Can you change the credit card for on-board charges at check-in?

warmwinds

Have already done on-line check-in/express pass. Just got notified our credit card had some fraudulent charges, so they are closing that account and issuing us a new card/number.

It will essentially be the same account, just a new number.

Two weeks before sailing.

Will we be able to change out the number on board when we check in, or do we have to do it in advance? How? What number do we call that someone might have a clue how to do that?

Thanks!

Have already done on-line check-in/express pass. Just got notified our credit card had some fraudulent charges, so they are closing that account and issuing us a new card/number.

It will essentially be the same account, just a new number.

Will we be able to change out the number on board when we check in, or do we have to do it in advance? How? What number do we call that someone might have a clue how to do that?

Thanks!

You can change it on line or when you check in. We did it at checkin no problem.

I have always been asked what card I want to use and even if it was the one I designated before I had to produce it for them to register and then sign who is authorized to use it. They also have to be careful because there is too much fraud, people change card, cards change, and dates expire.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Greetings

The card you present at check-in is the one that will be used for your charges. They will "swipe" this card and validate it upon check-in. You must present a card at check-in even if it is the same one you used for the Express Pass.

Good Sailing

Tom

Ok, I'll follow up after a couple of days on board. Thanks for the advice.

I'm just glad this happened (if you can be "glad" about cc fraud) before we left rather than in the middle of the trip! I'd be one of those they'd be paging on the last morning, lol.

Yes you can... And very convenient for Canadians who carry cards in BOTH Cdn & US Currencies*

We book our cruise using our Cdn Card which makes it easy for us to transfer our Cruise to a local TA

Once onboard, the Ship Currency is in $ US... So we use our US Card for that portion.

* Explanation - Cdns travel to & do business with the USA a lot, so Cdn Banks issue Credit Cards in either Currency (same thing with Bank Accounts). This gets around the issue of Credit Cards not being usually issued to those from foreign countries. It truly is a sweet thing.

Cheers!

....Will we be able to change out the number on board when we check in, or do we have to do it in advance? How? What number do we call that someone might have a clue how to do that?
We have done it both ways, often using the same card we originally specified when doing on-line check in, but sometimes we use a different card.

Either way, they just swiped whichever card we presented to them when we checked in at the port and that was the card they used for our shipboard account.

There was no number to call and nothing else that we needed to do.

Since they use whichever card we present when checking in at the port, we wonder why they even bother to ask for the last 4 digits in the first place.

I'm just glad this happened (if you can be "glad" about cc fraud) before we left rather than in the middle of the trip! I'd be one of those they'd be paging on the last morning, lol.
This is the reason for bringing along more than one credit card, one to use and the others to leave locked up in the safe.

If there should be a problem with fraud, theft or loss in the middle of the trip, you just call to cancel that card and you still have the others available to use.

This is the reason for bringing along more than one credit card, one to use and the others to leave locked up in the safe.

If there should be a problem with fraud, theft or loss in the middle of the trip, you just call to cancel that card and you still have the others available to use.

Good point.

To OP Btw. We always change the card we use when at checkin. I use one to book trip, and a different one once get onboard.

I think this was really a blessing in disguise, because I think I will switch cards. The one I was originally signed on to use has no foreign transaction fees, but I think we'll save that one for on-shore/port purchases for that reason.

And then we'll use a different one to pay on the ship because that's all calculated in US currency no matter where you sail, correct?

When we travel we always split up our credit cards - my husband carries a couple and I carry some different ones, so in case one of us has our wallet stolen it's not a disaster, so good advice for anyone reading this.

We received an email on the first day of a 28-day cruise - our card was being cancelled in ten days time. In that we were in Europe, I emailed our bank and said 'no, please don't cancel'. The response, the issuing company is cancelling and nothing we can do; however, we'll mail it to you (to where????).

Had a trusted neighbor (also our TA) open our mail, activate the new card and email us the new number, expiration date and the back of the card info.

Fortunately we were able to use the new information I'd hand written and taped over onto the old card information.

I also switched cards at one check in; there was a long wait with lots of new paperwork to complete due to the change. From now on, I will update the website with my credit card of choice even if only a few days before sailing. I recommend having your information up to date before check in; however, yes, you can switch cards at check in should that be your preference.

It was the one and only time I changed cards. The gal at check-in asked for (?) card and I said, no, this one. She pulled out paperwork, filled in whatever, I had to sign for the change and hand over the 'new' card for processing. Only added a few minutes to processing; however, I now update credit card info online to avoid the delay.

Don't know why the extra paperwork as I have had to hand over the card even if it matches the on-line information.

Edited by happicruzer

It will essentially be the same account, just a new number

Thanks!

Yes, you can give Celebrity a new credit card upon checking in. I am assuming you have already printed your X Pass. If so, just go back into your on line account, go to Checking in and give Celebrity your new credit card number and print a new X-Pass. We have had this happen to us in the past and this what we did. Enjoy your cruise!

I went down to guest relations half way through the cruise and gave them a right head ache by adding a pre paid USD card add paying off a chunk of my bill with that, whilst maintaining the existing card.

They were great about it, and very flexble about payments. My only tip in going to the desk would be to pick a time when they are likely less busy as it can take 10 minutes to more to sort out.