New to Celebrity

cruisercathy

Hi everyone,

I have been on 25 cruises but have yet made it to Celebrity. it looks like we are going to give Celebrity a try January 2016. We will be sailing on the Summit out of San Juan.

My sons and I have basically sailed Princess and Carnival and enjoy them both. I have been on Celebrity's website but can't find the answer to some of my questions.

Do they have a grill to get hot dogs and burgers during the day? How about pizza?

Is there an adult only pool area?

On sailing night (which will be late as we leave out of San Juan) can men wear shorts in the dining room?

Any other info/tips you can give me is appreciated.

Do they have a grill to get hot dogs and burgers during the day? How about pizza?

Grill is open until 6 p.m. Pizza is in the buffet, it is open until late at night.

The Solarium (covered pool) is for ages 16 and up. They MAY designate one of the outdoor pools as adults only. That varies cruise to cruise.

On sailing night (which will be late as we leave out of San Juan) can men wear shorts in the dining room?

No.

Hi everyone,

I have been on 25 cruises but have yet made it to Celebrity. it looks like we are going to give Celebrity a try January 2016. We will be sailing on the Summit out of San Juan.

My sons and I have basically sailed Princess and Carnival and enjoy them both. I have been on Celebrity's website but can't find the answer to some of my questions.

Any other info/tips you can give me is appreciated.

Yes your husband can wear shorts the first night in the MDR. Enjoy your Celebrity Cruise. BTW We think the hamburgers at the grill on Celebrity are better than on Princess. That's just our opinion.

Edited by davekathy

I can't argue that I have never seen shorts in the MDR on the first night, but overwhelmingly you will not see them and technically the maître d' does not have to admit you if you wear them. Sometimes, if the luggage has been delayed and the sailing is fairly early they will close their eyes to this requirement. If the sailing is late and all the luggage has been delivered, I would not count on being able to wear shorts, particularly if you have second seating.

Completely agree. Shorts are not permitted in the MDR at dinner and its not likely that the Maitre D would allow an exception when there's a late sailing and luggage has made it to the staterooms

You statement about the Maite D is not always the case. He did both nights of our B2B Cruise on the Summit March/April 2014. The first night we were greeted and told to enjoy our meal. The first night of the second leg we again were greeted and welcomed back for the second week and to enjoy our meal. I'm speaking for my own experience not an opinion.

I can't argue that I have never seen shorts in the MDR on the first night, but overwhelmingly you will not see them and technically the maître d' does not have to admit you if you wear them. Sometimes, if the luggage has been delayed and the sailing is fairly early they will close their eyes to this requirement. If the sailing is late and all the luggage has been delivered, I would not count on being able to wear shorts, particularly if you have second seating.

Agree, the Maitre D does not have to admit you in the MDR if you are wearing shorts even on the first evening.

On April cruise, it was announced that there was no dress code in the MDR the first night as luggage would be late getting to rooms. Nobody had to close their eyes, as it was the policy of the cruiseline. This isn't the first time it has happened with us, and in those instances have seen several in shorts. We take 1st night clothing in carry on that we bring on the ship but many others do not.

Welcome to Celebrity.

I suggest that you read fully the FAQ Section on the Celebrity Website... Tons of great info to be found there.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

Including details on the Dress Code (in the Pre-Cruise Section)

Dining Rooms & Specialty Restaurants in the Evening are always Smart Casual (no bathing attire, bathrobes, flip flops, Tshirts, shorts or torn / frayed jeans). Ties are not required... Collared shirts such as a Polo or Golf Shirt with Dockers / Chinos are what most men choose.

Sometimes there is an announcement made that Casual is ok in the MDR on the first night... If there has been a delay in luggage getting to the Staterooms. But do not count on that happening.

The Maitre Ds do turn away people who are not appropriately dressed for the venue / occasion including Formal Nights in the MDR (and only celebrated in the MDR) if a man has no jacket... On occasion we've seen the Maitre D offer a man a "loaner"... Personally that just is icky... So plan accordingly... Have the guys pack a Sports Jacket (or Tux or Suit), or look to eating elsewhere those evenings than the MDR... Lots of options

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Yes they have a dress code in the MDR

You did not mention the age of your sons...

We have crusied all the main lines and "X" is definitely our favorite. We have taken our Grandsons on "X" - Princess & Carnival and their preference is "X" too!

My Grandsons always came to the dining room in smart casual - if they wanted to stay in swim wear/shorts they went to the buffet.

They are always ready for another crusie with Grandma & Grandpa but much harder now that they both are older - working and last year of high school. They cannot just take off and join us!