Poll: What's your absolute favorite onboard restaurant?

Favorite alternative restaurant  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite alternative restaurant

• Le Bistro
    • Teppanyaki
    • Ocean Blue (by Geoffrey Zakarian)
    • Moderno Churrascaria
    • Shanghai Noodle Bar
    • La Cucina
    • Chef's Table
    • The Raw Bar
    • Ocean Blue On The Waterfront (casual, lunch)
    • Wasabi
    • Cagney's Steakhouse
    • Something else (comment below)

If you're going to shell out an extra $15 - $39 for a meal onboard a Norwegian Cruise Line ship, what's your go-to?

Please vote in our poll, and feel free to comment below.

And a heads up: We're chatting today on Cruise Critic Live! with Norwegian Cruise Line's Frank Weber (3 p.m. Eastern) about new initiatives in cuisine onboard its ships, upgrading menus, adding new restaurants, etc. By chatting we mean your input is needed! Come by, ask questions of Frank, and I'll also be chiming in -- I'm on Breakaway all this week. Link to the chat is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2014/08/25/cruise-critic-live-norwegian-next-dining/

Can't make it? Post a question early if you like. We archive the chats and so you can also read 'em after to get the answer or just catch up.

Hope to see you there!

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Ms. Brown:

I have a question for you...

On the review of the Jade, it is stated at the end of the first page that gratuities are not added into the bar bill. Is this a correct statement?

I had posted this under ask a cruise question and never got an answer that I was happy with...

Thank You!!!:cool:

Hi, Cruising Golfer. The gratuity on a bar bill is an auto 15 percent. I think, a few years back it was an auto 18 percent gratuity which I thought was a bit much. There is a line on the bill to add an extra tip when you've been served well...I have done so quite a few times on this cruise. System seems to work well.

quote=Cruising Golfer;43914405]Ms. Brown:

I have a question for you...

On the review of the Jade, it is stated at the end of the first page that gratuities are not added into the bar bill. Is this a correct statement?

I had posted this under ask a cruise question and never got an answer that I was happy with...

Thank You!!!:cool:

I voted for Moderno, but Le Bistro is just one hair below that, so it was hard to choose. I'll be curious to see the results as they come in.

My thoughts as well, I do not like the location of some Modernos but I love the food. Le Bistro is for that one, romantic meal unless you are on the Dawn. Then it becomes one big, overcrowded coffee shop almost.

Hi, Cruising Golfer. The gratuity on a bar bill is an auto 15 percent. I think, a few years back it was an auto 18 percent gratuity which I thought was a bit much. There is a line on the bill to add an extra tip when you've been served well...I have done so quite a few times on this cruise. System seems to work well.

The auto-gratuity on bar tabs has always been 15%, never 18%. Perhaps you're confusing it with the spa's auto-gratuity which is 18%.

BTW, for newbies, the line on the bill for an extra tip can be confusing if one isn't aware of the auto-tip that's already included. I've read of some cruisers filling out the tip line unintentionally, which in essence resulted in a double tip. I'm glad that you pointed out that the the tip line is for an "extra tip", not the normal (included) tip.

I enjoyed the food at Le Bistro on Getaway, but it's like a closet on that ship. Tables are packed close together, and it's the only specialty restaurant with no view of the ocean. I'm looking forward to enjoying the better location on Epic.

Not to split hairs, but I think the title of this poll is slightly misleading. It is entitled "What's your absolute favorite onboard restaurant?" but the only poll choices are for the pay/surcharge restaurants.

my "absolute favorite onboard restaurant" is the (non surcharge) Great Outdoors buffet section on the ships that have same. :-)

I haven't eaten in any of the main dining rooms in years, so I eat exclusively in for pay venues with one exception, my personal favorite for all situations, the Blue Lagoon.:eek: I just love the menu, no surprises, just good decent food, as much as you like, and its free.;) I'll eat in Le Bistro, Cagney's, Teppanyakki, and the Haven on ships equipped with one.

Yes, Craig-n-Carol, we probably should've included the Haven! Thanks for the insight.

Carolyn

I love Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina, and this may not be what you were looking for on the poll, but the Haven Restaurant outperforms them all by far in all categories, service, food and atmosphere.