Just off Explorer from Bermuda/Propulsion issues and huricane

JAMESCC

Ok the cruise started off fine, we always wanted to try a Promenade room, and it was OK I think. We'll go back to a balcony next time I think. The ship needs refurbishment, or a total makeover. She is beautiful but really starting show her age. This was our 3rd time on her, last time was 2010 and its just time for her to go into serious dry dock.

The Propulsion issue was odd because we had literally just walk back to see the wake the propellers were making, and I thought it was more loud than normal, and really, really vibrating bad back there. Maybe it always is, but that was my impression. A few minutes after we left the stern and went inside the Captain made the announcement. So that was kinda odd. We docked I think at around noon. That made excursions a mess.

Speaking of Excursions we had a few we had to cancel, had one that was cancelled, and just ended up doing a trolley tour of the "west end" of Bermuda. We start to leave on this "trolley" that looks like a train, and has 3 cars and a little fake train engine. We are in the last car, and there is NO SOUND from the tour guide. Our car and the two cars in front of us were trying to get the guides attention, but no luck until about half way through. He then could not get the "Mic to work and proceeded to get out at every "important" stop and manually give up narration. Still could hear most of it. The people behind us were saying they want there money back. When we go back they gave the run around, and refused to give us our money back. They said no one else complained which is a GIANT lie. Someone besides us complained, but that was there story. Here is the weird part, they said they called the tour provider and they said nothing is wrong with the mike and the tour guide did the best he could and got out at every stop. So which is it, "Mic' worked or it didn't?

Now we were given 200 dollars on-board credit, but I think we deserve more.We go in at noon because of a propulsion issue, and then left at 7am because of a hurricane. We had like less than 20 hours in Bermuda. Maybe I'm wrong but I think we should have gotten more. I'm not one to complain. the trip was still fun, but not quite as it should have been. What do you think?

PS the propulsion issue was fixed so the captain said.

Edited by JAMESCC

Ok the cruise started off fine, we always wanted to try a Promenade room, and it was OK I think. We'll go back to a balcony next time I think. The ship needs refurbishment, or a total makeover. She is beautiful but really starting show her age. This was our 3rd time on her, last time was 2010 and its just time for her to go into serious dry dock.

The Propulsion issue was odd because we had literally just walk back to see the wake the propellers were making, and I thought it was more loud than normal, and really, really vibrating bad back there. Maybe it always is, but that was my impression. A few minutes after we left the stern and went inside the Captain made the announcement. So that was kinda odd. We docked I think at around noon. That made excursions a mess.

Speaking of Excursions we had a few we had to cancel, had one that was cancelled, and just ended up doing a trolley tour of the "west end" of Bermuda. We start to leave on this "trolley" that looks like a train, and has 3 cars and a little fake train engine. We are in the last car, and there is NO SOUND from the tour guide. Our car and the two cars in front of us were trying to get the guides attention, but no luck until about half way through. He then could not get the "Mic to work and proceeded to get out at every "important" stop and manually give up narration. Still could hear most of it. The people behind us were saying they want there money back. When we go back they gave the run around, and refused to give us our money back. They said no one else complained which is a GIANT lie. Someone besides us complained, but that was there story. Here is the weird part, they said they called the tour provider and they said nothing is wrong with the mike and the tour guide did the best he could and got out at every stop. So which is it, "Mic' worked or it didn't?

Now we were given 200 dollars on-board credit, but I think we deserve more.We go in at noon because of a propulsion issue, and then left at 7am because of a hurricane. We had like less than 20 hours in Bermuda. Maybe I'm wrong but I think we should have gotten more. I'm not one to complain. the trip was still fun, but not quite as it should have been. What do you think?

I think you should be happy with the $200 OBC and unhappy with the shorex. I hope you did not give the driver a tip.

Well, since there is no requirement to give obc, I think you should be happy with what you got. We've been on two ships with propulsion issues (known before we boarded) and we didn't get or expect anything. On GR, we knew the cruise before ours and it did slightly alter our itinerary times in our first port (PC) where they had the part delivered to fix it. On Allure last Nov, since we did a western route, nothing was affected. Eastern was and I know there were complaints, etc about it. Not sure about any obc.

The only obc we've ever received was for missing a port (Grand Cayman) and that was just port fees but we always know that tender ports can be cancelled.

I guess I would say RC are responsible for the propulsion issue but leaving early to not get involved with the Hurricane would be considered a safety issue and IMO deserves no compensation.

So $200 OBC for arriving a couple of hours late is not bad at all.

The mechanical and weather issues you describe are not within RCI's control. The ports of call are never guaranteed and the propulsion issue is just unfortunate. Aside from the change in port times you were not inconvenienced or at risk. IMO the $200 OBC is fair as a discretionary offer on RCI's part. They certainly would prefer neither had occurred.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Mechanical stuff happens. I think RCI does a respectable job of keeping its fleet serviced, but breakdowns are still going to occur. But you can't really fault them for leaving early to avoid the Hurricane (unless the propulsion issue made them leave ealy to avoid it). IMO, the OBC for that is probably fair.

I hope everyone that got jerked around by the tour provider lets RCI know they were unhappy (if it was signed up for through RCI). Enough cruisers complain or give it negative reviews and RCI may charter a different tour provider. Those guys don't want to get on the wrong side of the cruise ships, or they lose big business.

