NCL Reports It Has Agreed to Purchase PCH

rallydave

Agree totally....and I prefer no children, if possible. Just the fact that they are allowed into the Haven would be a deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer a more subtle and luxurious decor....just my opinion

That's why there are so many colors in the crayon box. As I said... not for everybody.

Agree totally....and I prefer no children, if possible. Just the fact that they are allowed into the Haven would be a deal breaker for me. Also, I prefer a more subtle and luxurious decor....just my opinion

Re the kids

I too prefer no kids -- but it is fairly easy to select an itinerary where kids are unlikely to be present. You are going to find kids even on Oceania on some summer itineraries, Alaska and Caribbean cruises and during holidays (alas).

NCL CEO Kevin Sheehan is talking about Oceania and Regent ships cruising to St. George's and Hamilton Bermuda.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140911/NEWS04/140919935

YUCK

BORING unless you are a golfer.

We had a two day stop on our transatlantic and I could not figure out why anyone other than a golfer would want to go there.

Bad news already.

Re the kids

I too prefer no kids -- but it is fairly easy to select an itinerary where kids are unlikely to be present. You are going to find kids even on Oceania on some summer itineraries, Alaska and Caribbean cruises and during holidays (alas).

I always try to cruise in Sept/ Oct. and April/May to avoid those problems. That is why I prefer Oceania because not much for the little ones to do:)) I will take my Grandson on Disney when the time comes.

NCL used to have a small ship, Crown, that did a Bermuda from NYC during the season that spent one night in Hamilton, St George, and Dock Yard. Maybe they will put one of the R ships on that run. Regardless if some find this port boring the ships that call there sail full and get good prices for their cabins.

NCL used to have a small ship, Crown, that did a Bermuda from NYC during the season that spent one night in Hamilton, St George, and Dock Yard. Maybe they will put one of the R ships on that run. Regardless if some find this port boring the ships that call there sail full and get good prices for their cabins.

Here's why the ships sail full

1. it is a relatively cheap cruise

2. no or cheap air fare involved (ships sail from NY largely)

3. 7 days - so people with limited vacation time can do it

4. gets them out of the awful heat and humidity of the summer on the east coast

5. maybe they golf.

6. most of the time is spent on the ship.

They sure do not go there for the cultural experience or fabulous things to do or see.

A Cruise to Bermuda from New York is a similar deal to those cruises from Los Angeles to the west Coast of Mexico. Not very exciting or exotic, but the ship does not burn much fuel, and they can say that they left the United States to keep the labor laws satisfied.

5. maybe they golf.

They sure do not go there for the cultural experience or fabulous things to do or see.

Each to their owne view but I think the only one that I could agree with is number three. Have you ever done it? Did you read the article? I love the " we do not owne the company YET, but get ready" I did not think they would change much but maybe I was wrong. Seems they are looking at things. Bermuda really want a steady ship at St. Georges and Hamilton. The R ships can do it so I bet NCL is using that to get leverage to get a better deal for the big ships.

A regular schedule, repeated week after week after week like the mainstream lines, would be a disaster for Oceania or Regent. This possibility has dismayed me more than all the ogher predictions of doom. What could he be thinking? The variety of itineraries is one lf the key factors in the success of the Prestige ships.

If Mr. Sheehan tries to change things that much, he wil, cause the dealth of Oceania and Regent and lose his investment.

The statement, we don't own them...yet, dismayed me as well, and I've been one of the biggest supporters of the merger so far.

I bet NCL is using that to get leverage to get a better deal for the big ships.

They already have a very sweet deal with Bermuda, long term.

They committed to two ships all season for years forward; in return, Bermuda built a new dock.

Celebrity and RCI have ships doing that run all season as well.

Using O or R for the smaller ports in Bermuda on a milk run seems like a dumb idea.

Stopping there on the coastal runs and the TAs is not so bad.

Edited by computerworks

YUCK

BORING unless you are a golfer.

We had a two day stop on our transatlantic and I could not figure out why anyone other than a golfer would want to go there.

Bad news already.

Boring in your opinion.

We've been going to Bermuda for more than 25 years. We're never bored, and we're not golfers.

Boring in your opinion.

We've been going to Bermuda for more than 25 years. We're never bored, and we're not golfers.

Happy for you and glad you enjoy it

But I don't want to go any single place for 25 years LOL

I assume you are escaping bad weather in New Jersey -- can't blame you.

Perhaps you like the beach -- we avoid sitting in sun nowadays. Beach vacations are not our thing.

I do not see the attraction at all

It's a big world and I plan to see it all while I am still able to.

I've seen Bermuda and I don't think it's worth going back

I hope O doesn't waste too many itineraries on that route.

5. maybe they golf.

Have you looked at the prices of Bermuda cruises? The per diem fares are higher than any other closed loop itinerary sailed regularly from east coast ports.

Most cruises from the NY area are already 7 days, so the Bermuda cruises are no different.

It's more humid in Bermuda in mid summer than it is in the NY area.

We are not golfers and have been going to Bermuda for more than 25 years, and we don't spend most of our time on the ship. Nor do others...the ships are very quiet during the day...most passengers are off the ship.

