New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@Grandmaanne7 I just had a thought, I understand it's not the same but what about a "Virgin Cocktail" like a Daquiri or other blended drink? There was a bit of a discussion about milkshakes a while back.

Yes, they certainly love their virgin Pina Coladas and chocolate monkeys. We'll make do, I suppose, but I did promise one especially all the milkshakes she wanted. They'll be delighted if they can get them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

And reading through that thread apparently they are included with HIA. I should have known as I posted in that thread.

Milkshakes were definitely included in the SBP on the Statendam in September/October. I had quite a few.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Can milkshakes be purchased/ordered anywhere else onboard, specifically Volendam?

You could maybe try faking one? Get a big glass (perhaps at the bar), put in some soft serve ice cream, add some milk from the coffee creamer area, and have the ice cream server squeeze in a dollop of syrup? 
Then, try to stir it as best you can? Maybe using a knife, as it's longer than a spoon? 

The ingredients for a chocolate shake are there. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You could maybe try faking one? Get a big glass (perhaps at the bar), put in some soft serve ice cream, add some milk from the coffee creamer area, and have the ice cream server squeeze in a dollop of syrup? 
Then, try to stir it as best you can? Maybe using a knife, as it's longer than a spoon? 

The ingredients for a chocolate shake are there. 

That's a good plan B. It's unfortunate, though, that for the amount paid for HIA, one has to go to these lengths when milkshakes are right there. 

I assume, from your suggestion, that there is self serve soft ice cream. The grand-kids will love that!

2 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

That's a good plan B. It's unfortunate, though, that for the amount paid for HIA, one has to go to these lengths when milkshakes are right there. 

I assume, from your suggestion, that there is self serve soft ice cream. The grand-kids will love that!

In my opinion, they should treat the children to many extras (even provide coupons to control the inventory)... Great way to get loyalty when they become adults.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Not self-serve; the kids will have to go to the ice cream station, in the Lido. 
Might as well have the server add the syrup on the same trip, then get the milk. 

This is something I figured out years ago, although I never tried it. 
It is only in recent years that any HAL ships offered milkshakes at all! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 2:24 PM, Grandmaanne7 said:

I'm just in shock! I had promised my granddaughter all the milkshakes she wants on our next cruise.

I just learned that the Dive In (burgers, dogs, and fries on the Lido Pool deck) has shakes that are included in the HIA/SBP!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

I just learned that the Dive In (burgers, dogs, and fries on the Lido Pool deck) has shakes that are included in the HIA/SBP!!!

Wonderful! Thank you! Where did you learn this information?

14 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Wonderful! Thank you! Where did you learn this information?

It came up in the live-review-koningsdam-feb-17-march-23-2024 thread. @canadianbear mentioned it. I remembered that somebody's Grandma had been lamenting no included shakes! Had to look for where!!!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@RuthC, that is an interesting solution to the milkshake dilemma. You are a resourceful woman.

Especially when it comes to a chocolate milkshake (chocolate anything, for that matter). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

This may vary from ship to ship and time to time, so don't count on it. Hope, fine. Count on it, no. 

When I was on the Nieuw Statendam I tried to order a milkshake at Dive-In and was sent a few steps away to Gelato. There was a charge. The Dive-n set-up didn't have any ice creams or any of the other fixings for a milkshake. 

• Like 3

I think I’ve learned on here that if you have OBC you can pre-purchase with credit card pay dining and excursions and then when onboard go to guest services and shore excursions desk respectively and swap the payment method from credit card to OBC. 

Can one pre-book the Thermal Spa access in the same way?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

I think I’ve learned on here that if you have OBC you can pre-purchase with credit card pay dining and excursions and then when onboard go to guest services and shore excursions desk respectively and swap the payment method from credit card to OBC. 

Can one pre-book the Thermal Spa access in the same way?

