New MAGIC Bands are coming to RCCL

skyking

We did a disney trip in March and had the magic bands. I loved them and thought they would be great as a sea pass replacement. However I think charging people for them is a bad idea. That is not how you get people to embrace new technology / ideas.

1. Why don't you like being tracked via RFID? They can track you via face recognition through the cameras. What's the difference? Isn't the ability to reduce wait times and improve traffic flow, worth a little extra tracking?

2. Or, you could just take the bracelets off before taking pictures. Or, you could edit the pictures.

3. What would prevent you from keeping it in your pocket, just like you did with the SeaPass?

The only people I know who are electronically tagged are criminals or defendants awaiting trial??

A deal breaker for me.

Annie

The more "innovation" that comes out on QoS makes me less and less likely to ever try the class. I hope they don't Quanumfy the fleet like they did after oasis class. At least those were improvements and not gimmicks.

I feel exactly the same way.

The only people I know who are electronically tagged are criminals or defendants awaiting trial??

A deal breaker for me.

Annie

For me too.

Edited by DonnaK

Ten years from now we will hear, " Remember when you had to carry a card?"

I guess I'm getting old and resistant to change. It will leave great tan lines. At the All Inclusive we go to the bracelets have to be worn constantly and they are quite strict. It is sad to have them cut off at the end of the vacation.

I have come to love the magic band, having been to Disney 4 times since beta testing. As far as "tracking" me goes, I have a car with gps, cell phone with GPS and an ez pass for tolls with RFID; we are tracked all over the place. On a cruise ship, or at Wdw for that matter, the data is not used so that they know when John Doe is in the bathroom, it is used for knowing what is popular in terms of venues, dining, etc., in terms of crowds, etc. In terms of safety, if, heaven forbid, someone went missing, I would hope they could use the data to locate them! This is the way of the future, we need to embrace it, lest we be left behind.

It seems that the debate on whether or not to wear the wristbands seems to be similar to the debate on whether or not to wear your seapass card on a lanyard.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the two.

Are those that currently using a lanyard more accepting of the idea of he wristband?

MagicBands started out as optional at Disney. Then they did away with the Key To The World Card altogether. Now you have to have MagicBands. How long will the bands be optional at Royal?

You don't HAVE to use MagicBands at Walt Disney World. You can actually ask for an RFID equipped card to use instead. The cards do not contain an active radio like the MagicBands do so they can't be tracked with long range scanners.

I really like the idea of a wristband, I hate keeping up with the card all the time.

I am not much of a fan of wearing stuff on my wrists normally but given the choice between wearing something or keeping up with the card I choose wear the wristband.

It seems that the debate on whether or not to wear the wristbands seems to be similar to the debate on whether or not to wear your seapass card on a lanyard.

It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the two.

Are those that currently using a lanyard more accepting of the idea of he wristband?

I currently use a lanyard to hold my seapass card and I would definitely use a wrist band if it was available. I'm not sure if I would pay any kind of fee - if they really want people to start using them, they need to be free.

I hope that there is still the option of having sea pass card instead of the RFID bracelet that was announced at the reveal today.

1. I do not like the idea of being tracked throughout the ship because I am wearing an RFID tag.

2. My wife mentioned now if we decide to purchase pictures we have to look and see if an awful bracelet is in the picture.

3. Most important to me is I cannot stand having something around my wrist and will not even wear a watch for an hour. How can I be comfortable for a week if I have to wear a bracelet.

I hope this is only an option and not required...

Thoughts?

Your Sea Pass card contains an RFID chip already.

It's just taking it from your card and putting around your wrist similar to what Disney has done with their magic bands.

Your Sea Pass card contains an RFID chip already.

It's just taking it from your card and putting around your wrist similar to what Disney has done with their magic bands.

You sure about SeaPass already containing RFID? I have never seen any type of RFID read performed on a SeaPass card. All interactions I've ever seen has been via the magnetic stripe on the card.

As for Disney, they actually use 2 different types of RFID:

A. Passive short range RFID. This is what they use for almost everything. Both MagicBands and standard park tickets have this passive(unpowered) radio. In order for this radio to work, the card or MagicBand has to be touching or in extremely close proximity to the reader. The reader produces a magnetic field which induces a current in the unpowered radio. The radio then transmits its ID to the reader.

B. Active long range RFID. This type of radio is only found in MagicBands and is in addition to the passive radio it contains. A watch type battery (unreplaceable) embedded in the band is constantly powering a radio which transmits the band's ID. This can be read from 100+ feet away. Right now it is used for very little. Eventually they want to use it to personalize how rides interact with you and things like that.

When people worry about being tracked with RFID, it is the active long range type they are worried about. It isn't clear if the WOWband will contain both a passive and active radio like MagicBands, or if they will just use passive RFID which needs to touch a reader to be read.

With all the wealth of info I still want to know HOW THEY TRACKING MY SLOTS:(

I'm not keeping my wrist up to the machine:confused:

I would imagine they would use a "tap on" / "tap off" method where you tap your band/card against the RFID reader on the machine when you start playing. When you are done, tap your band/card again to "log off".

I would imagine they would use a "tap on" / "tap off" method where you tap your band/card against the RFID reader on the machine when you start playing. When you are done, tap your band/card again to "log off".

So I need to remember to "forget" to tap off and hope the next player doesn't tap on ;)

The more "innovation" that comes out on QoS makes me less and less likely to ever try the class. I hope the don't Quanumfy the fleet like they did after oasis class. At least those were improvements and not gimmicks.

Agreed!

A deal breaker for me.

Annie

So you don't have a mobile phone? They be watching, always watching, sometimes listening too! lol :eek: