New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Kazu, this was booked last year when HAL was quoting $1999 for a Neptune and offering the Explore4 package. The TA told us the $1999 wasn't eligible for Explore4, that we had to pay a $2364 fare to qualify for it. That didn't surprise me as the HAL website said not all fares were eligible and the Explore4 perks came out to more than $365 p/p so we thought a good deal. Thought the taxes and port charges were high but was told over phone that The HAL website quote didn't include everything so didn't question until friends did same cruise recently and were charged lower amount. I then questioned again and was told price was higher because we were in a Neptune suite but then speaking to a HAL rep on phone they said that wasn't correct, that all passengers pay same amount no matter what cabin they are in. So now I'm wondering exactly what "tax" I'm being charged since I live in Oregon which doesn't have sales tax? The online TA I used is in MA for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There should be no sales tax by any rep anywhere in Canada or the U.S.

Ok, I am honestly perplexed. It could have been that this was a spot offer that disappeared, but I am now concerned.

Before you pay, call HAL and get a price. If Explore 4 is off, worth a look too as you may find it is better pricing.

If I am reading your post right, it sounds like you may be being charged more than you should be.

I would definitely check with HAL and you need more than the "standard" reservations rep.

If you are being overcharged, then I think you are within your rights to get some things fixed.

The problem is you are close to final payment. You might have to get the back up e's, pay and then pursue afterwards? Not sure.

My TA would break down taxes which included port fees, non commissionable fares, etc., but at the end it was no different in cost than what it was originally and that is what I wanted you to check. Sounds like you did and I am at a loss. I'd say someone was "massaging" the price. Does your TA have a phone? Accessible? Sometimes a lot can be straightened out in a nice conversation. Worth a shot, and, if it isn't, you can honestly say you tried.

I have honestly never booked if it was more than what was showing on the HAL website. It's usually less but more would be a HUGE red flag to me. But again, it's the bottom line I look at. ;)

Is your son travelling on the 3rd person free or reduced deal or did you pay regular price?

How many days is your cruise? That's important to evaluate it - I am guessing it is 7 days?

The price is for your DH and yourself at least, and possibly your DS.

Do you have the choice of room numbers or is it a guarantee upsell?

Thanks for the reply. So, I declined. We will be on the 7-day northbound cruise to Alaska. The upsell was still available (one room only, not choice)...but here is why I declined (BTW, my son would not be charged for the upsell):

*My husband felt the larger cabin was not worth it (I tend to disagree ;) )

*We decided to go for a few of the more expensive excursions and used the money for that

*If I never had gotten the upsell offer, I was just as happy about going to Alaska in the room we booked

*Do you know how much yarn you can purchase for $700 (yes, I am a knitter) :D

*and the clincher - our water heater just broke and needs replacing.

So, I declined. And I will be just as happy with the SS we have :)

Thanks for the reply. So, I declined. We will be on the 7-day northbound cruise to Alaska. The upsell was still available (one room only, not choice)...but here is why I declined (BTW, my son would not be charged for the upsell):

*My husband felt the larger cabin was not worth it (I tend to disagree ;) )

*We decided to go for a few of the more expensive excursions and used the money for that

*If I never had gotten the upsell offer, I was just as happy about going to Alaska in the room we booked

*Do you know how much yarn you can purchase for $700 (yes, I am a knitter) :D

*and the clincher - our water heater just broke and needs replacing.

So, I declined. And I will be just as happy with the SS we have :)

SS's are very nice and spacious. The Neptune would have given you a bit more room with 3 but you will be JUST fine where you are.

And I love the way you thought it out.

LOL on the yarn - I'm a knitter too - Have a great cruise.

I think you made a good decison for you and that is the MOST important thing. Have fun :)

I just did test bookings on both the HAL website and the TA website. The both quote the exact same fare ($3399) for the exact same stateroom and date. HAL lists additional fees of $212.56 while the TA lists additional fees of 424.12... which is still lower than the $448 I was charged. As a test I ran a booking on a different stateroom which is on the same deck as my suite (3 doors forward of the suite I'm in) that is priced within $15 of what I was charged for my suite, the TA is quoting an additional fee of $427.30 for that which is more than what they want for the suite but still less than they charged me for my suite. I have talked on phone and received email about this from TA, this is huge online cruising site, they say they are America's largest cruise agency and they did give us a big chunk of OBC but it looks like they then charged us an even larger amount in "taxes" so actually gave us nothing. .... Ah Hah!!! Just looked at my original hand written notes from several travel agencies from when I first booked. The amount quoted by this agency was NOT the $2364 that printed out on my final invoice so you nailed it, they fiddle with the numbers, the bottom lines came out within $50 of each other.

No experience with this but it seems, since my test bookings basically showed HAL and the travel agency charging exact same base fare, the route to go might be to book with HAL to get the lower "fees and taxes" and then to switch to the Travel agency to get the perks they might offer. It looks to me like I paid my own OBC up front by having to pay the larger "fees and taxes" the travel agency charged me.

