Miami or Jacksonville for Port Canaveral?

Cshgrand

I understand that neither would be the logical choice but they are by far the cheapest flights and would give us a saving of over $300 each compared to Orlando. We can get a small car on a one way rental for $75 including insurances and a tank of fuel and would be looking to pay this even if we flew to Orlando to get to Canaveral.

Which would be the easiest drive?

I am guessing car rental is a smooth process at either airport or is that also a consideration?

We will be doing most of the journey early on the morning of the cruise as will have flown in from UK the day prior. Looking to book with Choice Air this weekend so your thoughts appreciated.

I'm thinking Jacksonville also. i had to drive through jacksonville to get to the port and i want to say it was about a 2 1/2 hour drive. looking it up on Google Jacksonville to cape Canaveral is 160 miles and from miami it is 200 miles. and i would imagine the traffic from miami up to cape canavaral would be worse than from Jacksonville.

I understand that neither would be the logical choice but they are by far the cheapest flights and would give us a saving of over $300 each compared to Orlando. We can get a small car on a one way rental for $75 including insurances and a tank of fuel and would be looking to pay this even if we flew to Orlando to get to Canaveral.

Which would be the easiest drive?

I am guessing car rental is a smooth process at either airport or is that also a consideration?

We will be doing most of the journey early on the morning of the cruise as will have flown in from UK the day prior. Looking to book with Choice Air this weekend so your thoughts appreciated.

Definately Jacksonville!!! You would only be about 2 hours away from Port Canaveral and it is a straight drive down Interstate 95.

Most of the car rentals agencies have offices near the port and a free shuttles to take you to the ship.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

JAX also has very easy rental car pick up.... counters are in baggage claim, and the cars themselves are in the parking lot adjacent to the terminal.

Unless it's rush hour, don't bother taking the beltway around the city. The traffic thru the city isn't bad at all.

Aloha,

John

I agree with Jacksonville as well. However, if you're committed to fly in that far away from the port, then I would check the air fares to TPA and FLL as well.

Daytona and Melbourne also

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Daytona and Melbourne also.

Yes, check these two, they're the easiest. But if they don't work, Jacksonville all day long. Just about anything is better than Miami traffic. :) It's about 2.5-3 hours from airport to Cape Canaveral, and a super easy drive.

One word of advice for anyone traveling through here in the foreseeable future, though-95 is all jacked up through downtown. I would suggest taking the 295 bypass (probably the east side vs. west, follow signs for Jax Beaches) and meeting back up with 95 after the city. That goes for northbound as well as south. The roadwork through downtown is not ending anytime soon. Ordinarily I would agree with the other posters to not bother with 295 unless it's rush hour, but downtown is a hot mess right now.

Edited by mspink98

Another vote for Jax, but I would be remiss is I did not also mention the retail opportunities in St Augustine, a mere 20 minutes or so south of Jax on 95.

TWO separate outlet malls, one on each side of the highway at the same exit. Just in case you need to pick up another pair of sandals or a cruise outfit. :D

Yes, check these two, they're the easiest. But if they don't work, Jacksonville all day long. Just about anything is better than Miami traffic. :) It's about 2.5-3 hours from airport to Cape Canaveral, and a super easy drive.

One word of advice for anyone traveling through here in the foreseeable future, though-95 is all jacked up through downtown. I would suggest taking the 295 bypass (probably the east side vs. west, follow signs for Jax Beaches) and meeting back up with 95 after the city. That goes for northbound as well as south. The roadwork through downtown is not ending anytime soon. Ordinarily I would agree with the other posters to not bother with 295 unless it's rush hour, but downtown is a hot mess right now.

Plus you get to cross a gorgeous suspension bridge on the east bypass

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

JAX all the way. Even if JAX was 30 minute further drive (it shouldn't be), I would still take it over dealing with MIA. I was just in MIA this week and in JAX the three weeks prior (flying in an out each week). JAX is a much easier airport to deal with. Car rental situation is far more convenient. Traffic in Miami is much worse than in Jacksonville.

Thank you all for your input. We are book to fly from London to Jacksonville via Washington. It was a great saving over direct flights to Orlando and we are looking forward to taking a leisurely drive to port seeing a new part of Florida so appreciate your help. (The outlets near JAX were the real deal clincher tho!!!)

Once your on the way to PC from Jax rental car area, you should take the by-pass. East bypass is shorter than West and goes by the Jax Port area over Dames Point Bridge

I-95 in downtown is under construction and averages about 3-4 traffic stopping accidents per day, poor signs, rough roads just avoid if at all possible.