Laundry on board?

txflood33

My wife and I will be on the Reflection in Oct and we are looking at packing options....1st longer vacation...will be about a total of 14 days

I have ready of laundry services aboard the ships. Is this a 'dry clean service' similar to what is offered at some higher end hotels? If so, I'm assuming it's somewhat pricey.

What about general laundry? If I wanted to wash some shorts, socks, t-shirts and a pair of underwear or 2...this this sent out as well like dry cleaning or is there a self operated laundromat style area.

I'm sure these questions seem odd/comical to some..:D..but just trying to make sure I don't get caught with my pants down...pun intended

My wife and I will be on the Reflection in Oct and we are looking at packing options....1st longer vacation...will be about a total of 14 days

I have ready of laundry services aboard the ships. Is this a 'dry clean service' similar to what is offered at some higher end hotels? If so, I'm assuming it's somewhat pricey.

What about general laundry? If I wanted to wash some shorts, socks, t-shirts and a pair of underwear or 2...this this sent out as well like dry cleaning or is there a self operated laundromat style area.

I'm sure these questions seem odd/comical to some..:D..but just trying to make sure I don't get caught with my pants down...pun intended

Not odd at all! There is no self service laundry on Celebrity. You will either have to hand wash or send out anything needing to be cleaned.

Not exactly.

It's true there are no self-serve machines on board.

But you can either send out dry cleaning, OR send out laundry (wash, dry and fold).

I wash my own undies and dry in a towel, hang to dry.

But for a long cruise we do send out laundry (luckily free for us), and my husband used to send out his tux/suit for dry cleaning.

From the Celebrity website FAQ

Are there laundry facilities onboard?

There is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates. Regular service, picked up before 9AM, is returned next day. For same day service, picked up before 9AM and returned same day, add 50% express service surcharge.

Laundry Services

Wash:

Item Price

Jacket $5.95

Pants $4.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Sweater $4.95

Shorts $3.95

Dress $7.95

Skirt $4.95

Pajamas $3.95

Handkerchief $1.95

T-shirt $2.95

Undergarments $1.95

Swimsuit $2.95

Socks, pair $1.95

Dry-Cleaning

Item Price

Suit $12.95

Jacket $7.95

Pants $5.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $4.95

Sweater $6.95

Shorts $4.95

Dress $12.95

Skirt $5.95

Necktie/Tie $3.95

Pressing Only

Item Price

Suit $5.95

Jacket $4.95

Pants $3.95

Long Sleeved Shirt $3.95

Short Sleeved Shirt $2.95

Sweater $3.95

Shorts $2.95

Dress $5.95

Skirt $3.95

Edited by cruisestitch

It is a bit pricey but very easy... swish the unders, a wash for a few harder-to-wash things.

We used to use shore side wash and fold services. You didn't say where you are sailing

good stuff...thanks....I searched Celebrity's site with no luck

We will be in the Eastern Med

Looks a little pricey, but may be doable.....both my wife and I will be in the middle of training for a 1/2 marathon and will have 7 short runs while on board to keep up with the schedule....3-5 miles each....but it adds up with both of us running.....14 running shorts, 14 shirts, 14 socks, 21 unmentionables...because I assume the ladies wear 2 per run :D

May take advantage of the laundry services for that and then some misc stuff

Reasonable rate my butt.....unless you are named Buffett, all cruise lines are high priced.

I have reached a point in life where I will pay for convenience

If I take everything...I run the risk of going over the 50lb limit set by the airlines....I could always take another bag and pay the checked fee and lug the heavier/extra bag

Or I could pay the laundering fees for the convenience. I know how to pack well. Traveling for business and wanting to avoid the luggage claim made me learn quickly.

It's the shoes that make is add up quickly.....running shoes(even though they are very light), dress shoes, comfortable walking shoes

Reasonable rate my butt.....unless you are named Buffett, all cruise lines are high priced.

I've found that the Celebrity laundry prices are less expensive than almost any hotel I've stayed in. And I, like txflood33, have also reached that point in my life where I will pay for convenience.

I've found that the Celebrity laundry prices are less expensive than almost any hotel I've stayed in. And I, like txflood33, have also reached that point in my life where I will pay for convenience.

That's why you send your laundry out all the time at home... :p

Damn right, that's why we travel lite, use shore-side wash and fold and ship-board when it's free or we're desperate.

No advise easier than spending another ones money.:p

I do use a dry cleaners at home :D

but sending out my washables would be inconvenient

If there were a stackable W/D in my cabin I would certainly use it

LOL

Too bad that "X" doesn't have as many choices as some other lines for those who are on longer term vacations.

