Boston Excursions

dontworry

Would appreciate any info regarding Excursions to Boston

Is the cruise ship terminal close to downtown Boston?

What is the best mode of traffic to downtown-taxi, HAL shuttle, walk, bus?

Are there excursions that do a tour of the city and then leave you on your own to explore before bringing you back to the ship

would be thankful for any info, shared experiences etc

We have always loved visiting Boston (we can drive there in about 7 hours) and have also enjoyed it as a cruise port. There are certainly some folks from Boston that can give you better info than moi, but we would answer your question from the point of view of a visitor (who has been to Bean Town more then 8 times and spend quite a bit of time in hotels).

The Port is in the city, but is some distance (perhaps 1 1/2 miles) from the Central part of Boston (Faneuil Hall area). One can certainly take a cruise line excursion if you like being on excursions. But you can also use very inexpensive public transit. You can walk to a nearby bus stop and take the bus to the Metro station from where you can go nearly anywhere in the city. On our last visit, we had gorgeous weather and decided to walk from the cruise terminal all the way into Central Boston which we did in less then an hour. We then walked all the way back, and stopped at James Hook & Co...for what we consider the best lobster on earth. This place is somewhat of a dump, but is a major lobster wholesaler who also serves retail customers (we ate in the parking lot at a picnic table).

So whether you go off on your own, or take a tour, is just a personal choice. If you do decide to go on your own, do some online research and perhaps get a copy of the Rick Steves Guide.

Hank

There is so much to see and do in Boston, a few suggestions for things that might interest you are: Fanueil Hall Marketplace (pronounced Fannel) http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/, USS Constitution (America's oldest warship - a true sight to see and tour), Paul Revere House,(in the Italian section of the City called the North End - have lunch, the food is fabulous), Fenway Park, Bunker Hill Monument, JFK Museum, Isabella Steward Gardner Museum (one of the most charming), Boston Public Gardens, Swan Boats and and and........ the list of what to do in Boston goes on and on.

James Hook does have great, fresh lobsters. It had a total ruin fire and was rebuilt in recent years.

Are you familiar with the Freedom Trail in Boston? It's a red brick trail that begins at Boston Common and progresses for 2.5 miles to 16 historic sites in Boston ending at the U.S.S. Constitution. Our July cruise terminated in Boston and we spent the day doing the Freedom Trail. (You can walk as much or as little of it as you want.)

Before we left on the cruise, I purchased the Freedom Trail audiotour for my MP3 player from the Freedom Trail Foundation. I thought it was a great way to learn about the historic sites of Boston and go at my own pace. The audiotour costs $15 and you get 5 downloads, so you and up to 4 of your traveling companions can each download a copy to his/her MP3 player.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Would appreciate any info regarding Excursions to Boston

Is the cruise ship terminal close to downtown Boston?

What is the best mode of traffic to downtown-taxi, HAL shuttle, walk, bus?

Are there excursions that do a tour of the city and then leave you on your own to explore before bringing you back to the ship

would be thankful for any info, shared experiences etc

The cruise terminal is close, but it would long walk through the Seaport District to get to Downtown. I recommend a taxi. As the above posters pointed out, there is a lot to do, depending on your interests.

I recommend the popular Duck Boat tour (amphibious vehicle combining land sights and on the Charles River) which will show you a lot without so much walking. (google Boston Duckboats)(don't book during rush hour traffic)

Thee best cosmopolitan shopping area is Newbury St. which is littered with trendy stores and sidewalk cafes.

My favorite Museum is the Isabella Gardner House (very interesting and you can see most of it in an hour). (Fenway neighborhood/take taxi)

Unless you're hell bent on seafood, and you enjoy Italian food, I'd recommend the historic North End which has countless Italian restaurants concentrated in just a few blocks. You can combine this with a visit to the Paul Revere House.

If you don't mind walking (A LOT), the Freedom Trail is great, but I'd recommend a guide or the audio. Then there is the Public Garden (maybe a ride on a Swan Boat), roam through historic Beacon Hill, or stroll along the Charles River Esplanade.

