Is this an upgrade?

Kybabe

We are sailing on the Island on Oct. 12th. I just checked my cruise personalizer and our cabin has been changed. We were in E225 and are now in A521. Is this an upgrade? Cabins are the same size, but maybe a better location?

We are sailing on the Island on Oct. 12th. I just checked my cruise personalizer and our cabin has been changed. We were in E225 and are now in A521. Is this an upgrade? Cabins are the same size, but maybe a better location?

A521 is underneath the Lotus Pool deckchair area.Its not my choice maybe yours.

Look up Princess Cruises Deck Plans Island Princess.

I think you have 48 hours to tell Princess if you wish to keep your old cabin.:)

Edited by kruisey

To answer your question, yes, it is technically an upgrade and most of us would consider it as such; but only you can decide if you like the new location better. Personally, I would rather be under the pool than above the theater. The Lotus pool is usually a nice quiet area, whereas the Princess Theater has activities and rehearsals all day and well into the night.

Edited by f-mattox

maybe ask for a downgrade? b309 or 310 and c309 are available. they are category BE and are on the bump-out portion.

I completely agree with this. You had a great category upgrade, but A521 is right under the open deck pool area and you're very likely to hear noise -- loungers dragged around, early am/late night deck cleaning, etc. However, B309/310 and C309 are on quiet decks and, even better for your Canal transit day, are located on the two decks which have open viewing areas all the way forward (and aft) -- excellent places to watch the approach to the locks. Your TA/Princess can and will switch you to any open cabin in your new upgraded category, which is one nice thing about upgrades!

We are sailing on the Island on Oct. 12th. I just checked my cruise personalizer and our cabin has been changed. We were in E225 and are now in A521. Is this an upgrade?

A521 is category BB.

There are category BB cabins on the Baja deck and these cabins will have cabins below them and above them and thus will likely be quieter.

If any of these Baja deck cabins in category BB are still available, Princess will switch you to one of them with no problem. Just ask your TA (or Princess if you booked directly).

Thanks for all of the help and great suggestions. I think that we are just going to stay on the Aloha deck. We do like that location. As for noise, my DH can sleep through anything and I always use earplugs when traveling, if needed!

In my opinion, Princess idea of upgrades and mine are not at all the same. Recently we received an email notification of an upgrade on our booked cruise. Princess just moved us down the hall and called it an "upgrade". That's not an upgrade to me. If they changed my interior cabin to an ocean view or balcony, THAT would be and UPGRADE. Are you listening Princess Upgrade Fairy??!! How about a suite?! As many times as I've cruised with Princess that questionable Fairy has never flown over my booking.;)

Barbara

We didn't receive any kind of notification. I just happened to check because I had read on another thread that someone had 'just checked' on their cruise personilizer and had seen that their cabin had been changed. I was kind of surprised that they would move us without notification. Most importantly though, we are still on the ship! and cruise!

We didn't receive any kind of notification. I just happened to check because I had read on another thread that someone had 'just checked' on their cruise personilizer and had seen that their cabin had been changed. I was kind of surprised that they would move us without notification. Most importantly though, we are still on the ship! and cruise!

If you booked through a TA they should send the upgrade notification to the TA. If you booked directly with Princess they should send the notification to you. If they sent the notification to your TA and the TA didn't forward it to you then you should speak with the TA.

I check my OV booking for November twice a day hoping for an upgrade to an Owner's Suite but it hasn't happened. Of course my chances of hitting the lottery big time are probably better than that particular upgrade but there's always a chance I could be upgraded to a balcony. :)

When checking my booking for a November 6th cruise on the Regal, I noticed my cabin had been switched from the one I selected on the Lido deck to one on Caribe deck. No notification. Called. Princess and they said there would be no problem switching it back even though the caribe cabin was an upgrade From BF to a BB. The representative said that if you agree to a cabin up grade when you book, they can make the change without notification. Yikes! I didn't know this. I consider an upgrade a move up in cabin type not a change on location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I consider an upgrade a move up in cabin type not a change on location.

That would be what is termed a "meta" upgrade. When you book, you can ask for one of the following:

will accept upgrade

will accept upgrade to next cabin type (meta upgrade)

will not accept upgrade (they may still want to upgrade you, but they are supposed to ask first if this was your choice.

Hi Donna,

We are sailing with you on the Island Princess on October 12 and same thing happened to us. I was doing a mock booking to check availability and saw our cabin was available! So, I looked at the personalizer and found that we were upgraded from a BF cabin on the Baja deck to a BB cabin on the same deck.

There are cabins above and below each of these cabins, so I guess it's a decent upgrade from forward to midship.

I too was surprised not to have received any notification from Princess or TA.