Eh?:p

PS we travel enough that there is NO WAY anything we bring aboard needs dry cleaning.

The more you travel, the less you bring... and we have been travelling in a class that alots us unlimited luggage for a awhile now... )

Edited by A Sixth?

I've done laundry shore side in both Venice (this past May) and Rome (several different years). We did this year after 4 days on land, did all the laundry we could. It helped us. Our sailing was 11 night. We wash undies and socks in the cabin sink and dry in a towel and hang to dry. If we really have something get messed up, we send it to ships laundry.

Beware that ship laundry has 1 temperature - HOT. So if you fear shrinking - don't send it.

That's why you send your laundry out all the time at home... :p

Not the same thing at all. At home I am not on a vacation that I paid a large amount to take. Not sure why anyone would want to spend precious vacation time doing chores. Isn't that one of the things we take a vacation to get away from? :confused:

And at home I do take certain items to my local dry cleaners. Their prices are not that much less than Celebrity's. There may be cleaners in town that are cheaper, but you won't find me driving for miles out of my way to save a few pennies on dry cleaning. As has been said in an earlier post, certain things are worth the price for the convenience.

Edited by boogs

txflood33,

Bring some suction cups and twine because the S class ships do not have a laundry gizmo in the showers.

Celebrity also usually has a laundry offer during the longer cruises. And if you are a Captain's Club member there will be laundry and dry cleaning coupons. Suite guests also have discounts or free services too.

I've had no issues with either the laundry or dry cleaning prices and it sure beats fighting for a washer and dryer on HAL. I don't want anyone dumping out my laundry if I am two minutes late to the dryer.

txflood33,

Bring some suction cups and twine because the S class ships do not have a laundry gizmo in the showers.

Celebrity also usually has a laundry offer during the longer cruises. And if you are a Captain's Club member there will be laundry and dry cleaning coupons. Suite guests also have discounts or free services too.

I've had no issues with either the laundry or dry cleaning prices and it sure beats fighting for a washer and dryer on HAL. I don't want anyone dumping out my laundry if I am two minutes late to the dryer.

We will be on a 14 day sailing. I know I read something about a mid cruise laundry offer, where there is a flat fee for all you can stuff into a certain bag. Can anyone explain this in more detail? I'd love to plan that midway through the cruise I can send out any slow to dry underwear, socks, PJ bottoms, t-shirts, etc. We are CC Select, not Elite, if that makes a difference.

We will be on a 14 day sailing. I know I read something about a mid cruise laundry offer, where there is a flat fee for all you can stuff into a certain bag. Can anyone explain this in more detail? I'd love to plan that midway through the cruise I can send out any slow to dry underwear, socks, PJ bottoms, t-shirts, etc. We are CC Select, not Elite, if that makes a difference.

I'm also curious about this. We usually cruise NCL. Mid cruise, they have a laundry special, all you can put into a laundry bag for $25. It's a great deal, as we manage to roll up a lot of clothes and put them into that bag!

The laundry specials are not offered on every cruise, and there is no way to predict whether your cruise will have one. It all depends on how busy the laundry has been and if they need to up the laundry work load and revenue.

If it happens, it will be a "stuff the bag" special. The bags are paper so you can tear them if you try to put in too many items, but if you are careful you can get a lot in one bag.

Captain's Club members get discounts on laundry. Higher levels get some free laundry. There will be a sheet of coupons in your stateroom with the particular laundry coupons you qualify for included.

I have not used the laundry service yet and admit to being nervous that something will get lost? how it is it all kept separate once at the laundry? On a recent TV programme based on board the new P&O ship Britannia the laundry was huge with sheets and towels piled up all over the place. There was a massive backlog and it was getting worse by the day. Hopefully the laundry service offered to cruisers on Celebrity is easily separated from this mammoth industry that must be hiding away in the bowels of the ship. Anyone lost anything?

Also, I understand why they are not allowed, but I just wish there was an ironing room available to use. Sometimes things just need a bit of smoothing out and the ironing service, in my opinion is very expensive.

Edited by laslomas

Remember that everyone else is in the same situation -- unless they send their clothes out to be pressed, there will be wrinkles. Various methods for reducing them have been proposed previously on these boards, hang them in a steamy shower, use Downy Wrinkle Release or the home made version, pack between tissue paper, and others.

But don't bring an iron aboard, it will get you into trouble. And there is no place where you can use one of Celebrity's irons.