NCL agrees to buy Prestige (Oceana, Regent) for $3B

johnnypiano

NONE of these benefits are FREE, they are simply pre-paid. And it's interesting how you compare the highest cabin categories on NCL to Regent. This is my perspective. My upcoming OV cabin on NCL cost me $916 ($458 per person). You quoted the cheapest OV on Regent to be $3,600 ($1,800 per person). That means all of those FREE things you described actually cost $1,342 per person for a week cruise. :eek: Hardly FREE. And half of them are of no use to me so that would be a huge waste of money, especially since I could get 28 night at sea on NCL for the price of 7 nights at sea on Regent.

I compared the highest cabin categories on NCL to Regent only because the discussion at the time was about Haven suites. I had not ever heard of a Haven suite but since it was being discussed I looked up the prices.

Had to laugh about the "FREE" things. I copied and pasted that from the Regent website and really hate when they put "FREE" in all capital letters (or even use the term free). These are included and are certainly a part of the cruise fare.

People who prefer not having included drinks, etc. sail on Oceania. We have sailed on both. And, not every long time Regent cruiser appreciates or wants included excursions - I would much prefer just to pay for what I want.

I believe the CEO's of both NCL and PCH understand that customers from NCL may not be interested in Oceania or Regent and visa versa. They are all so different and good in their own ways. What they are accomplishing is getting bookings for people with families that love NCL -- the large ships - activities, etc........ bookings for people who do not want all-inclusive but like smaller, quieter ships with little activity and for people that prefer to have everything paid for upfront and want to be taken care of from the moment they arrive in the embarkation port city to when they go to the airport at the disembarkation city (up to the time they are at inside the terminal where their luggage is delivered to the check-in area of their airline).

Have to address sjbdtz's comment "I imagine you'd be equally unhappy if they made it easier on O or R to obtain higher status?" Yes -- I would be very upset and unhappy if it were made easier on Oceania and Regent to obtain higher status. It took us 10 years to reach the status we are at and would be disappointed to see passengers get all of the same benefits we do after taking a handful of cruises. BTW, Oceania is referred to as "O" but Regent is Regent. Even after being sister companies with Oceania for 6 years I still get confused in terms of the references used. The company is "O" but the new ships are "O class" but are many times referred to as "O". Their smaller ships are "R class" usually referred to as "R" - not to be confused with Regent. So, I could say that I'm sailing on O in November, on an O ship because we prefer them to a R ship. Actually I would never say it that way but we will be sailing on Oceania in November on one of their new ships because we prefer them to the smaller ones. Think I just confused everything:confused:

Edited by Travelcat2

Have to address sjbdtz's comment "I imagine you'd be equally unhappy if they made it easier on O or R to obtain higher status?" Yes -- I would be very upset and unhappy if it were made easier on Oceania and Regent to obtain higher status. It took us 10 years to reach the status we are at and would be disappointed to see passengers get all of the same benefits we do after taking a handful of cruises.

That is actually what happened on NCL a few years ago - it was much "harder" to reach the highest level (Platinum) then, and just when we were close to reaching that point they (NCL) changed it, so that a person with just a few cruises can climb the ladder up to Platinum by doing several "short-cuts" (like booking early, booking a suite, etc.).

Tiny little operators, like MSC....which claims to be the 3rd-largest in the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSC_Cruises

First of all, notice that I said " most of the rest are tiny international operators that most have never heard of."

MSC is listed as having 6.3% of the worldwide passenger market share.

That is actually what happened on NCL a few years ago - it was much "harder" to reach the highest level (Platinum) then, and just when we were close to reaching that point they (NCL) changed it, so that a person with just a few cruises can climb the ladder up to Platinum by doing several "short-cuts" (like booking early, booking a suite, etc.).

Thanks for the explanation. I'm learning a lot here but have a lot more to learn:)

Hopefully further down the line this means that existing NCL Latitude members can cruise with Prestige (Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises) and get the same level of "bonuses" similar to their Latitude level on board the two other cruise lines, like it was possible to do when cruising with Star cruises earlier?

I hope so, as I see that they both have cruises in the South Pacific and around Australia and New Zealand, and that is on the top of the list for me when it comes to cruising. But so far I have been patiently awaiting one of NCL's ships to move "down under" within my lifetime, but if I get to keep my Platinum Latitude status when sailing with Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, then I would definitely consider it.... :p

I have my fingers crossed for this as well.

I think that was a huge mistake on NCL's part. I miss that. It was classy, and it couldn't have cost them much to do it.

It might have been classy if they gave you real champagne rather than cheap sparkling wine.

I remember the lobby and adjacent areas being littered with half full discarded glasses of the stuff.

