Regal Princess: Booking Retreat cabanas

NSAHO79

We are considering booking a cruise on the Regal Princess for next Feb. From what I have read there is an adults only pool area called the Retreat Pool which is great. But there are also cabanas around that pool and I would like to know how you can rent them and how much it costs. Any info would be great. Thanks.:)

We are considering booking a cruise on the Regal Princess for next Feb. From what I have read there is an adults only pool area called the Retreat Pool which is great. But there are also cabanas around that pool and I would like to know how you can rent them and how much it costs. Any info would be great. Thanks.:)

A search found lots of threads....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2077946&highlight=cabanas

Not much information on them, other than $50 per half day. Reserve them at the Sanctuary desk. I believe that multiple days can be booked in advance - but I'm not 100% sure on that.

You can NOT book online, or otherwise in advance. The Retreat Pool Cabanas are unfortunately very basic, no ceiling fan, no cooler chest of drinks or TV.

Hopefully, they will be upgraded in the future, along with online advance booking.

Even so, I hope to book one for our sea days.

You may note in Pam's picture that loungers around the pool are occupied, as is the pool, while the cabanas are empty. On the TA she and I were on, I don't recall ever seeing one of them being used.

$50 for half a day? For that? Oh, please!

On Regal recently and wouldn't waste your money IMHO. $80 per day is having a laugh, they're far from private, get the full force of the wind on sea days and people just sit around/in front of them anyway. Even saw one person leave their drinks in one whilst the 'owners' were in pool. Drinks then blew over in the wind...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we cruised on Royal I never saw anyone using them. They blocked the view of the pool from regular louges. There are hardly any lounges in the shade.Ii guess that is why Princess thought they could sell the over priced Cabanas.

Edited by dorisis

On our Regal cruise, they were very popular. They're $50 per half day and booked at the Sanctuary desk. They are not private but do have a wind barrier wall on one side. On days where the loungers are all full, it's nice to have your own oasis right next to the pool.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm wondering if the Cabana usage depends not only on the crowds aboard and the demographics, but the itinerary and time of year as well? Seems like experiences would differ on a busy port intensive Mediterranean cruise versus a Caribbean cruise over a major holiday?

I was aboard Royal Princess for two weeks in December 2013 and the Retreat Cabanas were quite busy (all six were often in use or reserved) except on one or two days where it was so windy you couldn't hardly stand topside.

The (filtered) shading over the loungers is dependent on the angle of the sun and shifts as the day progresses. And if I'm relaxing in a lounger I don't need to 'see' a pool. ;)

If you're interested in renting one I'd definitely check into it the very first day aboard ship in order to reserve the date and time you have in mind.

Early morning Reserved signs

11580471186_b5a171d9dc_c.jpg

Cabanas occupied

11579817245_3468cb9c16_c.jpg

Some shaded loungers

11580027234_88761fd9cf_c.jpg

Some not-so-shaded loungers

11370989404_8b43ac0c1f_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

On our Regal cruise, they were very popular. They're $50 per half day and booked at the Sanctuary desk. They are not private but do have a wind barrier wall on one side.

Based on other posts, the wind barrier is only on the Regal cabanas, not on the Royal ones.

UH OH!

The curtains don't look like they close! What's the point?

That will be a deal breaker.

Does someone have a picture of the Regal Retreat Pool cabana walls?

Edited by HUNKY

UH OH!

It is a clear plastic (or glass) sheet on one of the four sides.

UH OH!

This from Wikipedia:

"Cabana: A temporary, seasonal, or permanent free standing shade structure with:

- adjustable curtains or shades; and/or

- decorative drapes or solid walls; all on one or more sides."

There's a picture of a Cabana on the Regal Princess in this post from the review by SeaCBear:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42930641&postcount=13

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Looks like they addressed the wind problem on the Regal. The Retreat pool is very, very windy.

As for the demographics or itinerary, on our T/A on the Royal, the first half of the cruise was very port intensive with seven sea days to FLL. I didn't see anyone using the Retreat cabanas although the Sanctuary cabanas were booked solid.

DM Thanks for the link to pic of the glass wall on Regal!

Would think Princess could of saved a ton of money by expanding the curtains the full width on each side.

There was a new, vertical wind break designed and built (forward and above the Retreat) on Regal Princess that Royal Princess does not have, so I can't testify on how well this new wind break works on all of the various sailings.

And of course wind direction and speed can change, but if the relative wind is off of the forward end of the ship then only extending fabric curtains the full width on each side to block the wind would not be as effective as installing a solid glass panel, and by the looks of it it's pretty thick glass.

I don't know why the Cabanas where used a lot more on my two weeks in the Caribbean versus an Atlantic crossing, however one cannot assume just because they didn't see them used for one journey, doesn't mean that they won't be booked solid on the next. ;)

Vertical Windbreak on Regal Princess

14964441521_0417192672_o.jpg

(Credit Roy Batty)

Edited by dmwnc1959