I just did test bookings on both the HAL website and the TA website. The both quote the exact same fare ($3399) for the exact same stateroom and date. HAL lists additional fees of $212.56 while the TA lists additional fees of 424.12... which is still lower than the $448 I was charged. As a test I ran a booking on a different stateroom which is on the same deck as my suite (3 doors forward of the suite I'm in) that is priced within $15 of what I was charged for my suite, the TA is quoting an additional fee of $427.30 for that which is more than what they want for the suite but still less than they charged me for my suite. I have talked on phone and received email about this from TA, this is huge online cruising site, they say they are America's largest cruise agency and they did give us a big chunk of OBC but it looks like they then charged us an even larger amount in "taxes" so actually gave us nothing. .... Ah Hah!!! Just looked at my original hand written notes from several travel agencies from when I first booked. The amount quoted by this agency was NOT the $2364 that printed out on my final invoice so you nailed it, they fiddle with the numbers, the bottom lines came out within $50 of each other.

So, if I am reading this right, the bottom line is ok.

that's all that counts. Different TA's break it down differently. It's their accounting. It's the bottom line that counts ;)

The Neptune suites are wonderful but they are so large yout15 year old may not want to leave the room. We like 3rd or 4th floor midship outsidr rooms best

We have cruised 27 times. Just got back from 80 days of cruising round the world 4 eeeks on Hal. 6 weeks on QM2 NEVER AGAIN ON QM2.

Dutchiegirl:

You'll find a great group of knitters both women and men on the ship. Usually to my findings one is a crew member. It's ordinarily a 2 hour free knit and chat session. The nurse last year on the Zaandam was a beautiful knitter and finished a very complicated sweater while on the cruise. Also, watercolor and craft classes are available but at a cost of $5. per project for crafts and about $35.00 per cruise for watercolor classes. On a long cruise they can be fun on port days.

You can get a copy of your onboard account statement any time, from the Front Desk (or from the Neptune Concierge if you are in a NS or PS).

If you want to minimize what you owe when you leave the ship, you can buy onboard credits in advance through the HAL website.

You can also access the ship's free website to check your account, order excursions, check itinerary, and more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dutchiegirl:

You'll find a great group of knitters both women and men on the ship. Usually to my findings one is a crew member. It's ordinarily a 2 hour free knit and chat session. The nurse last year on the Zaandam was a beautiful knitter and finished a very complicated sweater while on the cruise. Also, watercolor and craft classes are available but at a cost of $5. per project for crafts and about $35.00 per cruise for watercolor classes. On a long cruise they can be fun on port days.

Just a word of warning. The knitting session (sit and stitch, knitter and knatters, etc.) may no longer be listed in the When and Where (formerly On Location) aka the daily programme or be hosted. It wasn't on our last long cruise (April, 2017). No big deal really. Our roll call formed their own little group. You will most likely find other like minded people doing the same thing.

Dutchiegirl:

Looking forward to it.

Just a word of warning. The knitting session (sit and stitch, knitter and knatters, etc.) may no longer be listed in the When and Where (formerly On Location) aka the daily programme or be hosted. It wasn't on our last long cruise (April, 2017). No big deal really. Our roll call formed their own little group. You will most likely find other like minded people doing the same thing.

Thanks for the tip. I will post something on my rollcall.

I read somewhere that there will be a health firm we need to fill out at the time of embarking. What are typical questions? My son of course came down with a cold this weekend and he usually has a long lingering cough. Is there a chance we will get declared Ned boarding?

I read somewhere that there will be a health firm we need to fill out at the time of embarking. What are typical questions? My son of course came down with a cold this weekend and he usually has a long lingering cough. Is there a chance we will get declared Ned boarding?

Coughing is one of the health questions but I think it states in the "past three days".

It is up to you what you put on the form but I think they only want to know about very recent illness symptoms.

Coughing is one of the health questions but I think it states in the "past three days".

It is up to you what you put on the form but I think they only want to know about very recent illness symptoms.

So what happens if you still have a cold? Do they not let you board?

So what happens if you still have a cold? Do they not let you board?

If the symptoms are of concern, they will have your party sit off to the side, and the ship's nurse will come and talk to you to make an evaluation. She will give advice as to treatment, and except in the most extreme of circumstances will give the clearance to board.

Since this is just a cold, don't worry about it.

Let's talk about these OBC's...........

I keep seeing folks talking about OBC's. Why is there such a variance in the amount received? Is it who you booked with, Mariner Status?

If they are all HAL generated: special deals/sales - including double amounts for booking while on board; your cruise has been cancelled [chartered, itinerary change, ship redeployment (I got quite a bit on one cruise - because twice - each ship I booked got chartered)].

I've heard of TAs giving back money in way of OBCs - though it's never happened to me.

Let's talk about these OBC's...........

I keep seeing folks talking about OBC's. Why is there such a variance in the amount received? Is it who you booked with, Mariner Status?

HAL has sales and promotions that include OBC, plus you get some when you purchase a Future Cruise Deposit while on a cruise, and also if you book another cruise while on a cruise. Even if you have one already booked and one of the promotions has OBC, you can often get that added to your booking. I have done that several times.

Then there is OBC from your travel agent - not all offer it, but those that do are quite generous. Even the big box store has a travel dept that states right up front how much OBC they offer. It can be quite substantial. On my last cruise, with a combination of HAL promos and my TA's, I started off with about $1100 OBC, all of which was refundable. I walked off at the end of the cruise with a healthy credit to my credit card.