Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Usually, we wouldn't cruise Carnival. BUT the Venezia was kinda different. The locker room had 12 lockers stuffed into a corner and the only seat sat 2 and was in front of the lockers. (musical chairs?)

The sauna was great...hot, hot, hot! And the whirlpool tub was very relaxing. Next to it was a rinse which featured various types of rinse.

The spa has a labyrinth of electric doors. Once you get the hang of it, its' okay.

A man on our cruise was blind and it was a problem for him...everyone pitched-in to help.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 6:44 PM, sauna director said:

Usually, we wouldn't cruise Carnival. BUT the Venezia was kinda different. The locker room had 12 lockers stuffed into a corner and the only seat sat 2 and was in front of the lockers. (musical chairs?)

The sauna was great...hot, hot, hot! And the whirlpool tub was very relaxing. Next to it was a rinse which featured various types of rinse.

The spa has a labyrinth of electric doors. Once you get the hang of it, its' okay.

A man on our cruise was blind and it was a problem for him...everyone pitched-in to help.

Glad you enjoyed Venezia! I really enjoyed the spa area...once you found your way to the sauna through all the doors! The lockers and bench are super tiny, but no one on my sailing was very shy. Venezia is one of my favorite ships overall. 

On 12/22/2023 at 7:17 AM, bejwee said:

Just got back from 9 days on the NCL pearl. Can confirm that in the paid thermal area there are still separate men's and women's wet areas on either side of the ship with a coed area in the middle. Men's side still has an awesome sauna, small but working steam, single person hot tub, and single person cold plunge.  Super disappointed at the crowd in there though, lots of people in suits yammering away that don't have spa etiquette. I sat in the sauna and steam naked on a towel, but there we're only other two folks on ship following suit.  There is a small two to three person steam room attached to the gym in the men's bathroom, that was not super frequented either.  It's a shame because so many people go on Royal Caribbean and the food is so much worse than NCL, although the entertainment is better. 

Thanks for the info.  I think my wife and I will be going on NCL Jade sometime soon and it looks like it a has a similar layout.  I do enjoy the cruise ships that have non-mixed steam rooms and saunas.  Some  ships have only co-ed saunas that require swimsuits, (which is uncomfortable, IMO).  Do you mind me asking how much you had to pay for the thermal pass?

7 minutes ago, JourneyMan89 said:

Thanks for the info.  I think my wife and I will be going on NCL Jade sometime soon and it looks like it a has a similar layout.  I do enjoy the cruise ships that have non-mixed steam rooms and saunas.  Some  ships have only co-ed saunas that require swimsuits, (which is uncomfortable, IMO).  Do you mind me asking how much you had to pay for the thermal pass?

I don't remember, but I think it was somewhere around $120 for the 9-day cruise. I could be off though, I'm sure you could Google it. Enjoy the Jade!

2 minutes ago, Rooney428 said:

Not yet - but hat are they set up like?

Just went on the Eurodam, 11 day Caribbean.  Has probably room for 4-6 guys. Single shower and small change area. It is separate from the spa area..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JourneyMan89 said:

The Jade has a 6 man hot tub instead of the single ones in mens atea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott55021 said:

Just went on the Eurodam, 11 day Caribbean.  Has probably room for 4-6 guys. Single shower and small change area. It is separate from the spa area..

Heading on the Eurodam for the first time next month.

Great news that there is a sauna.

Love the free sauna on Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam.

Did it get much use?

12 hours ago, sauna director said:

Our favorites were the Adventure OTS and the Liberty OTS. Liberty OTS returns to Bayonne in May.

Anyone know if it will still have the same (free) amenities?

Thankfully they have not ruined Adventure and Liberty... yet. Freedom, Voyager, and Navigator all had their nice locker rooms with complimentary sauna/steam facilities ripped out in favor of adding cabins and other things that generate revenue directly. 

