom fan so she ate off the "always available" menu. Over the week, members of our group had both the steak and the salmon, both of which received rave reviews.

Thank you for the explanation. I have heard of themed night eg. Dishes from certain regions but never all the food to include a certain ingredient. I suppose I noticed it because I am not a mushroom lover. I would have struggled to find much to eat that night. Certainly I would have gone without a starter.

It certainly wouldn't hurt my waistline to go without a starter anyway. :D