How is sailing from NY October/November

letsgocruisin

Considering sailing October/November from New York to Florida/Bahamas. I usually sail in the summer and want to hear about your experiences as far as the seas? I know it is cooler not expecting pool days the first few days we are more concerned abou rougher seas since we will most likely be in a guarantee and not a fan of higher decks or front of the ship.

I understand Mother Nature has her own mind but just trying to get an idea of any differences.

Thanks!

Sailing early October. Would love to hear feedback. I did sail late sept/oct before but it was 10 years ago. I don't remember any problems with rough water. But I would also say that every year is probably different e.g. Hurricanes.

We've sailed several times in Oct.-Nov. from NY. Weather has been good.A few times unseasonably warm other times

cool sweater weather. I don't recall rough seas when we sailed mid-Oct. to beginning of Nov. Thanksgiving time seas were a little choppier .

I have sailed twice in November. In 2011, we sailed from NYC and, last year, we sailed from Boston. In 2011, we had a very rough cruise. A tropical storm had chewed up the Caribbean and the seas were so rough, we missed Great Stirrup Cay and the surf was very harsh in Nassau. Motion sickness bags were everywhere on the ship. However, last year, out of Boston, the exact opposite happened. We had an absolutely beautiful trip down to St. Thomas and didn't see choppy seas until the last part of our cruise in the Gulf of Mexico. I guess you just never know.

We sailed on the CCL Pride (Baltimore) in October without a problem but the cruise after us had their itinerary changed because of Hurricane Sandy and the cruise after that was cancelled because of Sandy. The temps definitely improved once we passed the Carolinas. Really depends on Mother Nature.

Well lets see. In 2012 sandy blew through and caused havoc in late October

In 1999 Floyd blew in causing a great deal of damage in mid September.

Oh yes and Gloria in 1985

I probably missed some but seriously other than the rare hurricaine NYC weather is glorious that time of year so go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dear letsgocruisin,

Departing from NJ/NYC in those months is as taking the Redline tube with your Charlie Card to the Arnold.. , Zoo etc...eh..

WX ( Weather) is depending on the current conditions.

The ships usually go down on what is called the shelf. If they have to go in deeper water there is sometimes much more churn.

Think of it as learning to ride a horse or getting better sealegs..:cool:

When youall do go stay in NJ as you the same benefits as in town but sometimes 80% less of the costs..

May your voyage be well with not many swells and the breeze at you backs GBY < ><~~

Considering sailing October/November from New York to Florida/Bahamas. I usually sail in the summer and want to hear about your experiences as far as the seas? I know it is cooler not expecting pool days the first few days we are more concerned abou rougher seas since we will most likely be in a guarantee and not a fan of higher decks or front of the ship.

I understand Mother Nature has her own mind but just trying to get an idea of any differences.

Thanks!

.....in December of 2012, we cruised out of NY on the Carnival Miracle going to Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport. I would never do that again. That time of year you can't get far enough south and return in 7 days to get some warm water to go in.

I will be sailing out of Florida instead.

:)

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

You never know. We have sailed out of New York at all times of the year and have always experienced good seas. However, we have heard horror stories several times about extremely rough seas the week before and after we cruised.

We always sail from October through May out of NY and NJ. We did have some rough seas on occasion but we also had them in the Caribbean in the summer.. It just depends on where the storms are… Keep in mind if you leave NY/NJ the following morning right after breakfast you will be off the coast of North Carolina so sometimes by 10-11 AM were sitting outside in the sun, even in the winter..

Thanks everyone! I guess I really knew the answer it seems as as though it doesn't matter what month you leave. We sailed in the summer smooth as glass and other times very rough. Great to hear all the input I guess any time you sail you just really gamble with the seas and weather.

Happy sailing everyone!

The weather gods can be cruel or kind. I sailed in November "2011" on the "Gem ~~nothing but beautiful weather to the Bahamas and back~~we even got to stop at her island~~GSC! Last October~~went on the Breakaway to Bermuda and nothing but great weather~~it was hot actually in Bermuda and this year going on the Gem for 11 days on October 27th to the Caribbean to five islands! As you can see~~I love to cruise~~this will be my sixth! May the good weather be with me!

I can't talk about what the seas will be like but I do know

that NYC at that time of year is when the weather turns very cold.

Combine that with being on the water I would take warm clothing for the first day out and then returning the last day.

In October, 2012 we had great weather for sailing to Florida but because of Hurricane Sandy it was very rough coming home. Here's a link to a time lapse of our sail away, it took about 40-50 minutes to get past the Verrazano.

Maybe it depends on where you are but I would not classify Oct- November as " when it turns very cold". Many years, we have warm weather ( even some days still in the z60s and 70s) straight through November. Cold is typically reserved for December- mid- March here. That being said, you could get anything in November- it could be balmy or it could be chilly. Generally, chances for rougher seas are greater in October because it is still technically hurricane season. However, most hurricane activity happens in August- Sept so it isn't like it is very likely.

Last year, I had a formal event to attend on my birthday (October 5th AKA my sail away date this year). I remember the day before being in the 90s and me trying to get some sun on my shoulders for the strapless dress I was wearing the next day! Lol I'm hoping the weather is going to be the same this year!!