On 3/18/2023 at 1:10 PM, huntnewt said:

Does anyone have any experience with Carnival ships? I only have experience with Carnival Splendor that has a shared pool and steam rooms and a small sauna in the men’s locker room.

I've sailed on Valor several times and also on Glory which has the same layout.  The men's changing room has both a sauna and a steam room.  Both are fairly large with plenty of seating and have windows with a nice view of the sea.  Most of the times I've used them they were not very busy - so never too crowded.  It's always been a pleasant experience.  

4 hours ago, alexdw said:

Heading on the Eurodam for the first time next month.

Great news that there is a sauna.

Love the free sauna on Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam.

Did it get much use?

I used the sauna every morning and evening.  Only complaint was the "operational times". One morning I was in sauna by 7:30 am and that evening again until 10:15 pm. The next morning it was still "off" at 8 am and was off that evening before 8:30 pm. Guest services didn't know what the hours were???

• Like 1

We were on the Eurodam when it first came out. Took the spa tour and were told the benefits of there spa (only) AND the price. Then we went to the gym and spoke to the instructor and asked if they had any (free) steam or sauna. He said "yes...just down the hall". We went down the hall and there was a small opening with the sign "men". Inside was a shower, towels, a small bench and a sauna. I guess you might say it was "under advertised". 

• Like 3

Update to my post #1988.  I have at last caught up with the friend on sailed on 
The MSC World Europa last month, the ship has a FREE to use  male only sauna located in the gym locker room, it is open 0600-2100. He reports that the facility was barley used - he only saw one other chap in there all week, who like my friend used it a break to get some peace & quiet on a ship fully loaded with 7000 passengers!

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is off-topic too much, but I had a general question for those men who enjoy cruise ship saunas.  Regarding the social atmosphere in the sauna, do you prefer it to be very quiet and peaceful with very little or no talking, or do you enjoy conversations and camaraderie with other gents, or perhaps something in between?

6 minutes ago, JourneyMan89 said:

I'm not sure if this is off-topic too much, but I had a general question for those men who enjoy cruise ship saunas.  Regarding the social atmosphere in the sauna, do you prefer it to be very quiet and peaceful with very little or no talking, or do you enjoy conversations and camaraderie with other gents, or perhaps something in between?

I enjoyed chatting and seeing where everyone is from? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JourneyMan89 said:

Everyone has their own take..but I prefer to stick to traditional sauna and spa culture of relaxation and quiet. There's nothing worse than being in a meditative state and relaxing when someone comes in and starts chatting some nonsense small talk. Kills the vibe..

• Like 2

Different strokes for different folks...We have been sailing for quite some time and enjoy hearing about other persons experiences on different cruise lines and ships. Like everyone on C.C. the thirst for knowledge about which lines and ships are better for individuals...Of course, everyone is an expert...so, take what you hear with a grain of salt.

For steam and sauna benefits, there is a (google) list on this topic back a few pages.

Welcome to the boards!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bejwee said:

Everyone has their own take..but I prefer to stick to traditional sauna and spa culture of relaxation and quiet. There's nothing worse than being in a meditative state and relaxing when someone comes in and starts chatting some nonsense small talk. Kills the vibe..

I’ve often found that sometimes a little small talk can really help someone get more comfortable for longer conversations. I don’t mind the small talk at all. I get the zen relaxation state benefits, but if someone needs a little small talk to feel comfortable, I’m happy to banter back a bit. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GaryR6273 said:

I’ve often found that sometimes a little small talk can really help someone get more comfortable for longer conversations. I don’t mind the small talk at all. I get the zen relaxation state benefits, but if someone needs a little small talk to feel comfortable, I’m happy to banter back a bit. 

I'm talking about shorts guy who comes in wanting to know how your cruise has been going and talk about world events, or who knows what else. Again, everyone has their own opinion here but my take is it is best to stay Zen vibe, there is no further communicating needed with proper towel use and subtleties. 

• Like 2