Toddler Friendly Excursions for eastern Caribbean

Hi everyone-

I have never traveled with 3 toddlers ages 5, 3 and 1 before! But, I will be next year in June with ports in Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten. Their parents will be along also but we are concerned that the 1 and 3 year old will not be in car seats for any vehicle travels...

Does anyone have any suggestions for excursions in those ports? Are there walking areas or what do you do?

Well, I don't remember anything that happened to me when I was 1 or 3. I suggest leaving the toddlers on the ship with the staff and enjoying the islands.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

Thanks for all the replies:) I think leaving the kids on the ship on port days is not an option, but I think its a nice idea!!!

The beaches do sound like a perfect thing to do with them....I wonder if there are beaches we can walk to from these ports! And the water taxis are a great option, thanks..

Edited by Whiskey40
added more

We went to the aquariums at Atlantis when my son was about 1 1/2. It was beautiful and a great experience. I'd recommend bringing a stroller because it could be quite a walk around the aquarium.

There were no car seats available, so we didn't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ST. Thomas has open-air trolley sort of things....jitneys...I guess.

Listen...we grew up with no car seats, or even, seat belts! Hey...we survived! Yes...an accident can happen anywhere. No one is 100% safe 100% of the time, no matter how hard we try. The odds are in your favor.

I believe in Nassau that Junkaroo Beach is walking distance from the ship.

St. Martin you can take the water taxi (just put the toddlers between adults on the seats). and once it docks the beach is right there. You can actually see the beach from the ship and vice versa, but it is quite a walk if you go on foot.

St Maarten- I'm pretty sure this is where we paid for the water taxi to use all day and ended up just walking back to the ship I should have known better since we have been there atleast twice but I forgot It's not real far guessing a mile but if you don't have a stroller the little ones would probably get tired! There is a beach right off of the water taxis if you want to rent chairs and umbrellas they are available for different prices (you don't have to take the 1st offer if you walk a little farther prices can drop depending how bad they want your business!)

Hi everyone-

I have never traveled with 3 toddlers ages 5, 3 and 1 before! But, I will be next year in June with ports in Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten. Their parents will be along also but we are concerned that the 1 and 3 year old will not be in car seats for any vehicle travels...

Does anyone have any suggestions for excursions in those ports? Are there walking areas or what do you do?

I would highly recommend bringing their car seats along. I see you're located in Ft Lauderdale, not sure if the toddlers are too or how their parents plan to get them to the port without a carseat.

We travel with our toddler all the time and we purchased an inexpensive, lightweight travel seat and store it in the closet of the ship (on the floor). So if their regular car seats are big and bulky, and they have wiggle room in their budget, the least expensive one on the market is a Cosco Scenera. $40 at Walmart. Yes, its safe, all car seats have to pass the same industry standards to be on the market.

ST. Thomas has open-air trolley sort of things....jitneys...I guess.

Listen...we grew up with no car seats, or even, seat belts! Hey...we survived! Yes...an accident can happen anywhere. No one is 100% safe 100% of the time, no matter how hard we try. The odds are in your favor.

I really don't like to argue with people on these boards, but that's absolutely absurd advice! Great, you survived. There also weren't as many cars on the road when you were a child. Things are different now. Children are infinitely safer in a car seat. A friend of mine lost her child in a car accident because she didn't have him properly secured in his seat. It kills me when I see people writing "hey, I didn't sit in a car seat and I survived!"

I really don't like to argue with people on these boards, but that's absolutely absurd advice! Great, you survived. There also weren't as many cars on the road when you were a child. Things are different now. Children are infinitely safer in a car seat. A friend of mine lost her child in a car accident because she didn't have him properly secured in his seat. It kills me when I see people writing "hey, I didn't sit in a car seat and I survived!"

Agree 1000% (if that's possible!). Bring the darn car seat along and use it in the cab. If you've ever taken cabs on these islands you shouldn't need to be convinced - I cringe when I ride with some of them. A bit of a hassle is a small price to pay for safety!

Agree that Baby Beach is perfect for little kids - hence the name. Very calm and not deep for a long way out.

On St. Maarten also agree to just go to the beach right in town - easy to ride the water taxi and then you are right there.

With kids that young, I really advise against any other excursions, particularly for the one year old. And bring twice the amount of sunscreen you would think they need - closer to the equator so easier to burn. Those rash guard t-shirts with 50 (or more) SPF are lifesavers. I wear one myself I got from Lands End and even with my pasty white freckled skin I have never burned while wearing them.

Edited by phoenix_dream