New MAGIC Bands are coming to RCCL

skyking

Maybe I'm in the minority but I have no issue with this. Disney has been doing this for awhile and I think it's so much easier. I would much rather wear a bracelet than have to worry about where my sea pass card is all the time.

This. I've used them on two recent Disney trips and I loved them. I wore them in the pool and shower with no issue. I opened my door and paid for food and souvenirs. I loved not having to dig in a wallet for the card.

Are you serious? We used them at Disney to access our resort room, get in the parks, and use meal credits. We didn't make purchases with ours, but they were protected with pin numbers so no one could charge something should they come to have one that didn't belong to them. I wonder if it would make the lines go more quickly to get on and off the ship as opposed to having to stick the card in. I hope they still will ding when you get on board. I will miss the ding.

Great idea. We had one last year at Disney World and it was super convenient. I know some people will freak out over being "chip", but it's on the ship so how bad can it be? Besides you can always take it off or get a card if you don't want the band. We were at a convention at DW so I took mine off several times at functions and just stuck it in my pocket. I can see it being really great for kids and not losing their card. It's great when going to your room and not having to fumble for a card.

I also doubt they can track your movements as the one at DW had to be placed directly on the reader to be read. So reading from a distance like walking down a hallway won't work. Besides with a ship of 6000 whose going to want to waste time doing that?

I also doubt they can track your movements as the one at DW had to be placed directly on the reader to be read. So reading from a distance like walking down a hallway won't work. Besides with a ship of 6000 whose going to want to waste time doing that?

As I mentioned in another post, Disney's MagicBand has 2 radios inside. The one used most often is a passive one which must be held up to the scanner to be energized to transmit. However, at all times there is also an active, powered radio which they can read from 100+ feet away.

As I mentioned in another post, Disney's MagicBand has 2 radios inside. The one used most often is a passive one which must be held up to the scanner to be energized to transmit. However, at all times there is also an active, powered radio which they can read from 100+ feet away.

I don't care if they know where I'm at on the ship, especially if there' s an emergency.

I wonder if they will be personalized with our names like the Disney ones. I hope it's true because I never know what to do about carrying my card around on the ship. I don't carry a purse onboard.

Edited by Cheryl H

As I stated in the thread about robot bartenders, maybe they should try designing a website and reservation system that works before moving into all these gimmicks:rolleyes:

YEP!!! RCL need to spend money and time on fixing what is used by all of us first.

Sea Pass Card

I do not want to wear a wristband. Especially when in bed sleeping.

Currently the soda cups with the soda package contain a RFID chip for the Coke Freestyle machines. It would be great if you could use your SeaPass card or crappy wristband to active the Coke Freestyle and use a clean glass at Windjammer or Sorrentos instead of reusing the same dirty cup with the chip.

I wear a watch on one wrist only. Don't want wristbands on BOTH wrists. They should have designed the wristband to also be a wristwatch, a display with a clock that shows the SHIP's Time. Especially for ships with time zone changes (regardless if the ship time changes with the local time zone in port). If All Aboard is 6:30PM for a ship from Florida docked in Cozumel where the local time is 5:00PM (6:00PM EST) and the watch says 6:00PM, then you know you better get back to the ship ASAP. If the ship time was 5:00PM for this example, the time on the watch would have automatically changed at the time listed in the Cruise Compass.

This is where the long range RFID could come into play. For those running late back to the ship, the crew and port officials could use the RFID scanners to see if anyone is in the port area (still trying to get through security, etc.) and get you back on the ship instead of watching the ship sail away while running aside it along the pier.

Me personally, I keep the SeaPass Card following the cruise with all the other ones, if only to have a "hard copy" as proof in the future in case there's a problem with my Crown & Anchor Cruise History and Cruise Points.:eek:

I loved using the Disney Magic (RFID) band late last year as it was super convenient. However, I don't see the same benefit on a cruise since you'll still likely need a Seapass in port as I doubt they'll outfit the port personnel with portable scanners to confirm your identity; thus, the only benefit will be while aboard the ship.

I loved using the Disney Magic (RFID) band late last year as it was super convenient. However, I don't see the same benefit on a cruise since you'll still likely need a Seapass in port as I doubt they'll outfit the port personnel with portable scanners to confirm your identity; thus, the only benefit will be while aboard the ship.

