Clarify Dynamic Dining for me

First off I have only experienced traditional dining and MTD on other ships Have not sailed with Royal before. I have not sailed on NCL because it just never appealed to me. My family has very different tastes so we always enjoyed the main dining room because everyone could always find something we liked whether our taste ran from fancy(me) to plain Jane (My Hubby) to.. maybe I will try escargot appetizer but still order a burger for dinner (my sons).

Now if I understand the dynamic dining correctly, it looks like if we have to choose among these restaurants that someone will always be disappointed with their dinner that evening. For example My husband is very pure in his tastes..he loves seafood, but plain...(any grilled fish, or shellfish (plain) plain baked potato and green salad) or a traditional pasta, or classic steak. I would love most things from The Grande, Silk or Chic and I would find the American Grill too much like an Applebees, or Ruby Tuesday...or similar boring restaurant that I could do at home...How is dynamic dining supposed to account for such wide range of tastes within the same group of diners?

I am fine with sitting in any of the restaurants if they want to break them down into more smaller, intimate settings...but I don't want my dinner selections to be so limited and it looks like they will be.( On Disney we rotated among smaller restaurants, but our waitstaff followed us and menus for formal night etc. were the same no matter which restaurant you ended up in)

I get that the main dining room menus should be refreshed/updated periodically but there are also things people look forward to and expect and dynamic dining seems to just wipe this out and really go off in a different direction

Hopefully the menus posted are just a sample of the choices available and not the complete menu for each place because I can tell by what is listed that I will be very disappointed with dynamic dining. I also don't want to have to pay extra just to get Italian or a good steak... and i don't want to be forced to go to the Windjammer to have a variety of choices...I don't see how people can think this is a good idea...am I missing something here?

If you are looking forward to dynamic dining, what is it that you find appealing? Convince me that I will like this and it will work for my family. Because if rumors hold true I will have dynamic dining for my son's senior trip in April on the Oasis and will have to plan for him and his friends and will have a group of 8-12 with us..maybe more by sailing time..

My understanding is you will be able to eat food from the other restaurants in the one your in to cater for the differing food tastes

But yeah 5 complimentary restaurants to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Quantum. However no one knows what is going to happen on Oasis.

I believe you will do just fine. You will have many choices, both free and pay to fit into the most finicky eaters diets. And I believe if something is not on the menu in the restaurant you are sitting in but in another restaurant - your wait staff may just go and get an item on another menu in another restaurant. We have always had great service to include getting off menu items.

I for one am looking forward to the change.

As much as we love to cruise and as many cruises we have sailed - sometimes cruising can become routine. And Royal gets a great idea as on Voyager Class ships and continues to expand and improve until it reaches a saturation point - at least for us.

This is why we enjoyed Oasis Class - different but the same.

Quantum looks different - totally redesigned - we are looking forward to it and although the MDR is gone and I believe most cruisers have very fond memories from people, food, and entertainment in the MDR (On Carnival way back in the early 90s if it was Wednesday it was a Hot-Hot-Hot night!!) I am looking forward to the change.

Now - with all this said and you are not seeing anything on the online menues, which will most likely mirror what's onboard, perhaps a Royal ship not using Dynamic dining is best for you. We know Quatum and Oasis class ships are Dynamic...........Dining. Others it will take awhile to get with the program.

So Jillmom2 - first off welcome to the world of Royal Caribbean and welcome to Quantum or whatever ship. We are fond of Freedom Class chips ourselves.

See you on board.

g

I believe you will do just fine. You will have many choices, both free and pay to fit into the most finicky eaters diets. And I believe if something is not on the menu in the restaurant you are sitting in but in another restaurant - your wait staff may just go and get an item on another menu in another restaurant. We have always had great service to include getting off menu items.

As much as we love to cruise and as many cruises we have sailed - sometimes cruising can become routine. And Royal gets a great idea as on Voyager Class ships and continues to expand and improve until it reaches a saturation point - at least for us.

Quantum looks different - totally redesigned - we are looking forward to it and although the MDR is gone and I believe most cruisers have very fond memories from people, food, and entertainment in the MDR (On Carnival way back in the early 90s if it was Wednesday it was a Hot-Hot-Hot night!!) I am looking forward to the change.

Now - with all this said and you are not seeing anything on the online menues, which will most likely mirror what's onboard, perhaps a Royal ship not using Dynamic dining is best for you. We know Quatum and Oasis class ships are Dynamic...........Dining. Others it will take awhile to get with the program.

WOW

Really liked how you explained this topic.

Just wanted to say thanks!!!

Sea Ya

So far Dynamic Dining will be on the Anthem, Quantum and after drydock on the Oasis and Freedom. No one has all the facts and there are so many rumors going around. It does not help that RCI phone reps don't have the answers either and are contributing to the rumors. I do not know if I will like it or not before I try it but it sounds like I will enjoy it and I am willing to give it a try. Many people resist change but if you try it and don't like it, just choose a ship without DD for the next cruise. I really think people will not go hungry on a ship with DD.

My understanding is you will be able to eat food from the other restaurants in the one your in to cater for the differing food tastes

This is interesting, I was unaware of it.