I am just off this cruise also and couldn't agree more AND have 100 more things I would like to complain about and I am generally not a complainer. I will be doing a day by day review shortly.

Ok then census seems to be 200 OBC is right on. I was just asking the question, and I see it seems its ok.

Also believe me I am glad we left when we did, no one want to be in 40 foot seas!

On the good side we had such awesome service especially in the dining room. We had "my time dining" and had the same waiter each night because loved him, and his partner. His name was George from Romania, and Arnold was his partner. Great team! We actually tipped extra for them.

I guess I would say RC are responsible for the propulsion issue but leaving early to not get involved with the Hurricane would be considered a safety issue and IMO deserves no compensation.

So $200 OBC for arriving a couple of hours late is not bad at all.

Just my thoughts too!

Ok then census seems to be 200 OBC is right on. I was just asking the question, and I see it seems its ok.

Also believe me I am glad we left when we did, no one want to be in 40 foot seas!

On the good side we had such awesome service especially in the dining room. We had "my time dining" and had the same waiter each night because loved him, and his partner. His name was George from Romania, and Arnold was his partner. Great team! We actually tipped extra for them.

Glad to see that positive attitude! Ships leave early to keep the passengers safe.

Few years ago we were on the NCL Dawn when we left at the tail of a hurricane and had another one chase us, only to find out that we had to leave Bermuda very early because a third one was going to hit Bermuda! We had REALLY rough seas all the time. But it was a cruise, and weather is not in the control of the cruise lines so we made the most of it. No "compensation" was given and none was expected!

Spent a month last Sept/Oct on EXOS and thought it was in Great condition for not having dry dock yet.:) All new carpets were being laid while we were on.

We had no problems and booked ExOS for next year B2B from Southampton.

Sometimes things work out and sometimes not.

We have had big Izapod problem on Navigator years ago in Lisbon, missed two ports then. We were compensated reasonably and many were very unhappy and others were fine with it, it was out of their control.

I'm on the Explorer now. Capt. announced we will not be sailing out until 8pm. Some inspection being done.

Gwen

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile ap

Wow! Thanks for posting. We are on the next sailing. Did you have your muster at the regular time?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm on the Explorer now. Capt. announced we will not be sailing out until 8pm. Some inspection being done.

Gwen

Yeah unfortunately Explorer is in desperate need of a full dry dock where everything is checked, fixed or replaced. I have a special love for this ship, it was our honeymoon ship to Canada/NE, and this was the last time we are gonna see her as she is moving out of NJ. We are looking at "Liberty" for Canada/NE next year. Yeah but we have a special love for "Explorer" because of the honeymoon connection, we have sailed on her 3 times. I know RCCL will make her gorgeous again.

Oh by the way we were invited to a "invitation only" event and the captain gave a little speech, but then the "sales person" came in and only confirmed "Anthem" being in NJ from 2015 to 2016 and did not mention any Bermuda cruises. Is this normal only confirming one year at a time? and do you find it odd they did not mention Bermuda as a destination? I know it hinges on the "dredging issue", but still found the no mention of Bermuda odd.

Oh by the way we were invited to a "invitation only" event and the captain gave a little speech, but then the "sales person" came in and only confirmed "Anthem" being in NJ from 2015 to 2016 and did not mention any Bermuda cruises. Is this normal only confirming one year at a time? and do you find it odd they did not mention Bermuda as a destination? I know it hinges on the "dredging issue", but still found the no mention of Bermuda odd.

The dredging issue is very complex with three or four separate options under discussion that have impact not only to the Dockyard pier locations but to Hamilton, St. George and potential development at the formal naval station as well.

The current proposals are quite expensive and partnerships with the cruise lines that would continue to dock there are being sought as well. As a result there is still no formal resolution and no plans would likely be confirmed regarding Anthem until such time as an agreement and completion timeline has been reached.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Gwen

inspection = good :D

Yeah unfortunately Explorer is in desperate need of a full dry dock where everything is checked, fixed or replaced. I have a special love for this ship, it was our honeymoon ship to Canada/NE, and this was the last time we are gonna see her as she is moving out of NJ. We are looking at "Liberty" for Canada/NE next year. Yeah but we have a special love for "Explorer" because of the honeymoon connection, we have sailed on her 3 times. I know RCCL will make her gorgeous again.

I am pretty sure that you answered your own question. :)

My daughter was on this cruise and didn't have one complaint.....other than she had to disembark this morning. We have been on the Explorer many times, along with other ships so she has enough experience cruising to base her opinions.

Her shore excursions were also canceled and she received a full refund. I think the OBC must have been based on what type of cabin you booked - because she received more than 200 per cabin.

Just a correction: In my first post on this thread I said Grandeur, when it should have said Enchantment. Sailing out of Baltimore those ships have both been there and GR has been there twice in the last 5 years..

Edited by BND

inspection = good :D

I am pretty sure that you answered your own question. :)

OK what I meant was I was surprised there was no mention of Bermuda, the dredging issue. A kind of "Hey if we ever clear up the dredging issue" we will do Bermuda again. I meant something like that, a kinda update.

Hey another question I really want to know. The boarding and disembarkation the ship thing is getting a bit old. I am glad they building the new terminal. I thought it was supposed to be finished by the time "Quantum" arrived, and based on what I saw that is a LONG WAY off. Also do we know exactly how the whole boarding and disembarkation process is gonna be? I mean no more buses right? Are we going to board at a higher like I have boarded ships in other ports in the past?