I think is was a total waste of money and one the smartest money saving ideas they ever implemented...eliminate something that most passengers either didn't want, or didn't like after they tasted it...and it was ridiculously pretentious for a mass market cruise line. Remember, NCL was about to go belly up under the leadership in place at the time they started serving the "champagne".

Edited by njhorseman

I have my fingers crossed for this as well.

It is highly doubtful ...... Regent and Oceania do not even recognize each other's loyalty benefits. They wanted to at one point but it is too difficult. The values are too different and the basis of the loyalty levels do not match. If you look at the differences in the loyalty programs, you will see what I mean.

P.S. Just looked at the Latitudes benefits on NCL. Many things are included at no cost on Regent and Oceania such as dining in specialty restaurants. Really hope you will go to the Oceania and/or Regent website and look at what is included already.

Edited by Travelcat2

It is highly doubtful ...... Regent and Oceania do not even recognize each other's loyalty benefits. They wanted to at one point but it is too difficult. The values are too different and the basis of the loyalty levels do not match. If you look at the differences in the loyalty programs, you will see what I mean.

P.S. Just looked at the Latitudes benefits on NCL. Many things are included at no cost on Regent and Oceania such as dining in specialty restaurants. Really hope you will go to the Oceania and/or Regent website and look at what is included already.

Travelcat2, I see what you mean about the inclusions. I read about the cruise from San Francisco to Alaska. It's apples to oranges so to speak.

A little update regarding the acquisition. I]There aren't any plans to combine loyalty programs, Sheehan said. “I can see advantages to that and disadvantages,” he said. “I want to keep the integrity of the three brands separate and distinct.”[/i]

Exactly how I look at it.

Math looks good...but you didn't finish..... easy to forget

SO we take your $458 pp for 7 days and I assume that includes all port and takes because Oceania and Regent do

Then for special diners, juices, etc about $ 290, then tips 84, oh and an average air to It looks like 650 to 850... So I add failrly $750. Internet well rounf it off at $20 a day $140

So a 7 day on Oceiana costs about $1650pp tax license, tips out the door...your final cruse cost except for liquor which would run 450 $60 per day unlimited prem liquor and wine and tip

On NCL I come up with , or a real cost ( what you would actually pay at the end) of $1722 $1583 without internet PP/per day

I switched to Oceana years ago because I take longer cruises to distant places. On lines like NCL , Princess or Holland, when you added it all together door to door it was about $200- pp/per day to sail on Oceania ....

My other reason was size of ship 800 to 1000, not 3000 on a ship bigger than Navy aircraft carriers. ( no lines..no waiting..no fix seating, chairs, tables and lounges open, different restaurant's every night all no charge) Food..while everyone clamorer for "lobster night" of a 7 day....Oceania serves in in every restaurant, even the pool grill serves lobster and filet sandwiches daily. soda....and specialitie coffee , juices, waters...no charge.

Someone mentioned stuffy.. not really, its an all casual ship.. seldom do you see a tie...slack and golf shirts... no pretention just like being at a buddies for dinner... very low key and friendly... More pretention from first and second time cruisers of other lines trying to impress.

So you yes you can sail cheaper on NCL for 28 days...just drive to the port ( of course parking and gas must also be free, Don't use the internet, eat every meal in the main dining room and don't mind crowds and lots of kids and formal nights and drink nothing but tap water and ice tea.... you can do it but only if you sail out of Seattle, LA or Miami..... all other ports in the world are off the table. You can do it....but why do you go on a cruise... Hitchhiking is cheaper than owning a car too

Heck I spent 60 days at sea on an navy destroyer far cheaper than NCL and they paid me

Seriously, if you are honest with yourself and add everything door to door you will notice the value....I did

Am I misunderstanding you here? You quote a number of benefits that you get for a certain level of Suite and state that higher level suites get additional benefits. Surely that means that everyone is not treated the same.

The benefits you get are all behind your closed doors.. like internt in cabin and a butler, stocked bar. free phone calls.

And on an all casual ship everybody treats everybody else with openness and kindness....Never have I met a bunch of happier, outgoing people. Why not? no lines, no stress, no kids, smooth attentive service fantastic cuisine ... Its just that way no one is out to impress. no gold chains...

There is far more class distinction on NCL, Celebrity, Holland... selling its elite sounding cabins....

On Oceania and Regent all cabins are suites

SO we take your $458 pp for 7 days and I assume that includes all port and takes because Oceania and Regent do

Then for special diners, juices, etc about $ 290, then tips 84, oh and an average air to It looks like 650 to 850... So I add failrly $750. Internet well rounf it off at $20 a day $140

So a 7 day on Oceiana costs about $1650pp tax license, tips out the door...your final cruse cost except for liquor which would run 450 $60 per day unlimited prem liquor and wine and tip

This is where the problem comes in with fares that include a lot of extras.