Happy for you and glad you enjoy it

But I don't want to go any single place for 25 years LOL

I assume you are escaping bad weather in New Jersey -- can't blame you.

Perhaps you like the beach -- we avoid sitting in sun nowadays. Beach vacations are not our thing.

I do not see the attraction at all

It's a big world and I plan to see it all while I am still able to.

I've seen Bermuda and I don't think it's worth going back

I hope O doesn't waste too many itineraries on that route.

No we're not escaping bad weather...the weather in Bermuda is very similar to NJ's in summer.

I rarely go to the beach (my wife goes a bit more frequently) and we're never at a loss for other things to do.

It very foolish for you to assume that spending 1 week a year in Bermuda somehow prevents us from traveling elsewhere in the world. There are 52 weeks in a year last I checked, and even before we retired we had more than enough vacation time to travel.

They committed to two ships all season for years forward; in return, Bermuda built a new dock.

Using O or R for the smaller ports in Bermuda on a milk run seems like a dumb idea.

I have no doubt he means what I've highlighted in red.

It very foolish for you to assume that spending 1 week a year in Bermuda somehow prevents us from traveling elsewhere in the world. There are 52 weeks in a year last I checked, and even before we retired we had more than enough vacation time to travel.

I think it is YOU making the incorrect assumptions.

Read my post and don't assume it means anything other than what it says.

I never said it prevented you from doing anything or going anywhere else.

I simply said that I do not want to go ago a single place 25 times.

A regular schedule, repeated week after week after week like the mainstream lines, would be a disaster for Oceania or Regent. This possibility has dismayed me more than all the ogher predictions of doom. What could he be thinking? The variety of itineraries is one lf the key factors in the success of the Prestige ships.

If Mr. Sheehan tries to change things that much, he wil, cause the dealth of Oceania and Regent and lose his investment.

The statement, we don't own them...yet, dismayed me as well, and I've been one of the biggest supporters of the merger so far.

+1

I did not enjoy reading that article - like a child saying "let's see what can I do with my new toy".

I believe that he is saying that while he does not approve of a simple round trip Bermuda Route, he would not object to Bermuda being a port of call on longer Cruise, up or down the Eastern Seaboard, or Transatlantic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerworks View Post

Where do you see that in his statement? I don't see it anywhere.

“But this acquisition could enable us to think more about Bermuda especially given that both Oceania and Regent (which fall under Prestige) deal with the high end of the market.

“Both of these brands, we would think, would have customers who would favour Bermuda as a destination. Many of the smaller, high end ships would be perfect for Bermuda.

“They could come into Hamilton for a couple of days and maybe St George’s for a couple of days. But we do not own the company at this point.

“It is something we would look at in the future. It’s certainly an option we would consider.”

One should say what one means and mean what one says.

There is more to the Bermuda theory than meets the eye. Check out this article entitled "Construction at Heritage Wharf to accommodate Norwegian Breakaway" http://bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Construction-at-Heritage-Wharf-to-accommodate-Norwegian-Breakaway/24/270/62885. A wharf is not built to accommodate a specific ship unless there is a reason to do so. A commitment -- an investment????? We will no doubt learn more.

Also, for anyone interested in the Board of Directors of NCL Cruise Holdings, here they are (very strong influence from Apollo). http://www.ncl.com/about/board-of-directors

Edited by Travelcat2

The way he talked about what he will do when the deal closes and the present plans run out says he is in control. I bet FDR will go after 2015

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

The way he talked about what he will do when the deal closes and the present plans run out says he is in control. I bet FDR will go after 2015

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

What about the Explorer? Right now this is his baby. Only FDR can make the new Regent ship as spectacular as the Riviera and Marina. I'm hoping that he will stay through the launch of the Explorer.

There is more to the Bermuda theory than meets the eye. Check out this article entitled "Construction at Heritage Wharf to accommodate Norwegian Breakaway" http://bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Construction-at-Heritage-Wharf-to-accommodate-Norwegian-Breakaway/24/270/62885. A wharf is not built to accommodate a specific ship unless there is a reason to do so. A commitment -- an investment????? We will no doubt learn more.

Also, for anyone interested in the Board of Directors of NCL Cruise Holdings, here they are (very strong influence from Apollo). http://www.ncl.com/about/board-of-directors

Heritage Wharf was built and in use by NCL before the Breakaway was even designed. It had to be rebuilt last year to accommodate the Breakaway (and the rebuild was barely completed in time). Heritage Wharf originally could accommodate ships no larger than NCL's Jewel class. If I'm not mistaken, Heritage Wharf was opened in 2009.

There's nothing mysterious going on. Bermuda built Heritage Wharf and gave NCL primary docking rights there in return for NCL agreeing to send two ships per week to the Royal Naval Dockyard in Bermuda in season.

Apollo has controlled NCL's board of directors from the day they acquired 50% of the company from Genting for $1 billion...it was part of the agreement between Genting and Apollo. Again nothing mysterious or underhanded.

Edited by njhorseman