If you're a sports fan, you might like to take a tour of Fenway Park. That is, of course, assuming you're not a NY Yankee fan (Yankee fans generally like sights relating to devil worship and I can't offer suggestions)

Boston is chalked full of historic sights, cultural sights and is very safe. I hope the weather is great for your visit!

Edited by meterman2

I'm trying to picture lobster on the picnic table outside. Is it a take out with full dinner (and butter to dip) or something made from lobster? Or served on the patio section of the restaurant???

James Hooks is somewhat of an institution. The restaurant section is very congested and does have a few tables inside. But the outdoor picnic tables (at one side of their small parking lot) is much nicer if the weather cooperates. They do sell some "sides" to go with the lobster (or lobster roll) and they just put it in a Styrofoam container from which you eat. Nothing is "served" in this place as everything as you just go up to the counter and order. When your food is ready you take it to a table, your car, whatever.

Their selection of lobster is quite amazing with just about every size one can imagine. It is a hike from the port (must be about 1 mile) but right over the bridge that takes you into the downtown area from the port. If you are really curious you can look at their web site:

http://www.jameshooklobster.com/

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

thank you all for your very informative replies. This will help us a great deal to make some decisions about our time in the great city. When I first read some of the details on the HAL excursions I had the idea that if you wanted to not return to the ship as part of the excursion that you were being stranded a huge distance away. This is our first time to Boston so we want to see as much as possible plus have the opportunity to wander around on our own as well. thanks again, greatly appreciated.

hoping to get even more replies :)

Boston is not a huge city such as New York or London. :) On a Saturday, when Maasdam and Veendam both board, unless there is some major event going on in the city, a taxi ride from most places in the city is not THAT far.

Just want to mention that if you are in the North End (Italian Section) to see Paul Revere House, you might wish to also see Old North Church. That is where the lanterns signaled "One if by Land, Two if by Sea"..... the British are coming at the start of the Revolutionary War. Doesn't get much more historic in America than that. :) Wandering around North End on a beautiful summer day is always pleasant.

Edited by sail7seas

Hi

Take the hop off hop on trolly. Alos you can take public transportation to see the John Quincy Adams house in Quincy. Is you go make sure you go to the National park store/place. You can take the trolly there if your over 65 you can get a life time pass and the trolly is tree (anyone) in your party will be free for the trolly. Not sure But I think the Constution might be closed. Its usually repair every few years the wood has to replaced. Please DO not DRIVE.. You can walk most places and use public transportation. I always take friends vistiting Me we always do the hop off and on trolly. Boston/Massachusetts has very bad signs telling you where to go. You can visit Salem, Corcord/Lexington.. One nice trip is to Newport RI. where the Rich and very rich had thier summer cottages. ( Mansions) Its a fun trip and you see how the rich and famous spend thier summer vacations having party after party.

Have fun In Boston

ask any questions I be happy to answer

Mary

Hi

Take the hop off hop on trolly. Alos you can take public transportation to see the John Quincy Adams house in Quincy. Is you go make sure you go to the National park store/place. You can take the trolly there if your over 65 you can get a life time pass and the trolly is tree (anyone) in your party will be free for the trolly. Not sure But I think the Constution might be closed. Its usually repair every few years the wood has to replaced. Please DO not DRIVE.. You can walk most places and use public transportation. I always take friends vistiting Me we always do the hop off and on trolly. Boston/Massachusetts has very bad signs telling you where to go. You can visit Salem, Corcord/Lexington.. One nice trip is to Newport RI. where the Rich and very rich had thier summer cottages. ( Mansions) Its a fun trip and you see how the rich and famous spend thier summer vacations having party after party.

Have fun In Boston and cruise

Mary

Hi

Take the hop off hop on trolly. Alos you can take public transportation to see the John Quincy Adams house in Quincy. Is you go make sure you go to the National park store/place. You can take the trolly there if your over 65 you can get a life time pass and the trolly is tree (anyone) in your party will be free for the trolly. Not sure But I think the Constution might be closed. Its usually repair every few years the wood has to replaced. Please DO not DRIVE.. You can walk most places and use public transportation. I always take friends vistiting Me we always do the hop off and on trolly. Boston/Massachusetts has very bad signs telling you where to go. You can visit Salem' date=' Corcord/Lexington.. One nice trip is to Newport RI. where the Rich and very rich had thier summer cottages. ( Mansions) Its a fun trip and you see how the rich and famous spend thier summer vacations having party after party.

