Sunday Services

AlohaPride

Our cruise in leaving this Sunday. I was wondering if the priest on board will be saying Mass Sunday afternoon/evening the day of embarkation or if we need to find a church to attend on Saturday. Our shuttle is picking us up at 10:45, so Sunday morning Mass is not possible.

Also, if we do have to attend a Mass on Saturday evening, are there any recommendations for a Catholic Church in Seattle or near the Air Port?

every cruise I have been on, Mass is offered daily. I really don't think there should be any issue. I don't remember it ever missing on embarkation day.

This is one place where HAL shines, and in the other services.

Hello Aloha Pride --

Mass is usually offered at 5 pm, but always check the daily schedule. Father also offers a Mass for the crew at a different time, as I recall in early evening, tho not sure now. You can find out the time at the Info Desk, and you will definitely be welcome to attend. When at sea Father might have Sunday Mass at 8 a.m., this schedule really seems to vary -- probably from ship to ship. At any rate you will have your chance at least twice a day. See you on the Amsterdam in five more days. Also Happy Anniversary!!!

Marianne

The one Sunday we departed out of Fort Lauderdale there was no 5 PM Mass. We ended up attending a Mass for the crew a bit later in the evening and were the only "passengers" there.

I think it really varies by ship, so check it further. I assume you are on an Alaska cruise - if so, search the Alaska board and see if you can find someone who has posted the daily newsletter for your ship/cruise. If there is a Mass, it will be posted there.

DaveOKC

Hi Mary,

I just checked the "On Location" from our June 22nd trip and Mass was at 5:00 PM in the Wajang Theater on embarcation day.

I know you are doing the Meet and Greet. One thing I did was send a note to the photography people and ask for a photographer to attend. Vladimir attended ours and did a great job of getting a group photo. He had to take a couple and stitch them together since we were a big group! :)

Karen

Our cruise in leaving this Sunday. I was wondering if the priest on board will be saying Mass Sunday afternoon/evening the day of embarkation or if we need to find a church to attend on Saturday. Our shuttle is picking us up at 10:45, so Sunday morning Mass is not possible.

Also, if we do have to attend a Mass on Saturday evening, are there any recommendations for a Catholic Church in Seattle or near the Air Port?

Last June we sailed HAL from Seattle. We stayed at the Inn at Virginia Mason pre-cruise (very reasonable) in easy walking distance from St. James Cathedral - on First Hill. We attended Saturday afternoon mass there - and again the following Sunday afternoon as we spent post cruise night in Seattle as well (flying to east coast means necessary early flight from Seattle). Footnote: they announced gluten-free wafers for Eucharist, something I had not seen before.

The usual schedule for Catholic Mass on HAL ships is 5:00 p.m. on port days and 8:00 a.m. on sea days. There should be a 5:00 p.m. Mass on departure day. Check the daily program as soon as you board. We have done over 20 cruises with HAL and there has always been a Catholic priest on board; however, we did have one cruise where the priest missed his flight to the departure port and didn't arrive until several days into the cruise. On our last cruise, the priest was quarantined for the first two days and didn't say Mass until the third day of the cruise.

There is an app called "The Catholic Directory" which lists "nearby churches" using GPS. We have found it to be very helpful when traveling. You can also go to http://www.masstimes.org on the Web to look up local churches by zip code. If you want to be certain to attend Mass on the weekend of your 10th anniversary, I suggest you find a local church in Seattle.

Also, after you board, ask the priest if he will do a vow renewal ceremony for you while on board. We had this done for our 25th wedding anniversary along with several other couples. It was beautiful.

Also, after you board, ask the priest if he will do a vow renewal ceremony for you while on board. We had this done for our 25th wedding anniversary along with several other couples. It was beautiful.

I agree that the Vow Renewal ceremony is a great idea, however it is performed by the Captain, not the priest.

DaveOKC

I agree that the Vow Renewal ceremony is a great idea, however it is performed by the Captain, not the priest.

DaveOKC

Our 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal ceremony on HAL was performed by the priest on board for any couple wishing to have their vows renewed by a Catholic priest. On most of the cruises that I have done with HAL, the Catholic priest will ask the Mass attendees if any want to have a Vow Renewal ceremony performed. It is usually done after one of the Masses. The Captain also performs a Vow Renewal ceremony that is arranged through HAL.

Mary, please know that you and Keaka are in my prayers as you celebrate your anniversary! I only wish I could be there to enjoy the cruise-celebration with you!

God bless you both, now and always.

Thank you, Greg. That's very kind and greatly appreciated. Still bummed you weren't able to book, but excited your new parish is such a great fit for you.

Hello Aloha Pride --

Mass is usually offered at 5 pm, but always check the daily schedule. Father also offers a Mass for the crew at a different time, as I recall in early evening, tho not sure now. You can find out the time at the Info Desk, and you will definitely be welcome to attend. When at sea Father might have Sunday Mass at 8 a.m., this schedule really seems to vary -- probably from ship to ship. At any rate you will have your chance at least twice a day. See you on the Amsterdam in five more days. Also Happy Anniversary!!!

Marianne

The crew Mass is at 11:15 on Sunday night. The Mass for the pax is at 5:00PM on disembarkation day.

Mary we have always had mass on embarkation and every day after that. I love meeting the different Priest from all over; many have such wonderful stories to tell. My favorite is the Priest from Africa that told us of the hippo that charged the people waiting to go in before Easter Vigil. No one was hurt, and the Priest said that he was able to use that story to demonstrate faith. You are going to have a wonderful time. I just wish that we were there to sail with you.