What to wear onboard ship

jsf

My girl friend is wondering what to wear during the day onboard the ship. We have done many warm weather cruises but this is our first Alaska cruise. I know inside the ship the temp is controled but is being out on deck cold and windy? She want's an idea of what to pack so she has the right stuff.

Thank's in advance,

J.

My girl friend is wondering what to wear during the day onboard the ship. We have done many warm weather cruises but this is our first Alaska cruise. I know inside the ship the temp is controled but is being out on deck cold and windy? She want's an idea of what to pack so she has the right stuff.
The standard advice on packing for Alaska is

Layers! Layers! Layers!

Out on deck it may be warm or cold or anything in between.

It is usually (but not always) cold at the glaciers.

Expect wind when the ship is moving, so it is a good idea to bring along some kind of head covering that won't blow away, and gloves.

In general just bring comfortable clothing with a loose fitting outer layer that lets you add or subtract layers underneath as needed.

Be prepared for rain. Most bring a hooded waterproof or water-resistant jacket that is large enough to layer t-shirts, sweaters or sweatshirts underneath.

But if you don't have one, you can always buy one in just about any of the Alaska ports, at very reasonable prices.

The outside temperature will vary not only with respect to the weather for that day but just where you are sailing.

The key is to layer clothing.

I would have a shirt, fleece/sweatshirt or seater and then a water proof jacket. You might need all, some or just one item. Long pants and one that is waterproof is good. If you are sailing the Glacier you might need a hat, scarf and/or gloves.

Don't forget sunscreen and sunglasses.

Keith

Well - casual, to start off with.

The first thing I'd put in is a lightweight Gore-Tex jacket in a long length, with attached hood. This will be your only layer or your top layer over 4 things, depending on if you're at the glacier or in town.

You may get a warm day and just want capris or shorts and a tee shirt.

We bring short sleeve shirts, long sleeve, a light sweater, a sweatshirt and a waterproof top jacket layer (the Gore-Tex).

I have cotton casual pants I can roll up, they're easy to pack. Alaska is also the only cruise I bring jeans.

I bring glove liners and gloves. The liners so I can more easily operate my camera. And something for my head. Usually I use one of those fleece bands from snow skiing. I even threw in my neck gaiter and used it on both cruises at the glacier.

Typically on an Alaskan cruise we put a bunch of the things in one of those Space Bags you can suck the air out of, or roll the air out of, and it takes less room in that precious luggage space.

No worries. If you forget something or you decide you need more, the ship will sell tees, jackets, sweats, sweaters - and if you're into that kind of thing, they will have "Alaska" embroidered or printed on them. (I'm NOT into that kind of thing but YMMV). As a matter of fact, they may not-so-subtly "suggest" you need something by leaving some doors open on deck conveniently located by some tables filled with sweat shirts, so you can feel the cold air and like Pavlov's dog, head straight for your sea pass card and a sweatshirt you didn't know you needed!

On the ship:

-jeans or casual pants, capris (it's very casual)

-long sleeve t-shirts and short sleeve t-shirts, tops for dinner

-layering ...hoodies, sweater, windbreaker (you can buy cheap polar fleece and jackets in every port)

- gloves, scarf

- a pashmina (can be used as a scarf outside, or a shawl for the dining room)

-nicer outfits for dinner in the dining room ... most women wore dress pants and a nice top, I also took a black skirt and some heels. Most people "cleaned up" to go to the main dining room, but not generally too dressy.

- Formal outfit if you plan to do the formal nights.

-a least 2 pair of walking shoes in case one pair gets wet. I also had sandals and dress shoes for the ship.

Remember it's casual (on the ship and on the tours)- dress for spring or fall weather. If you get cold, just put on another layer.

Edited by marysb

Thank's in advance,

J.

J

Come on, you're from Michigan, Alaska will feel like a sauna to you. :D:D:D:D

If you are talking about, just on the ship, while cruising, it will be a bit chilly. A decent windbreaker will be just fine, and if you do tend to get cold, I would bring along a nice Ohio State hoodie. (just kidding, of course). But the hoodie advice is spot on. On days when the sun don't shine, it will be invaluable. In the ports, the temps are moderate, but around the glaciers, or while cruising, it can get nippy. Myself, being from NY, we love it.

You don't need any really warm clothing, as all have already said, it's all in the layers.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thank's in advance,

J.

I was just on an Alaskan cruise in early July. We had cruised before, but only in Caribbean. This is what we found:

On the ship I usually wore capris and a t-shirt. The inside temp. of the ship is pretty much the same as in the Caribbean so whatever you have been comfortable wearing there will be fine for an Alaskan cruise. I don't get cold easily, but when going out on the outside decks when the ship was moving I found it quite chilly at times, and I would add a hoodie. What bothered me the most was cold wind on my neck, so I bought a scarf on board the ship.

For all our excursions I wore jeans - never take them on a Caribbean cruise.

People say to take layers - So true! I took a fleece parka length hoodie and a nylon waterproof shell- the day in Juneau it rained all day so really got the use out of the shell. Other days, like in Tracy Arm I just needed the fleece hoodie.

I also found I wore a couple of long sleeve t shirts a few times. They were lightweight but kept my arms warm.

Have a good trip.:)

We sailed the carnival miracle in July. It is a very casual cruise. People wore hoodies and jackets all day and night. It was very unlike the caribbean cruises I saw a lot of light weight north face jackets. I wish that I would have brought several colors of light weight jackets to wear during the day and evening. Hardly anyone dressed up and were not in sun dresses. Most people wore jeans all day and evening though cotton pants are nice too. Don't try to dress up. No one else will be. It reminded me of fall football weather and sitting outside at a game. For excursions, I wore a fleece hooded jacket under a jean jacket and put a Columbia rain jacket over it for the drizzle/ rain. Oh, hardly anyone wore sandals either. I saw a lot of Merrill type shoes or tennis shoes, sketchers, casual shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank's in advance,

J.

Being out on deck IS cold and windy, especially while underway. A good jacket (doesn't have to be like a parka) is a must. Jeans are very appropriate, especially for walking out on deck.

Enjoy!!

And don't forget your bathing suit, it doesn't take up much space in your suitcase.

It's wonderful to sit in the hot tub and watch the spectacular scenery.

Yes, you are so right!;)

How to spot a Canadian on board, just look for the cruisers in their swimsuits who are in the pool! That was my husband on June 1st and 2nd of this year cruising out of Seattle on our way to Alaska!;);)

Yes, you are so right!;)

How to spot a Canadian on board, just look for the cruisers in their swimsuits who are in the pool! That was my husband on June 1st and 2nd of this year cruising out of Seattle on our way to Alaska!;);)

Or anyone from the Pacific Northwest. :D

We sail this Saturday and are experienced cruisers but all to warm destinations. This has truly been the hardest cruise to pack for. We are used to the cold being in Canada so I'm not as worried about being cold but because of the time of year it is now and the long range forecast (which changes frequently) we really could get weather for capris and sandals as well as cool, wet weather more like late fall here. Both require different articles of clothing and then there's the shoes. Good thing I'm not much of a shopper, they'll be no room to buy anything.

Or anyone from the Pacific Northwest. :D

yep if there is going to be anytime i am in the out side pool it will be on our departure day. As a kid i use to go swimming in the puget sound. Now days i need a bit warmer, but not much.