Preferred Name Question

I have always used my middle name - never my first name. But all of my legal documents are under my first name. Is there any way to notify RCL that even though my legal name is XX I prefer to use my middle name?

And no - I don't want to legally change my name. My family traditionally names the first daughter after the mother and first son after the dad. To change my name would devastate my mom.

I'm just not used to using my first name and have a tendency to not answer when it's used.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks -

M.

I have always used my middle name - never my first name. But all of my legal documents are under my first name. Is there any way to notify RCL that even though my legal name is XX I prefer to use my middle name?

And no - I don't want to legally change my name. My family traditionally names the first daughter after the mother and first son after the dad. To change my name would devastate my mom.

I'm just not used to using my first name and have a tendency to not answer when it's used.

Thanks -

M.

This is serious stuff. You have a legal name and that's what you use to buy your way on a flight and the ship. After that, no one will care what you call yourself

We have found that the stewards and waiters always ask you what you prefer to be called. You have to be booked under your legal name, but they will call you whatever you prefer once onboard. Just let them know.

My husband likes to be called by his initials. After the first day those you contact every day will know how to address you (if you tell them). There will be some you deal with only once and they will call you by the name that comes up on their screen. Barb

Thanks -

M.

Why? I go by my middle name and have never been called by my first name by anyone who knows me, but it's not a big deal if someone uses it. I do answer to my first name though. Not that difficult because I know my name. I have told our steward and waiter when we meet, but beyond that, I just go with the flow. All legal documents and financial stuff has my real first name and that's how I sign everything. My passport, ID, credit cards, etc all are in my legal name and it really doesn't matter what I go by.

As for not answering to your first name, no one will be calling out your name.

I would guess that 15% of those onboard do not go by their legal first name so it's pretty common but the cruiseline doesn't care what you want to be called because they just are concerned with your real, legal name.

Edited by BND

Maybe it is because I am older, but I have always been addressed by my surname on the ship not by my first name until I asked them to use it.

I actually have trouble getting them to use my first name, it is always Mr and when I say call me Geoff it becomes Mr Geoff, the bride finds it so funny.

Thank you for the responses. I *KNOW* it's not an issue and no - my question wasn't meant to be "drama" - but this is my first cruise and wasn't sure how to address this. Yes, if someone uses my legal first name - I respond after a brief moment of "dang, they're talking to me!" (Unless it's someone asking for money!! lol)

My reservation is under my legal name - I travel a lot for work and know this drill. I've just never cruised before, so wasn't sure if there was a formal way to let the staff I would see daily know that I prefer my middle name. I do know that some computer data systems allow a "preferred name" to be entered.

It's good to know that the stewards and such will ask. That's all I wondered.

M.

Thank you for the responses. I *KNOW* it's not an issue and no - my question wasn't meant to be "drama" - but this is my first cruise and wasn't sure how to address this. Yes, if someone uses my legal first name - I respond after a brief moment of "dang, they're talking to me!" (Unless it's someone asking for money!! lol)

My reservation is under my legal name - I travel a lot for work and know this drill. I've just never cruised before, so wasn't sure if there was a formal way to let the staff I would see daily know that I prefer my middle name. I do know that some computer data systems allow a "preferred name" to be entered.

It's good to know that the stewards and such will ask. That's all I wondered.

M.

Your stateroom attendant and dining staff will be happy to use whatever name you tell them you prefer.

My husband uses his middle name, when we were on Independence a few weeks ago we just told the waiting staff in the MDR on the first night and they obviously made a note of it as they called him by his middle name every night there after. When we were waiting to be seated one night I noticed the little slips they print off with the table number have notes about names, food tolerances, preferences etc which all helps with the service

Just mention it on arrival and it will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a spin-off -- is there any way to have the Chefs Table and Central Park 150 use a different name on their menu printing?

We're going to be on our honeymoon and obviously there's no time to have our legal documents match our new name. It's obviously no big deal if they can't do it -- but I was wondering if anyone had done this and who we would contact once we got on board.

As a spin-off -- is there any way to have the Chefs Table and Central Park 150 use a different name on their menu printing?

We're going to be on our honeymoon and obviously there's no time to have our legal documents match our new name. It's obviously no big deal if they can't do it -- but I was wondering if anyone had done this and who we would contact once we got on board.

I would contact the respective restaurant venues.

Don't they usually refer to people as: Mrs. ________ or Mr.________?

I don't remember ship staff calling me by my first name...

Our experience is after we meet our steward and waitstaff and tell them our names, they call us Mr first name and Mrs name I go by, not Mr& Mrs last name.

I had actually asked about this around a week ago. My daughter goes by a nickname and not her legal name. She is 4, and thankfully she has started to understand that she has two names. The last cruise about 3 weeks ago we did the Barbie experience and they kept calling her by her legal name no matter how many time I reminded them of her known name. The last Barbie event was the fashion show and again I reminded them 5 minutes before the show to call her by her known name...... Nope, They announced her with her legal name and since that is just not who she is, it kind of ruined the experience for us. I didn't think it would have been fair to the other kids / families to stop the show to ask them to call her by her known name. Thankfully, my daughter just went with the flow and had a great time.

I don't know what I could have done differently. I almost want to bring name tag stickers for the next cruise and put her known name on it.