Have fun In Boston and cruise

Mary[/quote']

I don't think they have time for that, Mary. They only have the day from what I understand. They have to be back on the ship in time for sail away. OP does not say if this is embarkation port for them but if it is, they have to be back for life boat drill. I think they are sailing HAL so it is possible it is turnaround day on Maasdam Montreal to Boston to Montreal?

Edited by sail7seas

The Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) is world renowned and a fabulous museum. We were just there on Wednesday with one of our 14 year old granddaughters and I marvel - always - at the wonderful permanent as well as traveling exhibits. Now through the end of the year is a fascinating Jamie Wyeth exhibit. http://www.mfa.org.

Easy to get to...you would just have to take the "T" from South Station to Park Street; then transfer to a subway going out to Huntington Avenue. Orange Line I believe.

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is nearby so you could easily do both.

Edited by innlady1

You folks are the best. We have so many great ideas to choose from. We are from Alberta doing the CAN/NE 24 Sept on the Eurodam. We leave from QC and end in NYC We have a fair numboer of hours in Boston so we will make the most of it. American history is fascinating to me and I dont want to miss the highlights.

Thankyou again.

bob from Alberta :-)

You folks are the best. We have so many great ideas to choose from. We are from Alberta doing the CAN/NE 24 Sept on the Eurodam. We leave from QC and end in NYC We have a fair numboer of hours in Boston so we will make the most of it. American history is fascinating to me and I dont want to miss the highlights.Thankyou again.

Until September 1 (I don't know when your cruise is), there is a wonderful exhibit at the MFA on the Magna Carta. We're going in next week to see it as we ran out of time last week.

You folks are the best. We have so many great ideas to choose from. We are from Alberta doing the CAN/NE 24 Sept on the Eurodam. We leave from QC and end in NYC We have a fair numboer of hours in Boston so we will make the most of it. American history is fascinating to me and I dont want to miss the highlights.

Thankyou again.

You have a nice long day on 10/1 in Boston, with an 8am arrival and 11pm departure. Boston is a walking city and you can meander/wander to your feet's content and then hail a cab back to the ship. Don't miss Fanueil Hall, the Freedom Trail (and the lovely Italian delicacies of the North End, like Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street) and a hike to the Boston Common, Public Garden and the State House.

Enjoy the day and the whole cruise!

When my DD was a college student in Boston we did the Duck tour one day and had the best time and I learned quite a bit about the city. Our driver was great and he knew all of the food sample people. We had energy drinks, yogurt, chips and cookies all delivered to our vehicle as we travelled the city. We ended up skipping lunch. We will be on the Eurodam next year, stopping in Boston for the day. We are going to go to the JFK museum and then head to downtown and then to the north end for pastries. We will likely walk from the north end to South Station and then take the silver line back to the ship. We can't wait to return to Boston

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by swin26

You have a nice long day on 10/1 in Boston, with an 8am arrival and 11pm departure. Boston is a walking city and you can meander/wander to your feet's content and then hail a cab back to the ship. Don't miss Fanueil Hall, the Freedom Trail (and the lovely Italian delicacies of the North End, like Mike's Pastry on Hanover Street) and a hike to the Boston Common, Public Garden and the State House.

Enjoy the day and the whole cruise!

I like Modern Pastry on Hanover St. much better!

Had to smile at the Museum recommendations in this thread. DW and I are both art museum lovers, and it is always our Plan B...when in Boston. Our basic rule is that if the weather is good we want to spend outdoors in Boston, since it is a fantastic city for walking and just enjoying the atmosphere. So, for our last half dozen (approximately) visits we have had near perfect weather and have not been inside a Bean Town museum in over a decade. And we will not change. The thought of spending a beautiful New England day indoors...is enough to make me cry.

Hank