Laundry on board?

txflood33

Reasonable rate my butt.....unless you are named Buffett, all cruise lines are high priced.

I guess it depends on how much value a person thinks the service

is worth to them.

If you get your washed items back folded, is there a possibility to iron them somewhere on the ship? not that I am so ocd I would even iron underwear, but you never know :)

Irons are forbidden.....they are fire hazards.

this is good info...and now I am interested in the bag 'o laundry for a flat fee

Will the bag option be decided spur of the moment during the cruise by head of houskeeping? Is this something that is scheduled ahead of time and we could plan for?

For the ones looking for ironing options...in the 3-4th post in this thread, someone posted a clip from Celebrity's FAQ with laundry prices...it also had dry cleaning and pressing only...so you could get things ironed if you pony up the cash :D

packermom,

Celebrity has at least three different lists of what is forbidden. Steamers appear on one but not all of them. Thus their status is unclear in some peoples' minds. You can try taking one, but be prepared that it may win you a trip to the "naughty room" where you will be asked to remove it from your luggage, it will be tagged and returned to you at the end of the cruise. This delays getting your suitcases delivered to your staterooms while they are in "quarantine".

txflood33,

You will not know ahead of time if there might be a "stuff the bag" special on your cruise. As I wrote earlier, the laundry specials are not offered on every cruise, and there is no way to predict whether your cruise will have one. It all depends on how busy the laundry has been and if they need to up the laundry work load and revenue.

Edited by cruisestitch

We were on Reflection in the Med in May, a 13 day trip for us. We absolutely used the laundry service and the dry cleaning service for a number of items, and we were very satisfied. Yes, it was a little pricey, but a better choice for us than dragging an extra bag around Europe (with of course an extra luggage fee from the airline.) Everything was very satisfactory, I didn't get the feeling that very hot water was used as nothing seemed faded or shrunk, even the cottons. The only things folded were items that are usually folded, such as shorts and tee shirts. Other items like khaki pants or a polo shirt were on hangers and ironed if appropriate. I won't hesitate to limit our packing and use the laundry/dry cleaning services again --- except for the cost, and I agree that convenience is worth a lot at this stage of our lives. PS--- there was no special offer on our cruise of a set price for a bag full of laundry, we were hoping and watching but it never came.

Edited by cynbar

A few points:

As you can see in the above price lists the ship offers both "laundry" and "dry cleaning" services.

The laundry services do include pressing for appropriate items which will be returned on hangers. By appropriate items I'm referring to shirts, slacks and other items you'd expect to be pressed. They don't press socks, underwear, bathing suits, etc.

They do have some bulk laundry specials from time to time. These are included either at a price, or free, to some classes of their Captain's Club loyalty club members. They are also sometimes also offered to all cruisers on a cruise as a "bag of laundry special" but it is uncommon to see this offered during the first half of a cruise and sometimes it is not offered at all or not until the last couple days of a cruise. Items sent in on these bulk laundry specials do not include pressing and these are the items that are all returned washed and folded regardless of the type of item.

We've never had any issues with items being ruined or shrunk due to hot water but I've read that some have and many recommend that if you have delicate items that you might want to have them dry cleaned rather than laundered. My DW does this with nicer articles of clothing if she is concerned about how they might do in the regular laundry.

We always send a fair amount of clothes out for laundry, especially if we've had a longer pre-cruise trip. If my suit or tux, or certain other items, need to be dry cleaned for the cruise I'll wait until we're on board and have them done on the ship so they'll be nice and wrinkle free. I also inevitably have a few items that will need pressing after unpacking so I'll send those out for the "pressing only" service.

Yes this is all very pricey compared to the zero cost of doing these items yourself at home. But the fact is that you're not at home and you're on vacation on a ship. I've read posts in the past from some cruisers who spend a day in port finding a local laundromat and doing their laundry. While everyone likes to save money it seems odd to me that one would use up a day of an expensive cruise vacation, that they've paid thousands of dollars for, to save a few dollars on laundry. We typically spend $50 to over $100 on laundry which is a lot of money for laundry but not too much in the scope of the total cost of a cruise vacation.

Edited by Lsimon

I was just reading this thread and realized that I sent our laundry and dry cleaning with coupons a few days before our cruises ended yesterday. We received our laundry back as expected, but unfortuntately, I forgot about the two dresses I had dry cleaned until I read this thread. EEEK! :eek: :(

Hopefully someone contacts me back as I have email the ship and the office in Miami.

Fingers crossed!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I was just reading this thread and realized that I sent our laundry and dry cleaning with coupons a few days before our cruises ended yesterday. We received our laundry back as expected, but unfortuntately, I forgot about the two dresses I had dry cleaned until I read this thread. EEEK! :eek: :(

Hopefully someone contacts me back as I have email the ship and the office in Miami.

Fingers crossed!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Celebrity came through :) They have my dresses and I will pick them up when the Summit comes to Maine in a few weeks, yeah!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Celebrity came through :) They have my dresses and I will pick them up when the Summit comes to Maine in a few weeks, yeah!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Great news:)

The search feature really works on here:D

Here are other threads with all the same laundry/iron/steamer

questions.....these go back to 2013.......I only posted 4 but found at least a dozen threads.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013591&highlight=irons+and+steamers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2077489&highlight=irons+and+steamers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1971872&highlight=irons+and+steamers

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1910191&highlight=irons+and+steamers

Edited by Lois R