That is an interesting point on what we will need ashore as no name or anything is on it for what I can see

Have to just wait and see

What do Disney do ashore

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is an interesting point on what we will need ashore as no name or anything is on it for what I can see

Have to just wait and see

What do Disney do ashore

Last time I was on DCL, they had RFID enabled cards, not bands, so it worked very similar to the Seapass except you tapped instead of swiping it. I know they've implemented the band onboard for the kids, but that for logging in/out of the club and for tracking their location. When you go to pickup your kid, they can tell you exactly where they are. I suppose this is scary for some, but reassuring for others.

Last time I was on DCL, they had RFID enabled cards, not bands, so it worked very similar to the Seapass except you tapped instead of swiping it. I know they've implemented the band onboard for the kids, but that for logging in/out of the club and for tracking their location. When you go to pickup your kid, they can tell you exactly where they are. I suppose this is scary for some, but reassuring for others.

Thanks for that info

Didn't know that and looking forward to it on quantum

Cheers :)

I've been using my magic band for my annual pass and hotel room key along with credit card since the beta program opened. It's been nothing but fantastic for me.

The idea of being tracked really is a case of paranoia. Sorry people the whole world isn't out to get you. As mentioned the tracking purposes in Disney are not extremely detailed. They cannot track your every whereabouts around the park. That is just 100% false. They have two readers throughout the park. 1 is the up close readers(purchases, room cards, fast past etc) the second are hotspot readers. Set up in various locations throughout the park. Areas that are known for high traffic or rides. So they place readers that can read out to around 150 ft. Which gives the park idea of foot traffic at different locations and different times with real data. It doesn't say mike is sitting in the bathroom. Doesn't work like that.

This whole talk of not wanting to be treated like a criminal is also nonsense. Using that logic you shouldn't cruise at all. Considering jails make inmates take photos and have an id. They must scan in and out to know their whereabouts. You need a sea pass card with your picture. And they know when you leave and get on the ship. They also know every place you scan your card. Ohhhhhh boogie man is gonna get you. Lol stay home then

Obviously they can't get rid of the cards for the paranoid folks who think their life is so special that everyone wants to know where they are at all times. Rccl knew it wasn't worth the time to force people to use something that common sense shows is a great functional tool. As mentioned times are changing as are the crowds. It's only a matter of time before that crowd won't be cruising anymore and as another posted said "we will think back wow remember when we had cards".

As far as rccl having them I think it's absolutely fantastic and can't wait for rccl to implement it fleet wide. Tracking on a ship would be near impossible in some places. Think sail away show in the promenade. Far too many people stacked in together in a small place.

I've been using my magic band for my annual pass and hotel room key along with credit card since the beta program opened. It's been nothing but fantastic for me.

The idea of being tracked really is a case of paranoia. Sorry people the whole world isn't out to get you. As mentioned the tracking purposes in Disney are not extremely detailed. They cannot track your every whereabouts around the park. That is just 100% false. They have two readers throughout the park. 1 is the up close readers(purchases, room cards, fast past etc) the second are hotspot readers. Set up in various locations throughout the park. Areas that are known for high traffic or rides. So they place readers that can read out to around 150 ft. Which gives the park idea of foot traffic at different locations and different times with real data. It doesn't say mike is sitting in the bathroom. Doesn't work like that.

This whole talk of not wanting to be treated like a criminal is also nonsense. Using that logic you shouldn't cruise at all. Considering jails make inmates take photos and have an id. They must scan in and out to know their whereabouts. You need a sea pass card with your picture. And they know when you leave and get on the ship. They also know every place you scan your card. Ohhhhhh boogie man is gonna get you. Lol stay home then

Obviously they can't get rid of the cards for the paranoid folks who think their life is so special that everyone wants to know where they are at all times. Rccl knew it wasn't worth the time to force people to use something that common sense shows is a great functional tool. As mentioned times are changing as are the crowds. It's only a matter of time before that crowd won't be cruising anymore and as another posted said "we will think back wow remember when we had cards".

As far as rccl having them I think it's absolutely fantastic and can't wait for rccl to implement it fleet wide. Tracking on a ship would be near impossible in some places. Think sail away show in the promenade. Far too many people stacked in together in a small place.