You are correct about moving excursions and dining from CC to OBC. I have never tried to do that w/Thermal Spa - hoping someone who has will let us know.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:49 PM, Grandmaanne7 said:

Can milkshakes be purchased/ordered anywhere else onboard, specifically Volendam?

Not sure about ordering onboard Volendam. My suggestion would be to do as we did for our Granddaughter. We pre-purchased a drink card in her name for the cruise. She received a very nice card, with her name on it, to use during the cruise, and it served as a great souvenir of the cruise.

9 hours ago, Trapper44 said:

Not sure about ordering onboard Volendam. My suggestion would be to do as we did for our Granddaughter. We pre-purchased a drink card in her name for the cruise. She received a very nice card, with her name on it, to use during the cruise, and it served as a great souvenir of the cruise.

Thanks for the suggestion. We already have the HIA package. Hoping it will serve us well. It sounds like it will.

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

Now that IS an important question. I’d much rather have a malt than a shake. 😋

DH is a malt drinker; says he's never tried to order one, but will next cruise if this group determines he can get one. 😉

• Like 1

It's usually always true that you don't know what you don't know. In my case, being a new HAL cruiser, I didn't know a lot of things. I still don't. LOL. These are some things that I'm unsure of and will appreciate input on:

1. For a cruise booked far in advance and not after final payment, can I add cruise insurance later on, before final payment, or do I need to do it when I book?

2. If I book with the HIA "fully refundable" pricing, what exactly does that mean? Deposit is fully refundable before final payment? 

3. If I book with the HIA "fully refundable" pricing, add club orange, and take the cabin upgrade how does that/does that affect the "fully refundable?" If I need to cancel before final payment, is the deposit still refundable (if it ever was) and is the club orange cost refundable?

4. Who can I contact to get a different cruise person (forget what it's called on HAL)? The one I was assigned is hard to work with and doesn't seem all that sure of what she's doing. Part of my confusion on things is due to her vagueness. I'd like to try a different agent and see if I can find one I can work with better.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you all can offer.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:24 PM, Grandmaanne7 said:

My apologies. I did not mean to blame you. I'm just in shock! I had promised my granddaughter all the milkshakes she wants on our next cruise. I'm flabbergasted and less impressed with HAL by the day!

Which pkg do you have? We had the HIA and just got off the NS in February and the milkshakes were included we got ours at the gelato station - gelato was extra though. 

On 3/11/2024 at 10:16 PM, crystalspin said:

This is correct. Except the milkshakes aren't at the Dive-in, they are right beside it at the Gelato station. The milkshakes are included with the HIA - I was just on the NS in February. However, gelato is an extra cost. But, every evening there was ice cream in the Lido. You will not go hungry or miss out on sweet treats. 

21 minutes ago, JeLy_Beanz said:

Which pkg do you have? We had the HIA and just got off the NS in February and the milkshakes were included we got ours at the gelato station - gelato was extra though. 

Thanks for this. Yes, we have the HIA package. I've been told that, on the Volendam, they are available at the Dive In and are included. I will have some very happy granddaughters!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

1. For a cruise booked far in advance and not after final payment, can I add cruise insurance later on, before final payment, or do I need to do it when I book?

You can add cancellation protection until penalties begin. Normally final payment, but some longer cruises the penalty starts earlier. Add the CCP before making the payment!

2. If I book with the HIA "fully refundable" pricing, what exactly does that mean? Deposit is fully refundable before final payment? 

Yes, refundable refers to the deposit. 

3. If I book with the HIA "fully refundable" pricing, add club orange, and take the cabin upgrade how does that/does that affect the "fully refundable?" If I need to cancel before final payment, is the deposit still refundable (if it ever was) and is the club orange cost refundable?

I don't know this one!!! Never bought CO.

4. Who can I contact to get a different cruise person (forget what it's called on HAL)? 

Call the PCC hotline (1800-355-3017) but don't key in your's extension. Stay on the menu until it offers a live person. Ask to speak to a supervisor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1