So are you saying if, for example, I was dining in Silk and I didn't like the choices, I could order something from the American Icon? That solves a lot of problems for me if that is possible.

I have not heard or read anything about being able to eat/order food from other restaurants like you are indicating. And I don't recall Adam indicating this at the NYC reveal for DD.

Does anyone else recall Adam indicating this at the reveal or in the Google Hangout?

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

I have not heard or read anything about being able to eat/order food from other restaurants like you are indicating. And I don't recall Adam indicating this at the NYC reveal for DD.

Does anyone else recall Adam indicating this at the reveal or in the Google Hangout?

I only know what I hear on Cruise Critic (LOL!) I don't think I've heard anyone say this either - however, I do believe I saw a thread about an alternate menu being available. Found the thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063270&highlight=alternate+menu

I only know what I hear on Cruise Critic (LOL!) I don't think I've heard anyone say this either - however, I do believe I saw a thread about an alternate menu being available. Found the thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063270&highlight=alternate+menu

Don't confuse yourself with the alternative menu at each of the free restaurants, which is your standard, pasta, chicken, fish and steak.

Don't confuse yourself with the alternative menu at each of the free restaurants, which is your standard, pasta, chicken, fish and steak.

?? I'm not confusing myself - not sure what you are referring to? I was agreeing with you that I haven't heard that menus from other restaurants would be available at all free venues. However, to respond to the OP's main concern, I have read that there is an alternate menu that would likely appeal to her husband that should be available. As you said, this is a very basic menu.

?? I'm not confusing myself - not sure what you are referring to? I was agreeing with you that I haven't heard that menus from other restaurants would be available at all free venues. However, to respond to the OP's main concern, I have read that there is an alternate menu that would likely appeal to her husband that should be available. As you said, this is a very basic menu.

Sorry then I misunderstood :)

That would kind of defeat the purpose of the 5 different restaurants if you could order off any of their menus in any restaurant.:rolleyes:

And 1 of the 5 free restaurants is for JS and above.

Edited by molly361

This is the detailed description I received from my TA which I think will help all of us to understand the changes in the new ships. I imagine, if RCL gets a super positive response, they may consider changing their other larger ships to this concept, but I suspect it will be done very, very slowly.

"Basically it's open seating. Quantum and Anthem of the Seas are doing away with all their traditional and My Time dining.

It's dining at sea, reimagined, to give you more distinct options and total flexibility. There are no set dinner times, no required formal nights. Instead let your appetite be the guide to 18 tantalizing possibilities. Like five complimentary, full-service main restaurants. Three new restaurants with award-winning chefs at the helm. And much more, from upscale to casual to the wonderfully whimsical. With Dynamic Dining, Royal Caribbean International’s revolutionary approach to dining at sea, you now have the ability and flexibility to entirely shape your culinary journey onboard Quantum class ships. Given such ground-breaking changes, you may have some questions about your cruise ship dining experience.

Please visit Royal Caribbean site for more details and list of the restaurants.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/14037847_QN_Class_Culinary_FAQs.pdf"

Obviously some of us who have cruised for years are wondering if we will like it so we'll see.....Trish

Edited by twopats
error in spacing

So Jillmom2 - first off welcome to the world of Royal Caribbean and welcome to Quantum or whatever ship. We are fond of Freedom Class chips ourselves.

See you on board.

g

First Sorry, this has nothing to do w/ cruising. I noticed you have a line from Forrest Gump - If you go to youtube and type "my dad as forrest gump" you maybe in for a treat. My husband dressed up like f.g. and he had tons of fans :)

This is the detailed description I received from my TA which I think will help all of us to understand the changes in the new ships. I imagine, if RCL gets a super positive response, they may consider changing their other larger ships to this concept, but I suspect it will be done very, very slowly.

"Basically it's open seating. Quantum and Anthem of the Seas are doing away with all their traditional and My Time dining.

It's dining at sea, reimagined, to give you more distinct options and total flexibility. There are no set dinner times, no required formal nights. Instead let your appetite be the guide to 18 tantalizing possibilities. Like five complimentary, full-service main restaurants. Three new restaurants with award-winning chefs at the helm. And much more, from upscale to casual to the wonderfully whimsical. With Dynamic Dining, Royal Caribbean International’s revolutionary approach to dining at sea, you now have the ability and flexibility to entirely shape your culinary journey onboard Quantum class ships. Given such ground-breaking changes, you may have some questions about your cruise ship dining experience.

Please visit Royal Caribbean site for more details and list of the restaurants.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Quantum/14037847_QN_Class_Culinary_FAQs.pdf"

Obviously some of us who have cruised for years are wondering if we will like it so we'll see.....Trish

"There are no set dinner times, no required formal nights. Instead let your appetite be the guide to 18 tantalizing possibilities."

No set dinner times? I thought reservations were required fairly well in advance, meaning the day we board our dinner times would have all been set. I don't see how I can let my appetite be my guide months in advance.

No set dinner times? I thought reservations were required fairly well in advance, meaning the day we board our dinner times would have all been set. I don't see how I can let my appetite be my guide months in advance.

They meant that there's no early and late seating. No reservations are required, but like any other land based popular restaurant on a Saturday night, if you show up without a reservation you'll be waiting for a while to get a table.:cool: