New to Cruising and 1st Trip Abroad

buonoj13

I apologize if this has already been asked and I overlooked it. We are scheduled to take our first cruise covering western Europe ports on NCL in 11 days. We have been making the plans, but I would like to know a couple of things: 1) we plan on touring a couple of the ports on our own rather than book onshore excursions (we are with another couple and I was outvoted) but I digress, can we easily get to Vatican City from Civitavecchia and from that point on how much time should I allot to allow us get us back to the ship on time (7:00 pm) I am wondering how much we can realistically see, I was hoping Vatican and the Colosseum and was hoping to walk between the two. 2) as for the other ports, we have the same question I guess, we rented scooters for Cannes and if we need to narrow it down any suggestions as to what to see would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions, tips, for both ports and the cruise itself would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Ohh our ports are Naples (Pompeii), Rome, Florence/Pisa, Cannes and Palma de Majorca.

Edited by buonoj13

Do go to Italy -ports of call forum for more info. The ship will be far from Rome about an hour each way by car service. Best time to do Vatican is when it opens and you'll need tix, most of which are gone by now.

Your best bet will be an outfit that can do both transport and tour. But don't confuse tour drivers with tour guides. The latter are licensed and, unless you want to try guiding yourself (see rick Steves guides), you'll need a licensed guide for Vatican and colosseum.

For the future, try cruise itineraries that start or end at Rome. You need at least 3 full days there and that's only scratching the surface of the "eternal city."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome... hard to answer your questions specifically. Don't know how old you are, able etc.

Don't know when you are going... time of year, day of week.

I can tell you what my experience has been. My DH and I first went to Rome back in l989, in the spring, we were lucky the Vatican was wide open (no security before 9/11), we took a cruise ship bus that dropped us off, we wonder the Vatican to our heart content, took a local bus over to the Colossema area, explore it and some ancient ruins, then headed to the train station and caught a local train back to the port. Bus ride in was about 1.5 hours, train trip back was about the same, then we needed to make our way back to the ship in port, which I forget how we did maybe a taxi. Many years ago.

A few years ago, we went again, once again we took the cruise ship bus in to Rome, we did a ship tour, "Rome on your own". Bus takes you in to a stop very near the Vatican, comes and picks you up at the end of the day. It just so happened we are in Rome on May Day (a big holiday in Europe). The Vatican and Rome were swamped with people, it was a 3 day holiday in Rome. Lines were very long at the Vatican... so we elected to enjoy a neighborhood church within blocks of the Vatican because only locals where there.

We have been to Rome several times over the years... it is more pleasant when it is not so crowded.

Do visit the Italian boards... for specific helpful information. Hope you have a great time.