Fencing classes on Queen Victoria

mattswiss

The classes are at 9am on sea days I think - definitely before I wake up!

There was one day when we left a port around midday and a fencing class was scheduled for 2pm so I went along. I really enjoyed it.

If you are an early riser, then definitely go along.

I always wanted to learn how to fence. Has anybody done that and if so, when were the classes. Morning, mid-afternoon?

Will be on a transatlantic in April and have a lot of time to spare..lol

Hi mattswiss. Since you always wanted to learn to fence, don't wait! There are plenty of fencing lessons available where you live. No doubt by the time you board QV next April you'll be ready for advanced lessons.:)

Edited by Salacia

My experience was that everyone was a beginner. I was out of place coming in halfway through the course. I was told that they had spent about 2 sessions just learning how to use their feet and track each other. Luckily my dancing skills paid off on that one and I could outdance the 'experienced' men on my first try. However, once I got the foil in my hand I didn't know what to do with it!

My recommendation would be to use the cruise as your taster experience and if you like it, go for lessons elsewhere. After my one and only lesson I spoke to someone who was an experienced fencer and he had just been watching.

I may be wrong, but I think it's a one-size-fits-all lesson, rather than opportunity for advanced fencers to pick up tips.

So, as is usual on internet and CC threads, you have opposing points of view and you can choose which one suits you. :D

We just came back from QV in July.

Fencing lessons (strictly beginners) was on sea days around 09.00 and lasted for an hour, give or take a few minutes.

Instructor was (according to my wife) gorgeous and sexy Scottish guy.

first 2 lessons - as others mentioned - were foot work and "air fencing".

Then you got kitted out with vests and helments and got the foils.

It all looked like rather good fun.

Lisa gave the teacher a good run for his money in some of the "fights" later in the course. Obviously he is not used to participants under the age of 40. :-)

They definately prefer that the people who show up for the first class, continue for the entire "course".

People who come half way thru are a bit out of place and hold up everyone else.

Go for it! My wife is signing up for classes with our Royal guard here in Oman....

Are there fencing classes on the QM2?

Foil Fencing Classes

Fencing classes are run on Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2. There are no costs involved to take part in the classes, which run over two days with each class lasting an hour. The second class can only be taken if the first class has been completed.

No prior experience is required and all required safety equipment is provided. No one under the age of 18 is allowed to take part for health and safety reasons.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/Onboard_Activities

Foil Fencing Classes

Fencing classes are run on Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2. There are no costs involved to take part in the classes, which run over two days with each class lasting an hour. The second class can only be taken if the first class has been completed.

No prior experience is required and all required safety equipment is provided. No one under the age of 18 is allowed to take part for health and safety reasons.

Ray, thanks for that info. I haven't seen fencing classes mentioned in the Daily Programme whenever I've been on board QM2. Are the lessons only offered on certain voyages? Thanks, S.

Foil Fencing Classes

Hope you're right. The way the world is going it might be handy to know how to use a sword ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
I always wanted to learn how to fence. Has anybody done that and if so, when were the classes. Morning, mid-afternoon?

Will be on a transatlantic in April and have a lot of time to spare..lol

I dont think the QV is on the Atlantic in April. From my calculations we will still be on the World Cruise. But I intend on having a go myself, does look a whole heap of fun and as someone suggested, it may come in handy the way the world is going.....

I dont think the QV is on the Atlantic in April. From my calculations we will still be on the World Cruise. But I intend on having a go myself, does look a whole heap of fun and as someone suggested, it may come in handy the way the world is going.....

The original question referred to April 2015 !

i have a question on my own, does any solo cruiser who cruised on victoria had been able to participate in the fencing lesson? since it required a fencing partner, i reckon it might pose problem for a solo traveller

No problem for solos. My cabinmate did not join me. The instructor paired us off. Best to find someone whose skill and interest level matches yours. One day I was paired with someone who did not want to follow the instructor's instructions... I avoided her thereafter.