Special diners $290? No way. I've never spent more than $80, and usually it is less than £50.

Liquor $60 a day? Not even close. I drink a reasonable amount on a cruise, but it is all stuff that is relatively cheap. A few bottles of wine from the wine package, some buckets of beer. Over the course of a cruise we average more like $40.

I'm not saying that all inclusive (or fares with lots included) aren't good for many people, but they are appalling value for many more. For the likes of myself, to take the full value of what you get is the same as me buying the UDP, eating in Cagneys every night and claiming that I saved hundreds of dollars. No I didn't, I just ate in Cagneys a lot more than I would have otherwise and spent a lot more money.

As I say, it isn't that either is good or bad, but it's just different strokes. That's the beauty of the different lines, and if NCL have any sense they will keep it that way.

Seriously...even Oceania doesn't have the hubris describe their inside, outside and veranda staterooms as suites. Yes I really want to book one of those 160 square foot suites on the R class ships.

And their ordinary staterooms don't have butler service...and only concierge level stateroom categories and higher have concierge service, so there certainly are class distinctions in service among their stateroom and suite categories...very similar to those on NCL.

And outside my stateroom no one knows that I'm in a suite as opposed to the least expensive inside.

Edited by njhorseman

On NCL I come up with , or a real cost ( what you would actually pay at the end) of $1722 $1583 without internet PP/per day

I switched to Oceana years ago because I take longer cruises to distant places. On lines like NCL , Princess or Holland, when you added it all together door to door it was about $200- pp/per day to sail on Oceania ....

My other reason was size of ship 800 to 1000, not 3000 on a ship bigger than Navy aircraft carriers. ( no lines..no waiting..no fix seating, chairs, tables and lounges open, different restaurant's every night all no charge) Food..while everyone clamorer for "lobster night" of a 7 day....Oceania serves in in every restaurant, even the pool grill serves lobster and filet sandwiches daily. soda....and specialitie coffee , juices, waters...no charge.

Someone mentioned stuffy.. not really, its an all casual ship.. seldom do you see a tie...slack and golf shirts... no pretention just like being at a buddies for dinner... very low key and friendly... More pretention from first and second time cruisers of other lines trying to impress.

So you yes you can sail cheaper on NCL for 28 days...just drive to the port ( of course parking and gas must also be free, Don't use the internet, eat every meal in the main dining room and don't mind crowds and lots of kids and formal nights and drink nothing but tap water and ice tea.... you can do it but only if you sail out of Seattle, LA or Miami..... all other ports in the world are off the table. You can do it....but why do you go on a cruise... Hitchhiking is cheaper than owning a car too

Heck I spent 60 days at sea on an navy destroyer far cheaper than NCL and they paid me

Seriously, if you are honest with yourself and add everything door to door you will notice the value....I did

Twasn't my math, but that's okay (I'm not going to scroll back to look at the post that I was agreeing with). We don't do the specialty restaurants, don't use internet, don't mind the mid-sized ships and of course don't mind kids. We've rarely run into lines on NCL and when we have we didn't wait long. Next time we plan a cruise we'll price Oceania and Regent out with the rest and see what happens.

The benefits you get are all behind your closed doors.. like internt in cabin and a butler, stocked bar. free phone calls.

And on an all casual ship everybody treats everybody else with openness and kindness....Never have I met a bunch of happier, outgoing people. Why not? no lines, no stress, no kids, smooth attentive service fantastic cuisine ... Its just that way no one is out to impress. no gold chains...

There is far more class distinction on NCL, Celebrity, Holland... selling its elite sounding cabins....

I'm still not sure what the difference is here between NCL and Oceana or Regent as described.

On NCL, the vast majority of the suite perks are behind closed doors. I usually sail in Balconies or Mini Suites, but was in a suite once. When around the ship I didn't notice any difference in how I was treated whichever cabin I've been in. Other than having the Concierge available to help with reservations there is very little difference when you are outside your cabin.

Not trying to be difficult, but I really don't understand the original post that I responded to and your comment hasn't helped.

Truth I have sailed several times on NCL...Hawaii, Carrribe and Alaska... and was turned off on the experience. The paint job really put me over the top.

So yes I have sailed but not in the past 18 years Seeing the Epic just reinforced my opinion

Tried Holland for a bit and it was better...then I went Regent... took several 3 to 4 week cruises in the Pacific. Then they went super all inclusive, and Oceaina appeared as a ala carte version of Regent where I could do my own stuff as an option.

