New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Okay, admittedly, the 'endemic since cruising began' reference was a bit hyperbolic. But I do believe that most long term cruisers will agree that the chair/lounger hogging problem has been around for a long time, and unfortunately, the cruise lines have not managed to find a workable solution to solve it yet.

Yes, it was a huge problem on our past Princess and Celebrity cruises (except Alaska of course). I guess I was hoping maybe the HAL crowd was better behaved. I do think paying to reserve a lounger is an idea worth considering---more than just the HAL cabanas/retreat area.

31 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Yes, it was a huge problem on our past Princess and Celebrity cruises (except Alaska of course). I guess I was hoping maybe the HAL crowd was better behaved. I do think paying to reserve a lounger is an idea worth considering---more than just the HAL cabanas/retreat area.

While I tend to agree that HAL cruisers are generally 'better behaved' than most other lines, the chair/lounger hogging problem is one that doesn't discriminate between lines.
Your idea of paying to reserve a lounger has merit, but among the HAL crowd, it likely would be considered just another 'nickel and dime' tactic by the line (another hot topic). 🙂

13 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

Yes, it was a huge problem on our past Princess and Celebrity cruises (except Alaska of course). I guess I was hoping maybe the HAL crowd was better behaved.

Have you noticed the chair hogging on a Carnival Caribbean cruise 🤪

7 hours ago, ski ww said:

If only people followed the rules & had some consideration for their fellow cruisers, but chair hogs will always be with us. But paying for a chair will only make a bad situation worse.

Seems like the logical alternate to paying to reserve a chair is for the cruise lines to pay an attendent to monitor the situation and remove belongings from chairs with no occupants for an hour. On Celebrity, there is a pool attendant who will do so if asked. It would be better if they monitored the situation and did it automatically.

• Like 1

We are first time on a HAL ship (Noordam) and surprised how small the bar menus are at every venue, about 10 cocktails listed at each (ex. No mojito, martini, old fashioned) and then specific liquors and wine. On the other lines, bar cocktail / mixed drink menus are huge so kind of surprised. 

5 hours ago, CruiserN1 said:

Seems like the logical alternate to paying to reserve a chair is for the cruise lines to pay an attendent to monitor the situation and remove belongings from chairs with no occupants for an hour. On Celebrity, there is a pool attendant who will do so if asked. It would be better if they monitored the situation and did it automatically.

How about the cruise lines provide more chairs?  Or better yet, build ships with fewer passengers to public spaces?

I was recently on a Princess ship that had refurbished to add extra cabins where there used to be a second theater.  It cut down on the number of programs that could be offered and made all of the other public spaces more crowded (more passengers per public space).

21 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Holy hell, the buffet closes on Noordam at 8PM after a 6:30PM Sail Away? Wow this is going to be interesting. 

FWIW every HAL ship has a Lido Market Late Snack at 10:30 PM if you miss the regular buffet times.  Here are the late snack menus currently in the Caribbean:  Lido Market Late Snack Menus - Caribbean

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pghflyer said:

We are first time on a HAL ship (Noordam) and surprised how small the bar menus are at every venue, about 10 cocktails listed at each (ex. No mojito, martini, old fashioned) and then specific liquors and wine. On the other lines, bar cocktail / mixed drink menus are huge so kind of surprised. 

Each bar has a specialty drink menu for their bar but the master HAL Bar menu is also available.  Mixers are free and you pay the cost of the alcohol used to make your drink.  Current HAL Bar Menu

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shack said:

Floating frat house.

When I implied that lounge hogging was severe on Carnival Caribbean cruises, I didn't mean to insult the passengers.  What I was trying to get at was the crowding - too few lounge chairs for the number of passengers. I have also noticed table hogging in the buffet and chair hogging in the shows.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Can we please not turn this long and informative thread on HAL into another 20+ page discussion on Chair Hogs?  There are plenty of those threads in CC already along with dress codes in the dining rooms.😁

Wasn't intending to, though I think identifying possible solutions (other than people being more considerate of others) is worthwhile.

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Can we please not turn this long and informative thread on HAL into another 20+ page discussion on Chair Hogs? 

12 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Wasn't intending to

Have to say that I did warn everybody when CruiserN1first brought it up, that this could turn into yet another chair hogging thread. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We will be first-time cruisers on HAL Eurodam in April 2024 (currently Disney CC Platinum) with a few questions:

1.  Where (on the HAL website) do we find all the possibilities for bookings (wine tasting, beer tasting, cooking classes, etc)?

2.  When do we start booking? 

3.  When are shore excursions listed on the website? Right now it says nothing listed for our cruise.

This is a very informational site but 222 pages of data is overwhelming. TIA

5 minutes ago, CruisingEngineerI said:

We will be first-time cruisers on HAL Eurodam in April 2024 (currently Disney CC Platinum) with a few questions:

1.  Where (on the HAL website) do we find all the possibilities for bookings (wine tasting, beer tasting, cooking classes, etc)?

These types of events are only available to sign up for after boarding the ship, and are not available to book via HAL's website in advance.

See response to #1.

3.  When are shore excursions listed on the website? Right now it says nothing listed for our cruise.

Shore excursions typically become available ~6-9 mos out, so you have a few more months to go.

I tried to answer your questions (embedded in your post above), but others can add to (or correct) my responses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruisingEngineerI said:

Krooznut covered your questions pretty well. A couple of other things to keep in mind. If you have any HAL issued OBC you cannot like other cruise lines use it to book shore excursions, spa services or specialty restaurants until you board. If you like Asian cuisine, make sure you try Tamarind on the Eurodam at least once, it is our favorite specialty restaurant on any cruise line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

These types of events are only available to sign up for after boarding the ship, and are not available to book via HAL's website in advance.

See response to #1.

Shore excursions typically become available ~6-9 mos out, so you have a few more months to go.

I tried to answer your questions (embedded in your post above), but others can add to (or correct) my responses.

49 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Krooznut covered your questions pretty well. A couple of other things to keep in mind. If you have any HAL issued OBC you cannot like other cruise lines use it to book shore excursions, spa services or specialty restaurants until you board. If you like Asian cuisine, make sure you try Tamarind on the Eurodam at least once, it is our favorite specialty restaurant on any cruise line.

Thank you both very much for your information (Yes, we love Asian cuisine).  I'm just trying to learn the HAL system.  Really excited to try another cruise line.

Also a new HAL cruiser. I tried searching for this info but no luck. How and when are boarding times assigned? Does HAL strictly adhere to the assigned boarding times?

Thanks for your help! I warn you in advance - I may have more question in the weeks to come.

Linda

• Like 1