My wife and I recently sailed the Los Angeles / Sydney segment of Queen Victoria’s 2015 World Cruise. This was our first sailing on Cunard and our longest (21 days) voyage to date.

One among the many onboard activities offered, and (I think) unique to Cunard, were classes in introduction to fencing. I participated in most of the classes offered on the segment and wanted to share a little bit about the experience.

Classes were held every sea day (14 of the 21 days in this WC segment. The 9 am class start time was a bit daunting to those of us who generally danced in the Queens Room until midnight, it was, however well worth the effort.

1_zpsxyulttka.jpg

En garde - a call to the fencers by the director of a match to assume the prescribed position preparatory to action.

For the first several classes we had about 24 of us in a single group. These classes focused on body position and footwork. The basic en garde stance is very similar to 5th position in dance except with a somewhat wider stance. Not keeping your elbow in close to the body in the en garde position was a common flaw – including mine. Most everyone in the class boarded in LA so we were novices at this learning together at the same pace.

Photo below: Prudently, for the first couple of classes the most lethal weapon they let us have was an index finger.

2_zps4mnznpia.jpg

Photos below: We put our fingers to (non-lethal) effect with the lunge.

3_zpsgnhwe8yb.jpg

4_zpsth3endqs.jpg

5_zps0kpns5uq.jpg

Advance -- The ‘advance’ is the basic forward movement.

We advance, albeit very slowly, as we sail between San Francisco and Honolulu. With the basics down cold and our lethal forefingers at the ready we get serious and suit up like real fencers. At this point the class is split up into two groups “A” and “B”. The division of the groups appeared to be based more on where you were standing on the floor rather than skill level. The limited number of fencing outfits available necessitated this division into smaller groups. For the remainder of this WC segment group “A” and “B” met on alternate sea days.

The equipment supplied by QV is very high quality used in competition. The entire kit included the foil, glove, jacket and helmet/faceguard. We were assured that the jackets were laundered after each class – an important consideration because the getup with helmet is very hot and consequently sweaty.

Photo below: The jackets zip from the back and require a bit of cooperation from your classmates to “suit up”.

6_zpsnqn4nxcc.jpg

7_zpsg5nrwevl.jpg

Photo below: We are schooled in the details of the sport including proper hand position on the foil.

8_zpstt5yaekk.jpg

Photo below: The helmet/faceguard is heavy and hot, but very welcome when actually facing the blade of the foil.

9_zpsuj8xzkn2.jpg

Now that we’re suited up we work on basic foot work, simple attacks (lunge) and even simpler defense (parry). While you wouldn’t think that taking a step or two forward or back is all that hard work but it is. The moves are deceptively simple – stand, step forward, step back – but very difficult to master with speed and precision.

Photo below: We pair up and work on basic attack and defense.

10_zpsss36u5qo.jpg

Photos below: The classes are held in the Queens Room which provides plenty of space and a great surface. (Talking to DJ Marc at lunch one afternoon, he explained that both the Queens Room and Hemispheres floors were completely refinished during the January refit. They were both very smooth and the right balance between sticky and slippery. Perfect for fencing or dancing.)

11_zpsqnkcxvlx.jpg

12_zpsllwzbr4t.jpg

Our Instructor: David Pierson of the Queen Victoria Entertainment staff was the instructor for all of the classes. He was outstanding; very personable and professional. Safety was emphasized and enforced, but in a low key sort of way. David found the balance between being too simplistic /repetitious and moving too fast for the class to process and learn the new moves. Time was taken to assess, correct and encourage each participant. While there was an obvious disparity in skill levels across the class, his goal was to get each person as good as they could get.

13_zpsqhbpey4h.jpg

14_zpszpqjxjg8.jpg

Summary: Overall, fencing classes on the Queen Victoria were a fun and interesting experience. The level and quality of the instruction was outstanding. And while I did not particularly care for the head-to-head competition, the opportunity to learn a skill/sport far outside of normal life was one of the greatest aspects of the voyage.

15_zpsiswgkclp.jpg