My values are the ship must be a ship and focus on the ocean experience, It must be 1200 or less passengers and under 700 ft. It must offer high quality enrichment lectures and classes, and it must have total freedom and flexibility in where you eat and with a large variety to choose from and cordon blu quality. No kids...or very rarely will you ever ( or I have ever seen one)see one. It must offer a casual dress with no formals or lets meet the captain BS. yet be quiet understated and high quality in everything.

Finally, I am a people person( Don can attest to that) who enjoys meeting diverse and interesting people, I do not enjoy crowds or Vegas like resorts and can entertain myself without much help (in 30 years I have only been to 5 shows at sea). And I like cruises of over 28 days with lots of sea days. I don't see the point for cruising less than 14, but that, as I say, is me

That is how I made my opinions and decisions... If you like e'm cool if not, well now you know how I derived my conclusion. I did not care about what the ship is whether a simple or luxury class.. In short no status goals

And Yes for me the cost of sailing with Holland VS Marina , all things considered same length 36 days, same route Trans Pacific, Cabin of same size and class ( cheapest veranda), same departure ports same ending ports. similar size ship 1000 ( Amsterdam). came out that Holland out almost $900 a day for the whole cost door to door for me and Oceania about $630 a day per day, not pp. That got my attention... in fact shocked the heck out of me.

My entire point was that there are a lot more costs associated with a cruise, that need to be honestly considered. And second what you might think cost more may in fact actually cost far less .... or very slight difference.

I read all the posts about how great Oceania cruise line is and that the prices are better than NCL etal, but when I GOOGLE Oceania cruise line, I see 2 for 1 sales and 75 percent off.

When some of the mainstream cruise lines put out this kind of sales, the boards went viral with comments about them not being able to fill the cabins and that they were going under.

Any comments ???

Edited by swedish weave

I read all the posts about how great Oceania cruise line is and that the prices are better than NCL etal, but when I GOOGLE Oceania cruise line, I see 2 for 1 sales and 75 percent off.

When some of the mainstream cruise lines put out this kind of sales, the boards went viral with comments about them not being able to fill the cabins and that they were going under.

Any comments ???

Good point.

Truth I have sailed several times on NCL...Hawaii, Carrribe and Alaska... and was turned off on the experience. The paint job really put me over the top.

Now this is a hoot! The paint job on an NCL ship was a turn off but Navy gray is okay????

BTW, a battle ready US Navy Carrier has over 5,000 sailors on them while at sea, not 3,000.

Edited by Out to sea!

So yes I have sailed but not in the past 18 years Seeing the Epic just reinforced my opinion

Tried Holland for a bit and it was better...then I went Regent... took several 3 to 4 week cruises in the Pacific. Then they went super all inclusive, and Oceaina appeared as a ala carte version of Regent where I could do my own stuff as an option.

My values are the ship must be a ship and focus on the ocean experience, It must be 1200 or less passengers and under 700 ft. It must offer high quality enrichment lectures and classes, and it must have total freedom and flexibility in where you eat and with a large variety to choose from and cordon blu quality. No kids...or very rarely will you ever ( or I have ever seen one)see one. It must offer a casual dress with no formals or lets meet the captain BS. yet be quiet understated and high quality in everything.

Finally, I am a people person( Don can attest to that) who enjoys meeting diverse and interesting people, I do not enjoy crowds or Vegas like resorts and can entertain myself without much help (in 30 years I have only been to 5 shows at sea). And I like cruises of over 28 days with lots of sea days. I don't see the point for cruising less than 14, but that, as I say, is me

That is how I made my opinions and decisions... If you like e'm cool if not, well now you know how I derived my conclusion. I did not care about what the ship is whether a simple or luxury class.. In short no status goals

And Yes for me the cost of sailing with Holland VS Marina , all things considered same length 36 days, same route Trans Pacific, Cabin of same size and class ( cheapest veranda), same departure ports same ending ports. similar size ship 1000 ( Amsterdam). came out that Holland out almost $900 a day for the whole cost door to door for me and Oceania about $630 a day per day, not pp. That got my attention... in fact shocked the heck out of me.

My entire point was that there are a lot more costs associated with a cruise, that need to be honestly considered. And second what you might think cost more may in fact actually cost far less .... or very slight difference.

Last cruised on NCL 18 years ago? Let's see...it wasn't the same ships, the ownership and management of the cruise line was completely different...there was no such thing as freestyle dining...oh and 18 years ago those paint jobs that horrify you didn't exist.

How anyone can draw a conclusion about a business or service today based on what it was like 18 years ago is beyond me.